Silly Fools (band from Thailand)

Geoff

I remember after my honeymoon there were a few queries about if there were any bands from Thailand and I think it was pretty slim pickings. I just stumbled across these guys on Myspace and they seriously sould pretty cool. The ballads sound beautiful, but if you check out 'Unhappy Ending' and the awesome 'Moving on' these guys actually have a bit of balls too. Almost like a heavier 7th Heaven vibe. I've only heard these myspace songs but I'm going to follow it up.

http://www.myspace.com/sillyfoolsmusic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the CD spinning now. These guys sound f*cking magnificent! Tight as hell, heavy in the uptempo numbers, sentimental in the ballads, excellent emphasis on choruses. Could be a real gem here.

nice band, but not enough rock in it. Dont hear the 7th Heaven.

7th Heaven may have been a premature call when, like you, I heard the myspace songs and thought, man these guys are soft.

But the full CD needs to be heard because they are anything but. This is good, heavy ballsy very melodic modern hard rock. Step back, because here it comes...

After a couple of spins I am officially naming this the 2nd best CD of 2009 so far (after Place Vendome). There is not even a trace of a filler, the guitarist is amazing (easily on par with most 80's guitarists and better than ANY modern rock guitarist), vocals are great, hooks are stunning and overall these guys are just sensational song writers. As I said, nothing even sounds remotely like a filler. The way these guys write choruses makes it impossible for a filler to creep in.

Glen and Justiin at the very least, you must get yourselves all over this. Might even appeal to Jim and Tim too. Either way, check these guys out for the love of jeebers!

Okay guys, just fyi if anyone wants to be reckless and silly. I just ordered this CD (I HOPE!) for us$8.50 (free worldwide shipping included in the price). My advice would be to wait to see what I get before taking the plunge, but if anyone wants to be reckless here is the link:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=37980

Site looks normal, legit, proper etc. and I'm honestly not worried about getting the CD. The only thing I'm nervous about is if you look at the track list you'll notice it's all in Thai. The album I heard is obviously all 100% in English and as far as I can tell it's the only version of 'The One' released. Was there an alternate version with Thai lyrics released? Well, I'll let you know when I get it. :lol: For $8.50, from my paypal balance, I am willing to take the risk based how excellent this disc is.

Here are the real song names:

1 Moving On

2 No Regrets

3 Enough

4 The Long Road

5 The Daily Grind

6 Nevermind

7 Extra Extra

8 Unhappy Ending

9 Long Distance

10 Take Me Home

At the site where I obtained a digital copy of this from it gets 5/5 out of 16 user ratings. Pretty impressive, imo.

Okay guys, just fyi if anyone wants to be reckless and silly. I just ordered this CD (I HOPE!) for us$8.50 (free worldwide shipping included in the price). My advice would be to wait to see what I get before taking the plunge, but if anyone wants to be reckless here is the link:

Site looks normal, legit, proper etc. and I'm honestly not worried about getting the CD. The only thing I'm nervous about is if you look at the track list you'll notice it's all in Thai. The album I heard is obviously all 100% in English and as far as I can tell it's the only version of 'The One' released. Was there an alternate version with Thai lyrics released? Well, I'll let you know when I get it. :lol: For $8.50, from my paypal balance, I am willing to take the risk based how excellent this disc is.

1 Moving On

2 No Regrets

3 Enough

4 The Long Road

5 The Daily Grind

6 Nevermind

7 Extra Extra

8 Unhappy Ending

9 Long Distance

10 Take Me Home

At the site where I obtained a digital copy of this from it gets 5/5 out of 16 user ratings. Pretty impressive, imo.

so are the album tracks different to myspace?

'21 days' and 'Stay away' are (sadly) not on the album, but the first 4 are. You ask because they don't sound very ballsy? If that's the case I'm assuming they're some of the lighter tracks on the album. These guys aren't metal, but they're sure as hell as 'heavy' as any of their peers... plus the guitar work is delicious.

