The Poodles

Glen

4 tiny tiny weeny clips from the new album

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=487168529

Not much to go one there, although I have heard the whole 'One In Ten' which is a cool song. I pre-ordered the album from their site as the release outside of Sweden has been delayed.

Ive been listening to this band from Sweden a couple years now. I have both their CDs and really enjoy them. they have a new CD coming out May 20th called "Clash Of The Elements"

COTE-front-780458.jpg

You can check out sound bytes from the whole album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvnbE_kHmZ0

Sounds damn good!!

I'm in love!!!!!

Sounds alot less Nordic sounding than Sweet Trade, Geoff should be pleased, it's more 80's sleazy rock. An absolute must have for me, I can't wait.

After hearing the clips I can wait to hear all of "Caroline", I already love "One Out Of Ten", can't wait to hear all of "I Rule The Night" and "Don't Rescue Me" and the closer "Wings Of Destiny"

• 3 weeks later...

Just spinning a promo and here are my first thoughts as I go through this:

01. Too Much Of Everything ; am I seriously hearing this right? Who the f*ck puts a shitty half-assed ballad at the start of an album to open things up? Seriously, absolutely apalling decision from everyone involved in this project. The chorus is decent enough but the rest is crap, but honestly, this is just a shitty, dull and boring start to an album. For a hard rock band, this is a disgrace.

02. Caroline ; one of the better songs I've ever heard from these guys. I really really like this one.

03. Like No Tomorrow ; a bit of an average rocker. Not bad, not great.

04. One Out Of Ten ; great ballad that most of us have already heard. Very nice track.

05. I Rule The Night ; sounds like it's straight off the debut. Great melodic rocker.

06. Give Me A Sign ; really cool melodic rocker. Again, could have been lifted off the debut. Very nice.

07. Sweet Enemy ; not bad at all. Slightly heavier and darker slow paced rocker. I like this.

08. 7 Days & 7 Nights ; average "party" rocker.

09. Pilot Of The Storm ; there are a few times on this disc where singer Jakob Samuel really has a Mats Leven vibe, like on this song. I love it. This song is one of the best so far. Another great hard rocker similar to the best of the debut. Killer track.

10. Can't Let You Go ; yum! One of the best ballads these guys have recorded, which is a nice compliment as they actually have some superb ones (the only saving grace off 'Sweet Trade' was that wonderful closing ballad). Great song.

11. Don't Rescue Me ; oh my goodness! Best song The Poodles have ever recorded? Wow, I am totally in love with this one. I have to admit, for an album I had no expectations for, this is danger of rating within my top 5 this year based on this stuff. I'd say this is probably the most "commercial" song they've ever recorded. The chorus is deathly delicious. Favourite song off the disc.

12. Heart Of Gold ; more thumbs raised completely in an upright placement. Great darker melodic rocker.

13. Dream To Follow ; wow, they're just showing off now. Not missing a beat. Another great upbeat melodic rocker. Love it.

14. Wings Of Destiny ; another great closer. Big, big ballad. Super nice again. The AOR fans will salivate over this one.

Holy shit, what a turnaround. Strangely, the reception on this site appeared to be very positive towards the terrible 'Sweet Trade', but for those of us disgusted by how crap it was ( ;) I'm such a troublemaker... but seriously, it did suck), please do not be put off trying this. Pontus Norgren is a great guitarist, but honestly, I think his departure was essential to this band not making another slice of shit like 'Sweet trade'. I have no idea whose influence was greatest on that disc, but I have a feeling that that whole overly Nordic viking shitty feel to that disc was probably mostly his doing... and the fact that there is not a trace of that crap on this disc, I think it might be a pretty safe assumption.

This disc is 10,000 steps in the right direction after that trainwreck that was 'Sweet Trade' and at least on par with the debut, if not slightly better. Great effort. Now, did I mention how f*cking shit the first song and it's placement are?

Just spinning a promo and here are my first thoughts as I go through this:

01. Too Much Of Everything ; am I seriously hearing this right? Who the f*ck puts a shitty half-assed ballad at the start of an album to open things up? Seriously, absolutely apalling decision from everyone involved in this project. The chorus is decent enough but the rest is crap, but honestly, this is just a shitty, dull and boring start to an album. For a hard rock band, this is a disgrace.

02. Caroline ; one of the better songs I've ever heard from these guys. I really really like this one.

03. Like No Tomorrow ; a bit of an average rocker. Not bad, not great.

04. One Out Of Ten ; great ballad that most of us have already heard. Very nice track.

05. I Rule The Night ; sounds like it's straight off the debut. Great melodic rocker.

06. Give Me A Sign ; really cool melodic rocker. Again, could have been lifted off the debut. Very nice.

07. Sweet Enemy ; not bad at all. Slightly heavier and darker slow paced rocker. I like this.

08. 7 Days & 7 Nights ; average "party" rocker.

09. Pilot Of The Storm ; there are a few times on this disc where singer Jakob Samuel really has a Mats Leven vibe, like on this song. I love it. This song is one of the best so far. Another great hard rocker similar to the best of the debut. Killer track.

