Garrison - 'Hold Back the Night'

Geoff

I'm getting impatient too...I want Garrison on CD!

I think we all do... how much would it cost for us to just do this ourselves? Anyone? :o

It was sold on ebay a few weeks back from the 2007 timewarp records release...

It was more about a re-release, although not a serious proposition.

How much would it cost for a label to get the rights to this, remaster it, etc and release? Presumably the costs are prohibitively high...

No idea at all, mate. Crazy to think that there is what many would consider a "classic" CD right here waiting to be polished and released by someone. I have pretty much given up ever buying a CD again in my life, but I'd lay down the coin for a good version of these songs in a heartbeat.

Criminal that it's still unreleased... :(

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy to think that there is what many would consider a "classic" CD right here waiting to be polished and released by someone. I have pretty much given up ever buying a CD again in my life, but I'd lay down the coin for a good version of these songs in a heartbeat.

Criminal that it's still unreleased... :(

Spot on.

So who do we lobby?

;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd release GARRISON's material in a heartbeat but have no contact info for the band. KILLER AOR. I heard Kev Hellraiser's new label was going to release it but that was like a year ago and no word has been heard from since. WTF?? Give ME this shit!! LOL

Hear, hear! Give it to RR - that way we know it would be released. Just need to contact the Garrison chaps somehow...

Could start here?

https://www.facebook.com/garrisonfife

• 3 months later...

Available from AOR Heaven next week.

Garrison%20cover.jpg

From AOR Heaven's newsletter:

Based in West Fife and started in the early 80's Garrison went on to be one of the best rock bands to come out of Scotland and toured extensively with the likes of Dare, Thunder, and Ian Gillan. Between 1988 and 1991 the band recorded a bunch of great demos which attracted Atlantic Records to offer them a deal. The band started recording their debut in 1990, but the upcoming Grunge wave put everything to rest. What a pity, cause we’re talking about fantastic British AOR stuff next to TOBRUK, FM, SHY or HEAVY PETTIN. Limited edition of 500 copies – don’t miss it!

Garrison%20cover.jpg

Based in West Fife and started in the early 80's Garrison went on to be one of the best rock bands to come out of Scotland and toured extensively with the likes of Dare, Thunder, and Ian Gillan. Between 1988 and 1991 the band recorded a bunch of great demos which attracted Atlantic Records to offer them a deal. The band started recording their debut in 1990, but the upcoming Grunge wave put everything to rest. What a pity, cause we’re talking about fantastic British AOR stuff next to TOBRUK, FM, SHY or HEAVY PETTIN. Limited edition of 500 copies – don’t miss it!

ZOMFG WTF!!! ZOMFG!!!

Any word on the track list and most importantly, the sound quality? If the sound quality is good, and the songs are the earlier best ones, I will lose juice over this. And by juice I mean semen. It'll spurt.

Garrison%20cover.jpg

ZOMFG WTF!!! ZOMFG!!!

Any word on the track list and most importantly, the sound quality? If the sound quality is good, and the songs are the earlier best ones, I will lose juice over this. And by juice I mean semen. It'll spurt.

Doh! Meant to post about this last week, as I saw mention of a CD on the band's Facebook page. Need to get this one, but 500 copies? Really? Shit, need to get in there quick. Can't see a mention of it on the AOR Heaven site...

Garrison%20cover.jpg

ZOMFG WTF!!! ZOMFG!!!

Doh! Meant to post about this last week, as I saw mention of a CD on the band's Facebook page. Need to get this one, but 500 copies? Really? Shit, need to get in there quick. Can't see a mention of it on the AOR Heaven site...

Take a look at the newsletter on AOR Heaven, the disc will be available next week.

From the newsletter:

"Just a handful of new releases set for next week, but real quality stuff. The Dave Evans – Nitzinger CD “Revenge” is highly recommended for classic hard rock- and AC/DC fans and the same goes for the re-issue of CHEETAH (first time ever on CD).