When I put them on the stereo my immediate first thought was, wow, these guys are heaps heavier than what I assumed from myspace. I actually edited that entire first post in this thread because I'd called them real lightweights, but after hearing the CD I thought very differently.

1 Moving On

2 No Regrets

3 Enough

4 The Long Road

5 The Daily Grind

6 Nevermind

7 Extra Extra

8 Unhappy Ending

9 Long Distance

10 Take Me Home

Awesome band!!! So far I've only heard samples on MySpace and CD Baby but I'm loving it. As you say, really melodic stuff, huge choruses and well written songs. I'll be tracking down this CD for sure. Great find Geoff. :tumbsup:

Though I do really hate to bring the bad news but the 'The One' album was released as both an English and Thai version :(

You definately wouldn't usually associate Thailand with this sort of music but believe it - as Geoff suggested, this band is good enough to sit alongside any other modern melodic hard rock band.

Thai Album Tracklist:

1. Satree mai lhek 1 : สตรีหมายเลข 1

2. Rao pen khon luek eng : เราเป็นคนเลือà¸à¹€à¸­à¸‡

3. Ngo : โง่

4. Puk : พัà¸

5. Mai por pieng : ไม่พอเพียง

6. Rung ror : รั้งรอ

7. Khun krang : คุà¸â€œà¸à¸£à¹ˆà¸²à¸‡

8. Nuey leaw... : เหนื่อยà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§...

9. Eak krung : อีà¸à¸„รั้ง

10. Klai : ไà¸à¸¥

English Album Tracklist:

1. Moving On

2. No Regrets

3. Enough

4. The Long Road

5. The Daily Grind

6. Nevermind

7. Extra Extra

8. Unhappy Ending

9. Long Distance

10. Take Me Home

1 Moving On

2 No Regrets

3 Enough

4 The Long Road

5 The Daily Grind

6 Nevermind

7 Extra Extra

8 Unhappy Ending

9 Long Distance

10 Take Me Home

Awesome band!!! So far I've only heard samples on MySpace and CD Baby but I'm loving it. As you say, really melodic stuff, huge choruses and well written songs. I'll be tracking down this CD for sure. Great find Geoff. :tumbsup:

Though I do really hate to bring the bad news but the 'The One' album was released as both an English and Thai version :(

You definately wouldn't usually associate Thailand with this sort of music but believe it - as Geoff suggested, this band is good enough to sit alongside any other modern melodic hard rock band.

Thai Album Tracklist:

1. Satree mai lhek 1 : สตรีหมายเลข 1

2. Rao pen khon luek eng : เราเป็นคนเลือà¸à¹€à¸­à¸‡

3. Ngo : โง่

4. Puk : พัà¸

5. Mai por pieng : ไม่พอเพียง

6. Rung ror : รั้งรอ

7. Khun krang : คุà¸â€œà¸à¸£à¹ˆà¸²à¸‡

8. Nuey leaw... : เหนื่อยà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§...

9. Eak krung : อีà¸à¸„รั้ง

10. Klai : ไà¸à¸¥

English Album Tracklist:

1. Moving On

2. No Regrets

3. Enough

4. The Long Road

5. The Daily Grind

6. Nevermind

7. Extra Extra

8. Unhappy Ending

9. Long Distance

10. Take Me Home

HAHAHAHHAHAHA @ Jeff

HAHA! I love losing money! Oh well, as I said, $8.50 is not too bad. Better luck next time. Justin you say this is available at CD Baby? I will have to check it out... (*F*CK!!!)

EDIT: Damn, only MP3's at CD Baby. I wonder where one finds this CD...

Just a bit more on these guys. I just read that the s/t 5 track EP which is also in English in 2007, with the following tracks:

1 Stay Away

2 21 Days

3 I've Gone Blind

4 This Road is Mine

5 One Generation

... I am lead to believe that they recorded this with their old singer (?) in Thai and then hired a Korean singer for the English version. :lol: But as far as I know the guy on the new CD is the singer for the English version too, but what do I know? :lol:

HAHA! I love losing money! Oh well, as I said, $8.50 is not too bad. Better luck next time. Justin you say this is available at CD Baby? I will have to check it out... (*F*CK!!!)