10. Can't Let You Go ; yum! One of the best ballads these guys have recorded, which is a nice compliment as they actually have some superb ones (the only saving grace off 'Sweet Trade' was that wonderful closing ballad). Great song.

11. Don't Rescue Me ; oh my goodness! Best song The Poodles have ever recorded? Wow, I am totally in love with this one. I have to admit, for an album I had no expectations for, this is danger of rating within my top 5 this year based on this stuff. I'd say this is probably the most "commercial" song they've ever recorded. The chorus is deathly delicious. Favourite song off the disc.

12. Heart Of Gold ; more thumbs raised completely in an upright placement. Great darker melodic rocker.

13. Dream To Follow ; wow, they're just showing off now. Not missing a beat. Another great upbeat melodic rocker. Love it.

14. Wings Of Destiny ; another great closer. Big, big ballad. Super nice again. The AOR fans will salivate over this one.

Holy shit, what a turnaround. Strangely, the reception on this site appeared to be very positive towards the terrible 'Sweet Trade', but for those of us disgusted by how crap it was ( ;) I'm such a troublemaker... but seriously, it did suck), please do not be put off trying this. Pontus Norgren is a great guitarist, but honestly, I think his departure was essential to this band not making another slice of shit like 'Sweet trade'. I have no idea whose influence was greatest on that disc, but I have a feeling that that whole overly Nordic viking shitty feel to that disc was probably mostly his doing... and the fact that there is not a trace of that crap on this disc, I think it might be a pretty safe assumption.

This disc is 10,000 steps in the right direction after that trainwreck that was 'Sweet Trade' and at least on par with the debut, if not slightly better. Great effort. Now, did I mention how f*cking shit the first song and it's placement are?

Looks like I will be picking this up as well. :) Hey Geoff, got "Hedley--Famous Last Words" cd yet? It rocks!!!!! I liked the Juke Kartel cd.....those guys are awesome! Thats another good recommendation from you! You should check out "Since October" They are good as well. Cheers!

Pontus Norgren is a great guitarist, but honestly, I think his departure was essential to this band not making another slice of shit like 'Sweet trade'. I have no idea whose influence was greatest on that disc, but I have a feeling that that whole overly Nordic viking shitty feel to that disc was probably mostly his doing... and the fact that there is not a trace of that crap on this disc, I think it might be a pretty safe assumption.

Weird mate, Nordic?? All I heard on Sweet Trade was awesome melodic hard rock.

Im spinning Sweet Trade as we speak and if the 2nd side is Nordic Im a monkey's uncle. LOL.

Looking forward to playing the newie.

Pontus Norgren is a great guitarist, but honestly, I think his departure was essential to this band not making another slice of shit like 'Sweet trade'. I have no idea whose influence was greatest on that disc, but I have a feeling that that whole overly Nordic viking shitty feel to that disc was probably mostly his doing... and the fact that there is not a trace of that crap on this disc, I think it might be a pretty safe assumption.

Im spinning Sweet Trade as we speak and if the 2nd side is Nordic Im a monkey's uncle. LOL.

I hear what Geoff is saying with the Nordic. I'd call it more Power Metal without the fast as hell drums. But the themes and melodies remind me of Power Metal without all the Opera/Symphonic stuff.

I'm with Lennie/Glen (why the name change?) It's a killer disc, especially the second half of it.

Have had the new Poodles now for a week or so and it is indeed better than 'Sweet Trade', but not by a whole lot to be brutally honest. This, as with the last 2 discs, is a good, top quality melodic rock record as Glen mentions, and if you liked those, pretty much guaranteed you will like this aswell, as soundwise it slips neatly along side the other two without many changes along the way. I still prefer 'Metal Will Stand Tall' overall, but this is a great disc and well worth checking out.

I hear what Geoff is saying with the Nordic. I'd call it more Power Metal without the fast as hell drums. But the themes and melodies remind me of Power Metal without all the Opera/Symphonic stuff.

I'm with Lennie/Glen (why the name change?) It's a killer disc, especially the second half of it.

Yeah, I 100% stand by my comments on the "nordic" sound of most of that disc. If I do recall rightly so there were some half decent rockers towards the end, and the ballad was excellent. But there was a whole lot of shit on that disc, and imo the decent rockers at the end weren't really that good. I will whip it out and give it a spin again, though. Maybe. Just for you guys. :)

Either way, I own the debut and will certainly buy the new disc but I can't see me ever having 'Sweet Trade' in my collection.

Yeah, I 100% stand by my comments on the "nordic" sound of most of that disc. If I do recall rightly so there were some half decent rockers towards the end, and the ballad was excellent. But there was a whole lot of shit on that disc, and imo the decent rockers at the end weren't really that good. I will whip it out and give it a spin again, though. Maybe. Just for you guys. :)

Either way, I own the debut and will certainly buy the new disc but I can't see me ever having 'Sweet Trade' in my collection.

'the decent rockers at the end weren't really that good'

Ha, you do really make me laugh sometimes...those 3 rockers are excellent MHR mate. You need to get that fluff out of your ears. LOL.

