Bon Jovi v. Def Leppard

Bon Jovi v. Def Leppard  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best one being Runaway. Also, they had the better guitarist - Aldo Nova on Runaway. But DL had the better album with Pyromania. I feel every song on that album is good.

I thought Tim Pierce played guitar on 'Runaway' (with the rest of the All Star Review Band - Roy Bittan (Springsteen) on Keys, Huey McDonald on Bass and Frankie La Rocka on Drums) and Aldo Nova did the keys on 'Breakout' amongst other things? That's what I have been led to believe for the last 25+ years and is also stated on the Album sleeve.

I consider myself a much bigger fan of Leppard than I do Jovi but here's how I voted:

On Throught the Night over Bon Jovi - The BJ debt has great tunes but I like the NWOBHM sound on the Leps debut more

High N Dry over 7800 Farenheit - I really like 7800 a lot but High N Dry is one of the best Hard Rock albums ever IMO.

Pyromania over Slippery When Wet - Slippery is a great hard rock album but Pyromania is better IMO, but both bring back many memories.

Hysteria over New Jersey - New Jersey is again very good but Hysteria is just better.

Keep the Faith over Adrenalize - Keep the Faith has always been one of my fav Jovi cds so it gets the nod here but there are some quality tunes on Adrenalize too.

These Days over Slang - While Slang is better than it's record sales would show, These Days was the last great Bon Jovi album so it gets the nod in this matchup.

I still feel the same way.

The best one being Runaway. Also, they had the better guitarist - Aldo Nova on Runaway. But DL had the better album with Pyromania. I feel every song on that album is good.

I thought Tim Pierce played guitar on 'Runaway' (with the rest of the All Star Review Band - Roy Bittan (Springsteen) on Keys, Huey McDonald on Bass and Frankie La Rocka on Drums) and Aldo Nova did the keys on 'Breakout' amongst other things? That's what I have been led to believe for the last 25+ years and is also stated on the Album sleeve.

If it is I apologize. But I was led to believe the same thing for 25 years as well. Runaway is the only "album" I have of Bon Jovi. I looked and saw the "All Star" list as well, I've noticed that before. I've heard Aldo was the guitar player, I can't believe Tim Pierce could play like that, it sounds like Aldo as well.

Here's what I found on the internet (but, as usual, you can't believe everything you read there):

"Nova was signed to Portrait Records in 1981 and promptly released his self-produced debut. His acclaimed production, songwriting and guitar work garnered numerous job offers to write and produce for other artists. Among his earliest collaborations was session work for Bon Jovi. It was Nova, not Richie Sambora, who played the familiar guitar riff heard on that band's mega-hit, "Runaway."

If it is I apologize. But I was led to believe the same thing for 25 years as well. Runaway is the only "album" I have of Bon Jovi. I looked and saw the "All Star" list as well, I've noticed that before. I've heard Aldo was the guitar player, I can't believe Tim Pierce could play like that, it sounds like Aldo as well.

Here's what I found on the internet (but, as usual, you can't believe everything you read there):

"Nova was signed to Portrait Records in 1981 and promptly released his self-produced debut. His acclaimed production, songwriting and guitar work garnered numerous job offers to write and produce for other artists. Among his earliest collaborations was session work for Bon Jovi. It was Nova, not Richie Sambora, who played the familiar guitar riff heard on that band's mega-hit, "Runaway."

Interesting John, thanx for that. There is also a story that Dave Sabo played on 'Runaway' as well from somewhere, so maybe one day the true story will reveal itself. :tumbsup:

Interesting John, thanx for that. There is also a story that Dave Sabo played on 'Runaway' as well from somewhere, so maybe one day the true story will reveal itself. :tumbsup:

Dave Sabo? Really? As in the dude from Skid Row? Wouldn't he have been about 12 in 1984? I could be wrong though...

Dave Sabo? Really? As in the dude from Skid Row? Wouldn't he have been about 12 in 1984? I could be wrong though...

The very same, born in 1964. Evidentally he recorded the original version in 1981 when it was Jon Bongiovi & The Rest. Then the 'The All Star Review' version with Pierce, Bittan, McDonald and La Rocka was recorded in 1982 and that is the one that ended up on the debut album.

The very same, born in 1964. Evidentally he recorded the original version in 1981 when it was Jon Bongiovi & The Rest. Then the 'The All Star Review' version with Pierce, Bittan, McDonald and La Rocka was recorded in 1982 and that is the one that ended up on the debut album.