Last but not least classic 80s AOR fans should grab a copy of the long lost Scottish AOR outfit GARRISON, which finally get releases on CD (as a limited edition of 500 copies only)."

Garrison%20cover.jpg

ZOMFG WTF!!! ZOMFG!!!

Take a look at the newsletter on AOR Heaven, the disc will be available next week.

From the newsletter:

"Just a handful of new releases set for next week, but real quality stuff. The Dave Evans – Nitzinger CD “Revenge” is highly recommended for classic hard rock- and AC/DC fans and the same goes for the re-issue of CHEETAH (first time ever on CD).

Last but not least classic 80s AOR fans should grab a copy of the long lost Scottish AOR outfit GARRISON, which finally get releases on CD (as a limited edition of 500 copies only)."

Yeah, I just thought we might be able to pre-order...

I'm away with work for a couple of days next week; hope I don't miss out. :unsure:

Garrison%20cover.jpg

ZOMFG WTF!!! ZOMFG!!!

From the newsletter:

Gaaaahhh!! Clicked 'Quote' instead of 'Edit'! :doh:

• 1 year later...
Guest mb910799

Hi Guys.......just found this on the web and want to clarify a few things. We.....Garrison are back together and playing again. The demos we released were on Steel Legacy Records and them only. All the others are not authorised by the band so will be interesting to see how many people actually have a copy on a different label. Here is our Facebook page if anyone wants to get in touch with offers of a cd release or gig offers, or who just want to know about the band.

https://www.facebook.com/garrisonfife

Hey guys, good to hear you're back together. In recent years there have been several bands from "your era" that have reformed to re-record their older material, with a nice new shiny production job. Just wondering if this is something Garrison would ever consider?

As cool as the collection of demos is, it's still a collection of demos and demos only have a limited replay value. And also, a lot of your earlier songs - the real pure melodic rock / AOR tunes - were excluded from the official release in place of some of the stuff recorded a little later, which was different in style and personally, for me, not as brilliant as the earlier stuff.

I know there'd be a lot of fans out there who would love to see you re-record those old gems in your archives. Is there any remote chance it may ever happen?

Guest mb910799

Hi Geoff,

Yes this is something we are looking to do either self financed or with the help of a suitable company. We have already dug up stuff from the past and started to give it a shiny new coat so hopefully we can get some of this recorded and available to everyone. The YouTube video that I made and shared is now sitting at over 112,000 views which is what spurred us on to reform. The music was getting popular again and we felt it was too good to not play.

Hey guys, good to hear you're back together. In recent years there have been several bands from "your era" that have reformed to re-record their older material, with a nice new shiny production job. Just wondering if this is something Garrison would ever consider?

As cool as the collection of demos is, it's still a collection of demos and demos only have a limited replay value. And also, a lot of your earlier songs - the real pure melodic rock / AOR tunes - were excluded from the official release in place of some of the stuff recorded a little later, which was different in style and personally, for me, not as brilliant as the earlier stuff.

I know there'd be a lot of fans out there who would love to see you re-record those old gems in your archives. Is there any remote chance it may ever happen?

I couldn't agree more. Those early Garrison songs are some of the best songs I have ever had the pleasure of hearing and are certainly IMO the best songs in existence that are in need of re recording and/or remastering. As Geoff noted the recent Garrison CD left off a whole bunch of their best songs. With a bit of polish and a better track selection, Garrison could release one of the best AOR / melodic hard rock CDs ever! Incredible songs guys!!!! There is definitely a LOT of interest in AOR & melodic rock circles surrounding Garrison so hopefully high quality recordings of all the tracks do surface some day. It would be criminal not to do these songs justice. And on a side note are their any more songs / demos out there that haven't been mentioned early in this thread? Oh and is there any old band pics or pics of the original demo cassettes to look at?

Great work Garrison and it's really cool to hear your back playing. Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I read in a Facebook post from 2023 that they're re-recording some of their songs. I hope they release it soon, I look forward to listening to it! 😁

Edited by GarrisonDreams