OUTLOUD

zacharyamelie

'Tonite' is good, if a bit generic (where oh where have we heard that Keyboard line before and the rest of the song come to think of it - I was singing the chorus before they even got to it)

Runaway - BJ.

Well thats what I first thought when I heard that keyboard

I'll do you a long list tomorrow mate ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Tonite' is good, if a bit generic (where oh where have we heard that Keyboard line before and the rest of the song come to think of it - I was singing the chorus before they even got to it)

Runaway - BJ.

Are they borrowing more off the 80s than Steel Panther then ;-)

Runaway - BJ.

Are they borrowing more off the 80s than Steel Panther then ;-)

Haha, never that bad mate, plus were talking about a serious 'proper' band here. I'm talking just that opening track and the 'dut dut' keys and chorus and general structure of the song that has been done soo many times (if slightly more updated here), by hundreds of bands from as way back as 1978 from my initial thoughts.

Haha, never that bad mate, plus were talking about a serious 'proper' band here.

Ha! What nonsense. So now an average band with average songs and plain lyrics is a proper band and an excellent band with killer songs and humerous lyrics is not proper? Not my maths, but if it works for you...

Oh well, it's not a crime to be comfortable with mediocrity, I guess. ;)

I think with this CD I'm where Matt and Ali are at. From the samples I thought this'd be something special but the end result is really nothing that special at all. :( Not even a top tenner, imo.

Haha, never that bad mate, plus were talking about a serious 'proper' band here.

Ha! What nonsense. So now an average band with average songs and plain lyrics is a proper band and an excellent band with killer songs and humerous lyrics is not proper? Not my maths, but if it works for you...

...And right on cue, the SP fanboy arrives.

Is Ricky Ponting your dad, or is it the PMT again ;)

Sorry Toto fanboy (? I guess... or is it The Darkness fanboy? Or Cheap Trick fanboy?) but your silly comments on this subject beg to be replied to. Never have I seen you speak such consistent nonsense my good man. :)

Sorry Toto fanboy (? I guess... or is it The Darkness fanboy? Or Cheap Trick fanboy?) but your silly comments on this subject beg to be replied to. Never have I seen you speak such consistent nonsense my good man. :)

I learn't from the best mate and your highly amusing Ashes Rant earlier. I have just sellotaped my tits back on after laughing so much. Thanx for that. ;)

Been a Cheap Trick fanboy before you were born mate and proud. :guitbannana:

I learn't from the best mate and your highly amusing Ashes Rant earlier. I have just sellotaped my tits back on after laughing so much. Thanx for that. ;)

Glad you got a laugh out of it, considering the way the game is arranged is a joke.

My condolences on the whole Cheap Trick thing. Fingers crossed they finally get round to releasing a second good album. ;)

Glad you got a laugh out of it, considering the way the game is arranged is a joke.

My condolences on the whole Cheap Trick thing. Fingers crossed they finally get round to releasing a second good album. ;)

At least they have done 1 good one then hey! :whistle:

Yep, one good one. Steel Panther already have one excellent one. ;) Even if Steel Panther are a one hit wonder they've done better than Cheap Trick have for the 70 years they've been recording music. :)

Yep, one good one. Steel Panther already have one excellent one. ;) Even if Steel Panther are a one hit wonder they've done better than Cheap Trick have for the 70 years they've been recording music. :)

Haha - Seeing as Cheap Trick are a 'Shithouse' band as you call them and really aren't your thing, I bet you haven't even heard half of their discs to make a judgment on to be honest, so that 'Opinion' means absolutely nothing.

This is not my thing at all really. A little generic for me, and hate those vocals.

Just getting this thread back on track.

Having just Spotified the Firenote album, i'll take your comment on bad vocals with a pinch of salt. I mean this guy crucifies the bloke from Firenote. Period.

This is not my thing at all really. A little generic for me, and hate those vocals.

Just getting this thread back on track.

Having just Spotified the Firenote album, i'll take your comment on bad vocals with a pinch of salt. I mean this guy crucifies the bloke from Firenote. Period.

Well I think they're both bad. Frankly neither should be anywhere near fronting a band, there are far too many great singers around who aren't in work. The difference was that here - as opposed to Firenote - I didn't really like the music either....

Just had another listen to this and whilst the word 'generic' has been banded about a fair bit (& id tend to agree to a certain extent) there's no denying that this album kicks major arse. Those solos just smoke.

