Bon Jovi v. Def Leppard

Bon Jovi v. Def Leppard  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bon Jovi - not much of a contest on their first releases for me. LOVE Roulette!

Bon jovi - This one surprised me! I almost clicked High N' Dry without giving it much thought, but when I began to analyze the songs from each, i realized I liked more stuff off of 7800 F

Def Leppard - Pyromania v. Slippery is a dead heat as far as I'm concerned; I might say Slippery next week :P

Def Leppard - Hysteria thrashed New Jersey when I looked at 'em head to head. Is it just me, or are there some TERRIBLE fillers on NJ? (Homebound Train, Ride Cowboy Ride, Love for Sale)... yikes!

Def Leppard - Never really got into Keep The Faith

Bon Jovi - I actually like some stuff from Slang quite a bit, but I enjoy These Days quite a bit more

:bananamac:

I consider myself a much bigger fan of Leppard than I do Jovi but here's how I voted:

On Throught the Night over Bon Jovi - The BJ debt has great tunes but I like the NWOBHM sound on the Leps debut more

High N Dry over 7800 Farenheit - I really like 7800 a lot but High N Dry is one of the best Hard Rock albums ever IMO.

Pyromania over Slippery When Wet - Slippery is a great hard rock album but Pyromania is better IMO, but both bring back many memories.

Hysteria over New Jersey - New Jersey is again very good but Hysteria is just better.

Keep the Faith over Adrenalize - Keep the Faith has always been one of my fav Jovi cds so it gets the nod here but there are some quality tunes on Adrenalize too.

These Days over Slang - While Slang is better than it's record sales would show, These Days was the last great Bon Jovi album so it gets the nod in this matchup.

Holy shit... just surprised the hell out of myself. I gave Bon Jovi the clean sweep. The first two are obvious, and although I think 'Pyromania' is a better album than 'Slippery...' the highlights of those discs... for me, the best BJ songs off 'Slippery...' are better than the best off 'Pyromania'. And same with 'Hysteria' vs. 'New Jersey'. Both classics, but 'New Jersey' definitely has the best songs, imo. And the last two are obvious too... but zomfg, did not expect a clean sweep.

Why are you so surprised??

Yeah, not sure mate. I just kind of expected at least one to go to Def Leppard, as I am a huge fan. But it just didn't happen. :lol:

And you're right about the 15 song thing. I'd probably pluck a few tracks off 'Retroactive' to throw amidst it, but it'd be 95% Bon Jovi if I picked the top 20-30 songs from both bands.

Bon jovi - This one surprised me! I almost clicked High N' Dry without giving it much thought, but when I began to analyze the songs from each, i realized I liked more stuff off of 7800 F

Haha, I did the same. I don't even rate 'High N' Dry' that much but I thought it was the better disc. Then I thought about it for a second and in the end '7800' crucifies it in every single way imaginable. :)

Def Leppard - Hysteria thrashed New Jersey when I looked at 'em head to head. Is it just me, or are there some TERRIBLE fillers on NJ? (Homebound Train, Ride Cowboy Ride, Love for Sale)... yikes!

Yeah, I admit there are fillers - track for track what you say there - but for me, the rest of the album is pretty much entirely better than the excellent 'Hysteria', and that's what gets 'New Jersey' over the line for me. :)

Holy shit... just surprised the hell out of myself. I gave Bon Jovi the clean sweep. The first two are obvious, and although I think 'Pyromania' is a better album than 'Slippery...' the highlights of those discs... for me, the best BJ songs off 'Slippery...' are better than the best off 'Pyromania'. And same with 'Hysteria' vs. 'New Jersey'. Both classics, but 'New Jersey' definitely has the best songs, imo. And the last two are obvious too... but zomfg, did not expect a clean sweep.

Why are you so surprised??

Yeah, not sure mate. I just kind of expected at least one to go to Def Leppard, as I am a huge fan. But it just didn't happen. :lol:

And you're right about the 15 song thing. I'd probably pluck a few tracks off 'Retroactive' to throw amidst it, but it'd be 95% Bon Jovi if I picked the top 20-30 songs from both bands.

Haha, I did the same. I don't even rate 'High N' Dry' that much but I thought it was the better disc. Then I thought about it for a second and in the end '7800' crucifies it in every single way imaginable. :)

Yeah, I admit there are fillers - track for track what you say there - but for me, the rest of the album is pretty much entirely better than the excellent 'Hysteria', and that's what gets 'New Jersey' over the line for me. :)

backed, backed & backed (for a change :tumbsup: )

Damn, I can't vote since I haven't heard 'Keep the Faith' 'These Days' or 'Slang'.......and the odds of me picking any of them up aren't good..... :lol:

These are all good but Keep the Faith may just be my fave BJ album. Essential...

Bon Jovi - not much of a contest on their first releases for me. LOVE Roulette!

Definitely agree...never really got into the first Lep myself

We differ here. High N Dry is my fave DL cd & this is the only cd from BJ that I don't care for. It's too puffy & keyboard-y & ehh...minus a couple songs anyway.

Def Leppard - Pyromania v. Slippery is a dead heat as far as I'm concerned; I might say Slippery next week :P

Yeah, take your pick. Both bands hit it out of the park here...

To me this is very close. Love for Sale is terrible but the other two you mentioned I like quite a bit. No one mentioned that there is filler on Hysteria, even though it's not much.

Def Leppard - Never really got into Keep The Faith

Really? Please revisit...unbelieveable album & kills the paper thin Adremalize.

Bon Jovi - I actually like some stuff from Slang quite a bit, but I enjoy These Days quite a bit more

Same here...I like Slang quite a bit but These Days is an awesome album.

