New Kiss album to be released this fall...

Dark Star

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard all their early discs in their entirety, but surely 'Revenge' is their hardest rocking CD to date?

Yeah, it's pretty heavy, but...God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You II? Every Time I Look at You?!? I'll take Ace Frehley's solo disc over Revenge any day. :headbanger:

I think their early stuff is far from hard rockin stuff. like they have said, they wanted to be a heavy Beatles. Really, the band didn't get heavier till Eric Carr came on board. I once counted this band as a top 10 fav of mine but now I look back and think to myself "what was I thinking".

I do think the Revenge album was their Hardest rockin' album to date.

i wonder if they're still gonna write songs about banging chicks

Chicks, goats, sheep...all the barnyard animals will be covered. :tumbsup:

I think their early stuff is far from hard rockin stuff. like they have said, they wanted to be a heavy Beatles. Really, the band didn't get heavier till Eric Carr came on board. I once counted this band as a top 10 fav of mine but now I look back and think to myself "what was I thinking".

I do think the Revenge album was their Hardest rockin' album to date.

"Parasite" off of the Hotter Than Hell album was written in 1974 and will still peel the skin off of your face. CRANK IT! :guitbannana:

I've got a few of the early albums and aside from a couple songs here and there I'm not impressed.

I've stated that when I heard the original band was getting back together It was a huge mistake. some people I know thought I was crazy but I think I was right. It has been all downhill since the "reunion tour" and the next and so on and so on.

I honestly have never understood all the love for ANIMALIZE. That album is strictly average. There are, at best, three good songs on that record, and by the way, "Heaven's On Fire" ain't one of'em.

That record started a downhill slide that didn't 't stop till Gene quit trying to be Mr. Hollywood movie star/record label mogul, turned off his auto-pilot and got mean again on the REVENGE album.

'Animalize' is way better than the albums that followed prior to 'Revenge' but it's not near as good as 'Creatures of the Night' or 'Lick it Up' IMO.

Whoa whoa whoa, hang on a sec there.. Are You saying songs like "War Machine" "I Love it Loud" and "God of Thunder" Suck????? That can't be what you meant, could it??? :blink:

Um... technically, "God of Thunder" is a Paul song... he wrote it, not Gene.

And "War Machine" was co-written by Brian Adams.

I can't believe the sentiment being espoused for the 80s hair metal version of KISS. Aren't there ANY hard rockers left on these boards? And as far as the best songs being on the 80s stuff, let me list the classics before 1980:

Detroit Rock City

King of the Nighttime World

Do You Love Me

Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love

Love Gun

Firehouse

Strutter

Watchin' You

100.000 Years

Shock Me

I Stole Your Love

and the list goes on...

Here's the classics after 1980:

:whistle:

Listen, I'm a huge fan. I've had a love/hate relationship with this band almost my entire life. I even have sentimental attachments to the albums I don't particularly listen to very much (Animalize being the main one), and might be the only person on the planet who forgave them for making a grunge album in a moment of weakness (Carnival of Souls). Heck, I like that one better than anything after Dynasty. But most people who fell in love with the band did so because of the heavier stuff, not the Bon Jovi retreads...

The new CD might be crap, especially since Gene is running out of cliches and Paul is not the greatest producer, but I'll still buy it before I hear it, because they're still "my band" and...HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL! (Now THERE'S a cliche for you Gene!) :kiss:

I haven't heard all their early discs in their entirety, but surely 'Revenge' is their hardest rocking CD to date?

I would say overall that 'Creatures of the Night' is more Heavier an album than 'Revenge'.

And for the record the old shit, especially the debut up to Love Gun(well most of it) rocked hard for that era.

I can't believe the sentiment being espoused for the 80s hair metal version of KISS. Aren't there ANY hard rockers left on these boards? And as far as the best songs being on the 80s stuff, let me list the classics before 1980:

Detroit Rock City

Do You Love Me

Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love

Love Gun

Firehouse

Strutter

Watchin' You

100.000 Years

Shock Me

I Stole Your Love

and the list goes on...

Here's the classics after 1980:

:whistle:

Listen, I'm a huge fan. I've had a love/hate relationship with this band almost my entire life. I even have sentimental attachments to the albums I don't particularly listen to very much (Animalize being the main one), and might be the only person on the planet who forgave them for making a grunge album in a moment of weakness (Carnival of Souls). Heck, I like that one better than anything after Dynasty. But most people who fell in love with the band did so because of the heavier stuff, not the Bon Jovi retreads...

The new CD might be crap, especially since Gene is running out of cliches and Paul is not the greatest producer, but I'll still buy it before I hear it, because they're still "my band" and...HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL! (Now THERE'S a cliche for you Gene!) :kiss:

Jimbo... all I gotta say to this is :guitbannana::woot: You're a man after my own heart.

I've stated that when I heard the original band was getting back together It was a huge mistake. some people I know thought I was crazy but I think I was right. It has been all downhill since the "reunion tour" and the next and so on and so on.