I'm with Glen. While I agree that it's nothing groundbreaking and is a bit generic, the music kicks ass and I have no problem with the singer. I liked this the first time I heard it and that's almost 98% of the time how I judge the good from the shit. Some discs do "grow" on you, but those are few and far between.

Alot of stuff is pretty generic these days, and it is hard to come up with something fresh and new that hasn't been done umpteen times over, so when I use the word in some cases (as here) it isn't necessarily meant as a bad thing. This is fairly good in places, just a little more originality over 10 or 12 songs it would have been so much better. The same goes for both the Halestorm & Firenote discs aswell, both of which I quite like, but both suffering the same problem. There are probably a whole load more to add to these three to be honest.

Alot of stuff is pretty generic these days, and it is hard to come up with something fresh and new that hasn't been done umpteen times over, so when I use the word in some cases (as here) it isn't necessarily meant as a bad thing. This is fairly good in places, just a little more originality over 10 or 12 songs it would have been so much better. The same goes for both the Halestorm & Firenote discs aswell, both of which I quite like, but both suffering the same problem. There are probably a whole load more to add to these three to be honest.

I love that Halestorm - much better than both Firenote and Outloud IMO.

Some people around here are hard to please. :unsure:

And others are far too easily pleased. ;)

With regard to the vocal discussion, I can't remember thinking this guy was too bad (will spin this one again soon, today) but I agree with Glen, the Firenote guy is awful. But there are 3 better songs on Firenote than anything on here. :)

And Jez, did you hear every Nirvana CD to decide they were not a good band? If I hear 5 CDs from a single band and am not entitled to form an opinion on them, I apologise. If you get stabbed in the face five times, are you going to go back to your attacker and ask for 5 more wounds to the face?

Just spinning this again now. I don't have any problem with the vocalist, to be honest. I don't mind him at all. MILES better than the Firenote dude. I just have to say again, just how bad that first track is. I don't see any other option but skipping it. It is so f*cking shit. But this next song, 'We run', that's good shit.

Just spinning this again now. I don't have any problem with the vocalist, to be honest. I don't mind him at all. MILES better than the Firenote dude. I just have to say again, just how bad that first track is. I don't see any other option but skipping it. It is so f*cking shit. But this next song, 'We run', that's good shit.

I personally love the vocalist. I think he's got a good voice.

Not every song on here is perfect but I think it's a real good disc.

This is true, but the problem is really the quality of AOR/MHR these days is so much lower than it was 15-20 years ago. Of course they have no money for recording/production & the discs mostly sound shit, but some of the stuff coming out is just so sub-standard that there were 500 discs from the 80's/early 90's that you're better off playing. The occasional gem comes along, but generally the standard these days is pretty poor IMO. It's the main reason I got into other genres of music instead...

that solo in the first song kicks my butt to kingdom come.

And others are far too easily pleased. ;)

With regard to the vocal discussion, I can't remember thinking this guy was too bad (will spin this one again soon, today) but I agree with Glen, the Firenote guy is awful. But there are 3 better songs on Firenote than anything on here. :)

And Jez, did you hear every Nirvana CD to decide they were not a good band? If I hear 5 CDs from a single band and am not entitled to form an opinion on them, I apologise. If you get stabbed in the face five times, are you going to go back to your attacker and ask for 5 more wounds to the face?

Yes mate, I have heard every Nirvana (or example) cd and I don't like any of them. I judge a band on each album, rather than making generalised statements. If you have heard say 5 Cheap Trick cd's and decided you don't like any of 'those' albums, then fair enough, but how the hell can you say ALL their albums are shit (except one) when you haven't even heard 2/3's of their back catologue? Simple answer - YOU CAN'T. It's not the first time you have said that either to be honest.

This is true, but the problem is really the quality of AOR/MHR these days is so much lower than it was 15-20 years ago. Of course they have no money for recording/production & the discs mostly sound shit, but some of the stuff coming out is just so sub-standard that there were 500 discs from the 80's/early 90's that you're better off playing. The occasional gem comes along, but generally the standard these days is pretty poor IMO. It's the main reason I got into other genres of music instead...

Completely agreeed and one of the reasons why the term 'generic' is banded about often these days aswell. Loads of bands trying to rehash everything (often unsuccessfully) from the glory days, without an original idea of their own.