Europe - Last Look At Eden

Mike Tuinstra

I don't think we can expect any of these older bands to return to their "classic" sounds. In most cases it would be a "going through the motions" proposition. If the songwriting is strong then it will show through no matter what the style. I thought 'Secret Society' has some really strong songs (but not enough of them). 'Start From The Dark' did nothing for me. "Prisoners In Paradise' is by far my Favorite Europe album. Joey's solo cds are super cool in my opinion. They have good songwriting (even if they're in a different style to his stuff with Europe).

I would take Kee Marcello over Norum any day of the week and 89 times on the rest of the days.

Backedx1,000.

Norum may technically be more gifted, but since when has he ever used that ability to make a good record? Maybe his first solo disc ("Total Control"), but not since then. Marcello has feel & a great ear for melody, & played on easily the best 2 Europe albums IMHO...

I would take Kee Marcello over Norum any day of the week and 89 times on the rest of the days.

Backedx1,000.

Norum may technically be more gifted, but since when has he ever used that ability to make a good record? Maybe his first solo disc ("Total Control"), but not since then. Marcello has feel & a great ear for melody, & played on easily the best 2 Europe albums IMHO...

'Total Control' is good, but in Norum's defence, 'Face the Truth' is far and away the best thing he ever recorded. Absolutely fantastic album. And the last good album he ever recorded...

• 4 weeks later...

Yep - it's total shit. I predominantly listen to Modern Rock these days so would welcome a catchy/upbeat Modern Rock disc from them with open arms, but they flat-out SUCK & should give up immediately and stop dragging the Europe name through the mud....

Listen to full studio versions of Last Look At Eden and U Devil U.

Europe - Last Look At Eden single sampler

I don't like it. It's the same old Alternative/Grunge sound all over again. I did see something in Last Look based on the previous link I posted but this is just vocoder shit. Close and avoid would be my advice.

Last look at Eden seems like a follow on from the last two albums, so people around here wont like it. I duno, its not what i want, but it might grow on me as i liked those albums. Still would prefer they put out a modern Prisoners of P album.

Both sound quite good, nothing stunning, but still good.

It will certainly have more appeal for those who liked the last two (including me), but anyone expecting a return to the old days, isnt gonna be happy.

Oh man. If I heard that 'Last Look At Eden' was the weakest song on the album I could handle that one as being an average filler. I don't hate it, but I sure as hell don't like it.

What I do hate, though, is 'U Devil U'. That is possibly the worst Europe song I have ever heard, and after the last 2 discs that's actually saying quite a bit.

Okay, I'm basically done with this thing here, but there's a new song called Gonna Get Ready that's just a tad more in the past direction IMO. Just to see what y'all think. It's a live version so should you like it, don't get excited. It'll most likely get the usual F up in Alternative production.

Doesn't sound bad to me. But I guess if the whole album was all 80's 'Final Countdown' sounding music, people would probably complain about that also.

The album cover looks like the inner of a fruit and/or a CAT scan image section of a body part (possibly female) at the same time.

Sigh....yes, 'U Devil U' is pretty bad like others have said. I won't completely rule out the album yet though. I really WANT to like Europe. Joey Tempest has an amazing voice. They just aren't connecting with the fans though it seems. I don't want a Final Countdown album, but a modern take of Prisoners In Paradise would be cool. Sadly, it seems like they're more interested in their downtuned guitars or whatever than the natural gift they used to have to craft a killer hook and chorus. The next leaked single or two better be pretty amazing or else there's not gonna be enough tracks on the new album to be a keeper.

• 2 months later...

New, second single New Love In Town. Neat little tune, definitely more trademark, melodic Europe approach IMO. Not sold on the vocals though, but I like it. And that's a lot coming from me. :)

Europe - New Love In Town

As just posted on the Europe forum: scroll down this page and click Europe - New Love In Town out of the selection of new songs displayed here. The site itself is in a different language I can't read myself either. Lucky for us the song titles are still in English. :lol:B)

1. "Prelude"

2. "Last Look at Eden" ; good opener. Nice subtle use of keys... just good solid hard rock. I really quite like this.

3. "Gonna Get Ready" ; another cool rocker. Hate Norum's guitar tone, but a decent song.

4. "Catch That Plane" ; Joey Tempest sounds so awesome... but that down tuned guitar riff just murders any chance this has of being good. I really hate the guitar.

5. "New Love in Town" ; Oh man, Joey Tempest again is right at the top of his form. This is good. Real good. Possibly the best, most 'proper' Europe track since they got back together. And here's the double-edged sword coming into play. Norum sounds great in this in the solo and the nice little guitar pieces amidst the song. Man the dude can still play when he doesn't mess around.

6. "The Beast" ; good solid heavy rocker. This heavy riff I can deal with. Very cool song. Monster solo from Norum.

7. "Mojito Girl" ; no, do not like this one at all. Awful verses, awful guitar. Nothing good about this at all.

8. "No Stone Unturned" ; another miss. Very 'modern'... just not good. I don't know why, it just doesn't click with me. Very boring song.

9. "Only Young Twice" ; oh no, looks like we're seeing a collapse here after a nice start. Another big miss. Awful annoying chorus and overall track. Hate it.

10. "U Devil U" ; Oh man, the riff that opens this song... I swear you'd think you were listening to Dokken's 'Shadowlife'. Absolutely f*cking terrible. Where's Kee Marcello? :lol: Worst track so far.

11. "Run with the Angels" ; another miss, but Tempest is shining again. Man I'd forgotten how much I love this dude's voice. The nice mix of tender vocals in verses and aggression in the chorus almost make this worthwhile, but it's still a very weak, down tuned ugly track.

11. "In My Time" ; nice closing ballad. Not an amazing hook, but nothing wrong with this at all.

Man, what I shame. I really thought we were onto something good with the way this started. Some strong songs which sounded better than the last two albums... but then it just dropped right into what most people have hated so much about the last two albums. I hate to say it, but I just don't think Norum is doing the band any favours. The guitar is absolutely awful on most of this... even though he still shreds come solo time. And the ballads. He sounds wonderful on those... but all this down tuned bullshit went out of flavour with everyone about a decade ago... why's it taking so long for the memo to reach him?

• 3 weeks later...
Special edition comes with a 7" red vinyl.

51dWz9oNq0L._SS500_.jpg

Got this this morning, and found out that each copy is personally signed, so it really is a limited edition unlike most so called limited editions.

It comes in a 7" single gatefold case, with the CD in a cardboard slipcase with the insert booklet seperate.

The red vinyl has two live tracks on it, recorded in Paris 2005. They are Sign of the times and Start from the dark.

As for the music itself. Like the last two Europe albums, I am certainly digging this one as well.

Basically, if you hated the last two albums, you will probably hate this as well.