The Reunion Tour was not a mistake. The mistake was that they tried to do another album with the original lineup afterwards, and it sucked. If they'd just done the reunion tour, made their pile of $$ and called it a day, everybody would've been a lot happier. IMO of course.

Meh. I wish they would stop trying to perpetually recapture their '70s sound, all the while disavowing everything they released in the '80s. Maybe it's just me, but the early stuff just gets tired.

My favorite KISS material is the stuff that always gets glossed over and ignored: Lick It Up, Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights, Hot in the Shade.

Half the time I think KISS pretends those albums were never released.

*bleagh*

-Dan

Agreed one billion %

80's Kiss> all other Kiss era's.

Detroit Rock City

Do You Love Me

Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love

Love Gun

Firehouse

Strutter

Watchin' You

100.000 Years

Shock Me

I Stole Your Love

and the list goes on...

I would hardly classify most of those songs as "hard rock". Just sayin'...

Imo Carnival was more dark & heavy than all the others.

But it was pure shit, a sell-out album and not a "real" KISS disc, imo... so I didn't count that. ;)

Detroit Rock City

Do You Love Me

Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love

Love Gun

Firehouse

Strutter

Watchin' You

100.000 Years

Shock Me

I Stole Your Love

and the list goes on...

Dude, this is a friendly but serious question:

Keeping in mind we're talking about 1973 to 1979, what exactly would you call hard rock from that era if not Love Gun and Detroit Rock City? :popcorn:

Yeah, it's pretty heavy, but...God Gave Rock 'n' Roll To You II? Every Time I Look at You?!? I'll take Ace Frehley's solo disc over Revenge any day. :headbanger:

I love REVENGE except for the two tracks you mentioned. But then that's why CD players have "skip" buttons :lol:

80's Kiss> all other Kiss era's.

Crack is wack, kids.

But it was pure shit, a sell-out album and not a "real" KISS disc, imo... so I didn't count that. ;)

If that's not a "real" Kiss disc then 'Crazy Nights', 'Asylum' and 'Hot in the Shade' aren't "real" Kiss discs either.

'Crazy Nights', 'Asylum' and 'Hot in the Shade' aren't "real" Kiss discs.

I don't mind ASYLUM but I pretty much hate those other two so those albums don't exist in my little world :whistle:

Let's be honest: if you asked 1000 people the first thing that came to mind when they heard the name KISS, 999 would tell you that they think of the guys in the scary makeup, spitting blood and blowin' shit up. They don't think of Paul Stanley in a cut off sweatshirt and high-tops crooning "Reason To Live" :lol:

Depends on your tastes and views. I really liked the album because it was different, dark & heavy.

Detroit Rock City

Do You Love Me

Shout It Out Loud

Calling Dr. Love

Love Gun

Firehouse

Strutter

Watchin' You

100.000 Years

Shock Me

I Stole Your Love

and the list goes on...

Dude, this is a friendly but serious question:

Keeping in mind we're talking about 1973 to 1979, what exactly would you call hard rock from that era if not Love Gun and Detroit Rock City? :popcorn:

Actually, I was comparing their 70's songs to their 80's songs, not other songs from the same era...

Depends on your tastes and views. I really liked the album because it was different, dark & heavy.

Backed Carnival Is one of their Better later years releases

If that's not a "real" Kiss disc then 'Crazy Nights', 'Asylum' and 'Hot in the Shade' aren't "real" Kiss discs either.

I was just talking purely from a musical standpoint. Whether you like any other era of their music or not, it's all "fun" commercial rock n'roll. This peice of shit was a completely different style and vibe to anything KISS had ever done. Not concerned about personnel at all. :)

I was just talking purely from a musical standpoint. Whether you like any other era of their music or not, it's all "fun" commercial rock n'roll. This peice of shit was a completely different style and vibe to anything KISS had ever done. Not concerned about personnel at all. :)

I love both the 70's and 80's/90's Kiss but I prefer the early days when the band was young and hungry.

I also love the Lick it Up and Creatures of the Night era when they had some balls to their music after the light weight Dynasty and Unmasked. But then when Crazy Nights came out it was just to commercial and poppy IMHO. At least on Carnival of Souls they were heavy again. You have to understand that Kiss is my first love when it comes to rock music and there's certain albums and songs that I love but there's others that I don't. But from the beginning it was the original lineup that got me into the band, even though the later lineups were better technical musicians, for me the original lineup had an unreplaceable chemistry.

• 4 months later...
'Crazy Nights', 'Asylum' and 'Hot in the Shade' aren't "real" Kiss discs.

I don't mind ASYLUM but I pretty much hate those other two so those albums don't exist in my little world :whistle:

Let's be honest: if you asked 1000 people the first thing that came to mind when they heard the name KISS, 999 would tell you that they think of the guys in the scary makeup, spitting blood and blowin' shit up. They don't think of Paul Stanley in a cut off sweatshirt and high-tops crooning "Reason To Live" :lol:

Actually, if you did that here, most people would say "Oh yeah, they are the guys who did God gave rock n roll to you and Crazy nights!"