Reckless Love

dethuniverse

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be a common trend these days....the latest Scorps is one that springs to mind.

In some ways it is cool but in some ways it is annoying too, just like Japanese releases.

I just think it's annoying in every single way. :) Only one track worth getting there ('Get Electric'), which I will download and not feel an ounce of guilt for doing so. The other 4 I couldn't care less about and I just think releases like this are an evil, ugly and homosexual scam. :)

This seems to be a common trend these days....the latest Scorps is one that springs to mind.

In some ways it is cool but in some ways it is annoying too, just like Japanese releases.

I just think it's annoying in every single way. :) Only one track worth getting there ('Get Electric'), which I will download and not feel an ounce of guilt for doing so. The other 4 I couldn't care less about and I just think releases like this are an evil, ugly and homosexual scam. :)

Jerks!

• My Little Pony

I only just gave this a listen, today. It's not bad, but I'm not feeling it the way most of you are. Beautiful Bomb is an irresistably bombastic track, and Sex is a gooey, lustful ballad, but this album doesn't have me jizzing in my pants. Maybe with a few more spins it will grow--I might also like the album more, too. ;)

The Cool Edition benefits people like me, I s'pose.

Yeah I bought this album already and will not be buying it again. It really pisses me off when something gets re released such a short time later with bonus tracks etc. It's almost a bit of a "fuck you" to the fans that already purchased the album when it came out. I've already downloaded the new version.

Simple - Trade your old copy and get the new one. I will be :bananamac:

think I said before, but you wont like the acoustic version of 'sex'.....the appeal of this song was the lush guitar etc....acoustic doesnt work.

I'll be glad to get hold of a copy of the Leppard cover as it was great when they performed it live at the last London gig.

I will probably rebuy the album, but dont know if I will get rid of my original copy as its signed by Hessu.

Yeah... way to early to release this with bonus tracks. After buying the first one, there is no way I will buy this directly from the band. I'll wait a few months and then start scoping ebay or someplace else where the band can't profit any more from a scam like this.

Actually I'm not sure I will even do that... I too don't believe this is a great release. A couple really good songs and a lot of mediocre tunes.

It's really not the band thats at fault with this, its the record label.

While there may be some financial benefit to them, which I am sure they will not turn down, I doubt they have much say in this release.

• My Little Pony

While there may be some financial benefit to them, which I am sure they will not turn down, I doubt they have much say in this release.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Still not getting my money again. Way too much other stuff out there that should be bought instead of spending money on 11 songs I already have, a cover song, a couple acoustic tunes, and a re-mixed of a song I already have.

I'm sure it will sell fairly well with out me buying it.

Its been a standard practice for years now, mostly limited to bigger bands and labels, but its getting more and more frequent with smaller labels now as well.

RL are on the Spinefarm label, but as far as I can see, Spinefarm is just part of the Universal group anyway.

When a band releases an album and there is a standard and deluxe version at release, its not too bad, but when they start re-releasing albums 6-12 months after the original, with bonus tracks or extra CDs/DVDs etc, its just dirty pool on the labels part.

Tbh, most of the time I will just ignore the reissue and just download the bonus tracks when someone uploads them. I only buy the reissue if its a band or an album I am a huge fan of.

Just look at the new Slash album as a perfect example of record company rip off.

First of all the album was released in multiple formats to start with, all featuring different bonus tracks, then within months they release a deluxe version with an extra disc featuring nearly all of those bonus tracks, some new live tracks and a DVD.

They claim that downloading is killing the music industry, but I say its tactics like this that are helping people decide that maybe illegal downloading is the way to go.

Sadly, the record companies are not the ones who will be hurt, its the artists themselves.

Brother Firetribe did this too recently didnt they?

Yes - The 'False Metal' album was re-badged as 'Break Out' and added the excellent 'Mighty Wings' (which should have been on the original album to be honest) aswell as a cover of Dio's 'Hungry For Heaven' and an acoustic 'Love Goes Down'

The Scorpions and Ozzy Osbourne have just done it with 'Sting In The Tail' and 'Scream', but the list is pretty much endless of others aswell.