You could try here for $9.97, but again you couldn't be sure what version it is poprockasia

Did you only very recently order the CD? Maybe you could contact them and ask if they have an English version to send? You probably won't get a reply but might be worth a shot...

You could try here for $9.97, but again you couldn't be sure what version it is poprockasia

Did you only very recently order the CD? Maybe you could contact them and ask if they have an English version to send? You probably won't get a reply but might be worth a shot...

Haha... yeah, geniuses think alike. ;) As soon as I saw your post I emailed them with all my references asking about the English version. As you say, probably 99% sure they won't answer but it's worth a try. :)

As for your other link, yeah, looks like the same one I ordered. I don't know if I got this right, but I kind of get the impression (from CD Baby) that the Thai version is called 'The One' and the English version is just called 'One'. Not sure if I'm reading that right, though.

Hey Justin, just to let you know, the site did get back to me, but doesn't look like I'm in any luck. The English version has been sold out for a year now (lol) and check out the price it was going for anyway:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=38234

I've asked for a refund, but it's not really their problem, so if I get it awesome. If I don't (which I don't think I will) then I'll just put my CDR in the case with the Thai writing everywhere and sob everytime I look at it.

Hey Justin, just to let you know, the site did get back to me, but doesn't look like I'm in any luck. The English version has been sold out for a year now (lol) and check out the price it was going for anyway:

I've asked for a refund, but it's not really their problem, so if I get it awesome. If I don't (which I don't think I will) then I'll just put my CDR in the case with the Thai writing everywhere and sob everytime I look at it.

Wow! that's geting close to $60AUD for the English version. Oh well, you only paid $8.50, could've been much worse.

Wow! that's geting close to $60AUD for the English version. Oh well, you only paid $8.50, could've been much worse.

:lol: Indeed it could have. That's a real shame if that's the kind of price you're looking at to buy this thing, because then it's likely I'll never own it. But trying to find a English version seems near impossible anyway. :(

Okay, here is for $15.99:

http://www.thaimegamart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

Haven't checked postage yet as you have to sign up to the site. It's already a bi tout of my price range though. Their other CDs (in Thai) are dirt cheap.

HAHA! $21.95 shipping!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome... a midget Thai man is bringing it himself..

The funny this is, that's without a case too. :lol: What the f*ck are they thinking?

HAHA! $21.95 shipping!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And here I was thinking, "here we go, I bet postage will be $12-14 os something ridiculous like that"

And here I was thinking, "here we go, I bet postage will be $12-14 os something ridiculous like that"

When it said $21.95 I thought that was the total price - $15.99 CD plus $5.96 for postage. Then the total page came up and yep, sure as f*ck - $37.94!!! HAHA.

Ok listening to this now...

And yes Geoff this is very nice indeed. Maybe not quite as nice as what you make out, but very nice.

The solos are fantastic and are totally Pete Lesperance! I can now see why you said it has that 7th heaven vibe to some tracks. One of my problems is i wish the choruses were bigger.. cos they just seem to be the singer singing with a bit more grunt... need a few more hooks and backing vocals.

Another thing... the music itself has a really strong modern CCM vibe to it. theres just something about it.

Ok listening to this now...

And yes Geoff this is very nice indeed. Maybe not quite as nice as what you make out, but very nice.

The solos are fantastic and are totally Pete Lesperance! I can now see why you said it has that 7th heaven vibe to some tracks. One of my problems is i wish the choruses were bigger.. cos they just seem to be the singer singing with a bit more grunt... need a few more hooks and backing vocals.

Another thing... the music itself has a really strong modern CCM vibe to it. theres just something about it.

Yeah, I do agree with you about the backing vocals for sure. I am impressed that to me it still sounds excellent with just the one dude, but yeah, with a full banquet of backing vocals it would be better. I can fogive this, though, as I have a feeling this album was played by a full non-English speaking band and that the singer is actually a hired Korean guy, like on the EP. So they may not have the facilities to have a full English backing vocal arrangement. Just loving these songs though...