As for the newie.....spun it this morning and for me its just a continuation of the last 2 (as Jez rightly stated). Soundwise almost exactly what you would expect of a Scandi melodic rock band. There are a couple of awesome rockers towards the end and in general this is probably (just) their best release. Certainly better than the patchy debut which whilst having about 5 awesome rockers also had a whole bunch of shitty filler as well.

One of the best in the MHR field in 09 for sure.

Cheers

There are a couple of awesome rockers towards the end and in general this is probably (just) their best release. Certainly better than the patchy debut which whilst having about 5 awesome rockers also had a whole bunch of shitty filler as well.

Having spun it a few more times, we can definitely agree that this is their best album. I completely agree with you that there is some atrocious stuff on the debut. But the best of that disc were still pretty freakin' awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my copy in today, in a modern (never before seen by me) styled jewel case. I'm fucked if it breaks, I have no clue where to find another like it.

On with the music. I pretty much agree with Geoff's take on the songs. The lead track seems out of place, don't hate it, just doesn't belong as the opening track. Caroline is my instant favorite, along with I Rule The Night and Don't Rescue Me. A few crappy tunes on this one, like the awful 7 Days & 7 Nights and the boring ballad Can't Let You Go, not a fan of it, well not yet. Not sure if It's my favorite Poodles release. I still think the stretch from track 7 to 12 on Sweet Trade is the band at its best.

I like Clash Of The Elements, but something tells me that I may be losing interest in the band. No real surprises or changes in the song structures, lyrics, vocal tones and very little guitar shredding/soloing, which I enjoy. Something tells me I'll be getting bored of The Poodles pretty quickly if they don't go out on a limb and do something a little more creative on their next release. It was like I had already heard the release before ever really hearing it. Their songs are all starting to sound too similar and familiar.

First album did nothing for me except for Metal Will Stand Tall.

I absolutely loved the second one. It was probably my favorite release of the year.

This one has not hit me at all, with the exception of 3 songs: Caroline, I Rule the Night and Dream to Follow. It is a huge disappointment at this point, but still probably better than their first one.

I like Clash Of The Elements, but something tells me that I may be losing interest in the band. No real surprises or changes in the song structures, lyrics, vocal tones and very little guitar shredding/soloing, which I enjoy. Something tells me I'll be getting bored of The Poodles pretty quickly if they don't go out on a limb and do something a little more creative on their next release. It was like I had already heard the release before ever really hearing it. Their songs are all starting to sound too similar and familiar.

Yeah, I dig this. I like this album and will do after this... but I started off with a potential list of about 8 songs for my Ipod. In the end only 'One out of ten' and 'Don't rescue me' made it onto my Ipod. I do like this band, but not overly wild about them.

Yeah, I dig this. I like this album and will do after this... but I started off with a potential list of about 8 songs for my Ipod. In the end only 'One out of ten' and 'Don't rescue me' made it onto my Ipod. I do like this band, but not overly wild about them.

i havent listened to this for about 2 weeks now...but was starting to feel it was my favourite release of the year.

will re-visit soon.

• 1 month later...

Agree with Glenn ,sweet trade was my favorite cd two years ago.

Clash is one of the best release of 2009, I love everything this band do.

I loved Helloween when Andi Deris join the band (now they get too much heavy), the Poodles sometimes remind me this German bands (THe master of rings album).

Hope to see them live, one day.

This is another one of those bands that I avoided purely due to their name... A fool am I.... I kicked myself after I heard a few of their tracks. They have a good sound, fantastic guitar riffage and groovy melodies... Me Likey!

This is another one of those bands that I avoided purely due to their name... A fool am I.... I kicked myself after I heard a few of their tracks. They have a good sound, fantastic guitar riffage and groovy melodies... Me Likey!

Yeah, what's up with the lame name anyway?

• 2 months later...

I finally got my copy of this yesterday. I'm gonna say that this is their best release to date hands down. This thing was chock full of some great anthems and a killer power ballad to boot. Sure, there are a couple of fillers on the disc, but I almost expected that out of 14 songs. I got this for a steal of $6.50 off e-bay and it's worth every penny. Definitely recommend this one.

• My Little Pony

I have a hard time understanding the general 'logic' around here. This disc is easily my No. 1 of 2009. There's a lot being said about 'Too Much of Everything' being a shitty song and a terrible choice for the first track, which I disagree with. Yeah, initially I didn't care for it, but it's definitely grown on me, to the point where it's one of my favourite off the album. I can't say enough about this album--though you would agrue I already have--and I don't believe there's a single filler on it. The Poodles have come a long way since their debut, and they're easily my most anticpated band.

I need to give this band another shot...the campy factor turned me off at first, although the music was impressive...I guess I was taking it too seriously.

All three of their albums are great!

I just re-listened to 'Clash Of The Elements' this morning cos im seeing them on Sat and it is still a great album. Definitely a top 10 disc for 2009.

• My Little Pony
I need to give this band another shot...the campy factor turned me off at first, although the music was impressive...I guess I was taking it too seriously.

All three of their albums are great!

I just re-listened to 'Clash Of The Elements' this morning cos im seeing them on Sat and it is still a great album. Definitely a top 10 disc for 2009.

You ratt bagg! I wanna see 'em.