Some are worth the extra effort in re-buying, but it is a pain in the arse when it happens. The only answer is to leave off buying the album until the 'Special Editions' are released, although I know what most of us are like in wanting the albums on release dates or shortly afterwards. As I said, I usually re-buy and trade off the original versions, which usually works out.

I'm getting to the point where I think I will wait until 6-8 months AFTER the initial release to see if they come out with something. That might cause me to download the first release just to listen to it, then buy the "bonus" one later. If other people go this route it could hurt their intial sales numbers. Maybe this is the wrong approach. I dunno.

• My Little Pony

I'm getting to the point where I think I will wait until 6-8 months AFTER the initial release to see if they come out with something. That might cause me to download the first release just to listen to it, then buy the "bonus" one later. If other people go this route it could hurt their intial sales numbers. Maybe this is the wrong approach. I dunno.

It's kinda what I do--download now, buy later. Although, I don't do it for the special editions, I just don't feel like spending money on something I'm not certain about. By the time I do buy it, there may be a re-release out. This method is beneficial to me, though I'm not sure what the effect--if any--is on the artist. From what I know, artists don't make a lot on CD sales. Most of their revenue comes from shows and merch. However, indie artists are an exception. Perhaps some of the HH members that are in the industry can shed some light on this discussion, though that may be better suited for a new thread.

'

The Scorpions and Ozzy Osbourne have just done it with 'Sting In The Tail' and 'Scream', but the list is pretty much endless of others aswell.

Is the new tour edition of Scream any different to the original two disc version that came out when it was originally released?

I have been comparing both on Amazon, and the track listings seem identical.

'

Is the new tour edition of Scream any different to the original two disc version that came out when it was originally released?

Was there a 2 disc version when it first came out? I know there is now a tour edition (US) and a deluxe edition (UK) which are the same, but they were released in October :unsure:

Anyway it has 7 bonus tracks (3 studio inc. the itunes only track, Jap bonus track + an unreleased song + 4 new live tracks) plus the 3 vids and is pretty worthwhile getting I think.

It's kinda what I do--download now, buy later. Although, I don't do it for the special editions, I just don't feel like spending money on something I'm not certain about. By the time I do buy it, there may be a re-release out. This method is beneficial to me, though I'm not sure what the effect--if any--is on the artist. From what I know, artists don't make a lot on CD sales. Most of their revenue comes from shows and merch. However, indie artists are an exception. Perhaps some of the HH members that are in the industry can shed some light on this discussion, though that may be better suited for a new thread.

Yep, count me in too. I download first too, make sure the album is worthwhile, then buy the CD. Obviously there are several bands that bypass the download stage, but when you don't have money to burn it's the way to go, imo. Plus, as you guys say, it gives you an opportunity to pick which release you do buy when all 18 versions of the one CD are available. Me, personally? I always stick with the cheapest version so if that means keeping 2 or 3 bonus tracks on my Ipod while I get the CD for the rest of the album, I'm at peace with that. :)

Yep, count me in too. I download first too, make sure the album is worthwhile, then buy the CD. Obviously there are several bands that bypass the download stage, but when you don't have money to burn it's the way to go, imo. Plus, as you guys say, it gives you an opportunity to pick which release you do buy when all 18 versions of the one CD are available. Me, personally? I always stick with the cheapest version so if that means keeping 2 or 3 bonus tracks on my Ipod while I get the CD for the rest of the album, I'm at peace with that. :)

Well... If people quit buying the original release I imagine we wouldn't see these "rip-off" bonus releases so soon after.

'

Was there a 2 disc version when it first came out? I know there is now a tour edition (US) and a deluxe edition (UK) which are the same, but they were released in October :unsure:

Anyway it has 7 bonus tracks (3 studio inc. the itunes only track, Jap bonus track + an unreleased song + 4 new live tracks) plus the 3 vids and is pretty worthwhile getting I think.

I thought they did the same as they do with so many albums these days, release a standard and deluxe version at original release. Didnt realise the deluxe one came later as I still havent picked it up yet (its on one of my many christmas lists, so I may get it as a present).

• 4 months later...