:bananamac:

tough call for me, but heres what i went with:

Bon Jovi - S/T

BJ - 7800 Degrees (this is actually my second favi Jovi next to S/T)

BJ - Slippery

DL - Hysteria

DL - Adrenalize (this was the closest call)

BJ - These Days

Here are my votes;

- Bon Jovi s/t

- Def Leppard - "High N' Dry"

- Bon Jovi - "Slippery When Wet"

- Bon Jovi - "New Jersey"

- Def Leppard - "Adrenalize"

- Bon Jovi - "These Days"

Damn, I can't vote since I haven't heard 'Keep the Faith' 'These Days' or 'Slang'.......and the odds of me picking any of them up aren't good..... :lol:

These are all good but Keep the Faith may just be my fave BJ album. Essential...

Yeah, for once I have to agree with 'Hear!' Hater. ;) 'Keep the faith' is essential to every collection.

DL - Adrenalize (this was the closest call)

Wow, that really surprised me, considering your status as a die-hard BJ fan. :)

Yeah, for once I have to agree with 'Hear!' Hater. ;) 'Keep the faith' is essential to every collection.

Well 'Keep the Faith' and 'These Days' are both available quite cheap so maybe I'll pick them up....

Well 'Keep the Faith' and 'These Days' are both available quite cheap so maybe I'll pick them up....

Wise choice. Can't go wrong with either of those.

Def Lep for the first three, Bon Jovi for the the second three. No surprise really if you've read my endless rants about Def Lep and post-Pyromania wussdom.

I tried to vote Def Lep on the first three and no votes thereafter because.....well, it's not good on any count from there. Anyway, it would not register without votes on the others so add three more to Lep's on the early albums.

Wise choice. Can't go wrong with either of those.

yep, 'These Days' is criminally underrated.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost--but not quite--a clean Bon Jovi sweep...

1. Bon Jovi all the way. "On Through the Night" is sonic rubbish.

2. Neither album was particularly good, and neither resides in my collection, but if forced to choose, I would much rather listen to "7800 Farenheit" than "High N Dry." But really, I hope to never have to listen to either one ever again.

3. No contest. "Slippery When Wet" is a masterpiece. While "Pyromania" is good as well, it doesn't achieve the lofty heights where "Slippery..." resides.

4. Two classic albums, but "New Jersey" is a few notches better than "Hysteria."

5. Here's where I strayed from the Bon Jovi fold, as unlike most, I quite like "Adrenalize" and rate it higher than the good-but-slightly-overrated "Keep the Faith."

6. I don't hate "Slang," but I really like "These Days," so this was an easy vote for me. It probably helps that "Something for the Pain" is one of my all-time favorite Bon Jovi songs.

Bon Jovi- S/T

Def Leppard- High N Dry

Bon Jovi- Slippery When Wet

Def Leppard- Hysteria

Def Leppard- Adenalize

Def Leppard- Slang although this one was close. I just love "Slang"...

Some were easy, some not so, but I had to go with Bon Jovi on all accounts!

The first one was easy, as I have never been a huge fan of the first two Lepp albums, apart from the obvious "hits".

As for the second album, as I say, was not the biggest fan of High n dry, but the same could be said of 7800, but I think the Jovi disc has grown on me over the years, and does actually feature some great tunes (Tokyo road is one of my all time fave Jovi tunes).

Slippery vs Pyromania was a no brainer.

While Photograph is one of my fave Lep tunes, there is not a song on Slippery that I do not love.

Slippery was just great from start to finish.

New Jersey vs Hysteria was the one that could have gone either way.

Both of these albums are absolute masterpieces to me, but I think Jersey edges it because I have loved it for slightly longer, and would probably play it more.

Once again, I voted for Faith over Adrenalize despite loving both, purely based on the fact I probably play this one a lot more than Adrenalize.

These days vs Slang was fairly easy as well.

I do like Slang, but overall I find it somewhat patchy, with only one or two truly great songs on it.

These days, while not their strongest release, is still a great album that I quite happily listen to from start to finish!

Had this gone on for the rest of their discography, I think Lep might have just edged it with Euphoria vs Crush, but X would have been trounced by Bounce!

• 3 weeks later...

Bon Jovi - s/t easily wons over OTtN

7800 trumps HnD for me, only for mostly nostalgic reasons...and "side 2" just kills!

Pyro took out SWW without even thinking, although SWW has some good stuff on it.

Hysteria by a nose over New Jersey...that one I had to think harder about.

KtF over Adrenalize...because IMO "Let's Get Rocked" and "Make Love..." bring the album down, and KtF is strong all over, with only "If I Was Your Mother" (IMO) being a speed bump.

These Days won over Slang because it is hands down my absolute favorite Bon Jovi album...while Slang is in my Top 3 albums for DL.

Damn, putting Pyromania vs Slippery When Wet was just down right mean!

Looks like it is a draw for me:

1. Bon Jovi S/T

2. Def Leppard - High N Dry

3. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet (by a coin toss, I think they are equally brilliant)

4. Def Leppard - Hysteria

5. Def Leppard - Adrenalize

6. Bon Jovi - These Days

Damn, putting Pyromania vs Slippery When Wet was just down right mean!

Looks like it is a draw for me:

1. Bon Jovi S/T

2. Def Leppard - High N Dry

3. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet (by a coin toss, I think they are equally brilliant)

4. Def Leppard - Hysteria

5. Def Leppard - Adrenalize

6. Bon Jovi - These Days

Def Leppard all the way no doubts ,how about Def leppard vs The Crue ??

• 6 months later...