Nice. I didn't realise he was of that vintage, but seeing him these days it's no surprise.

Nice. I didn't realise he was of that vintage, but seeing him these days it's no surprise.

Dave and John went to school together and that is how Skid Row got their break.

Who knows if they would of hit it big if Dave wouldn't of grown up with JBJ.

• 6 months later...
Guest BadAssMetalMaiden

Hi People .. well this was pretty easy for me personally and once people get to know me you would know how I would answer this but for me its a Jovi clean sweep :)

Holy shit... just surprised the hell out of myself. I gave Bon Jovi the clean sweep. The first two are obvious, and although I think 'Pyromania' is a better album than 'Slippery...' the highlights of those discs... for me, the best BJ songs off 'Slippery...' are better than the best off 'Pyromania'. And same with 'Hysteria' vs. 'New Jersey'. Both classics, but 'New Jersey' definitely has the best songs, imo. And the last two are obvious too... but zomfg, did not expect a clean sweep.

Why are you so surprised?? Its an absolute no brainer for me. Bon Jovi have been and always will be about 100 light years ahead of Def Leppard........I doubt a single DL song would make my BJ top 10 or even 15!

Albums like s/t, New Jersey, Keep The Faith, Slippery are some of THE best rock albums ever recorded. They have had a few wobbles along the way, but those 4 are right up there.

:drink:

Man I always write the truth.

Holy shit... just surprised the hell out of myself. I gave Bon Jovi the clean sweep. The first two are obvious, and although I think 'Pyromania' is a better album than 'Slippery...' the highlights of those discs... for me, the best BJ songs off 'Slippery...' are better than the best off 'Pyromania'. And same with 'Hysteria' vs. 'New Jersey'. Both classics, but 'New Jersey' definitely has the best songs, imo. And the last two are obvious too... but zomfg, did not expect a clean sweep.

Why are you so surprised?? Its an absolute no brainer for me. Bon Jovi have been and always will be about 100 light years ahead of Def Leppard........I doubt a single DL song would make my BJ top 10 or even 15!

Albums like s/t, New Jersey, Keep The Faith, Slippery are some of THE best rock albums ever recorded. They have had a few wobbles along the way, but those 4 are right up there.

Especially when you're agreeing with me. :)

Especially when you're agreeing with me. :)

Ha to a certain degree...although I wouldnt agree that Pyromania is better than Slippery.....not in this lifetime or the next brother.

Mainly a BJ clean-sweep for me too, but the only Leppard album that won my vote was "Hysteria" (against "New Jersey") which was a really tough call as both are genuinely awesome... And even then it was more for sentimental reasons than anything else...

Went for Leppard as I've never liked Jovi. 'Pyromania' is an absolute monster, such a great album, 'Slippery When Wet' is nowhere near it imo.

Went for Leppard as I've never liked Jovi. 'Pyromania' is an absolute monster, such a great album, 'Slippery When Wet' is nowhere near it imo.

Mmm, id say Slippery is better. Everyones heard the songs a million times which kind of makes you hate some of them, but the album is still a classic.

Songs like 'I'd Die For You' are just awesome IMO.

Mmm, id say Slippery is better. Everyones heard the songs a million times which kind of makes you hate some of them, but the album is still a classic.

Songs like 'I'd Die For You' are just awesome IMO.

The songs on Pyromania have been played a million times as well but I like both albums as their what's great about the genre. I personally prefer Pyromania a little more but that might be because I like the Harder Rock more.

I consider myself a much bigger fan of Leppard than I do Jovi but here's how I voted:

On Throught the Night over Bon Jovi - The BJ debt has great tunes but I like the NWOBHM sound on the Leps debut more

High N Dry over 7800 Farenheit - I really like 7800 a lot but High N Dry is one of the best Hard Rock albums ever IMO.

Pyromania over Slippery When Wet - Slippery is a great hard rock album but Pyromania is better IMO, but both bring back many memories.

Hysteria over New Jersey - New Jersey is again very good but Hysteria is just better.

Keep the Faith over Adrenalize - Keep the Faith has always been one of my fav Jovi cds so it gets the nod here but there are some quality tunes on Adrenalize too.

These Days over Slang - While Slang is better than it's record sales would show, These Days was the last great Bon Jovi album so it gets the nod in this matchup.

I still feel the same way.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...