LOST - Season 6 Thread

heaven&hell

It's on right now... but I'm recording it cuz my wife is at her cousin's and won't be back till about 9:30. We're both home tomorrow so we'll probably watch it in the PM while the young'in is napping.

I'll do my best to not email you a bunch of spoilers before you watch it.

I will not check my e-mail till I watch it then! :tumbsup:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping this starts up in Australia pretty soon too. It's been relegated to a digital-only TV station but they said it'd start soon after the Australian Open tennis. Can't wait for this. :)

last-Lost.jpg

Some good reading on EW.com regarding last night's epi of Lost; naturally, if you haven't seen last night's show yet, steer clear...

Lost recap

Popwatch with Lost creators

Lost creators on Jimmy Kimmel.

The wife and I just watched our recording of last night's premiere.

All I can say is: what... the... F*CK? :blink:

Spoiler Alert:

I'm assuming now that Said woke up that he is in fact Jacob now just as the other guy(smoke monster) is in Locke's body.

Yeah, good call mate. I assumed that Said was now also dead too and that the owner of his body would be someone else, but I bet you're right - it'll be Jacob.

We got a treat here last night. Recap episode (which I really, really needed) and then a double episode, which was awesome. So I think we're fully caught up to you guys.

Love the direction they've taken with this new series, showing what would have happened (or is happening?) if the plane had not crashed. Cool to see Boone back for authenticity too (It never clicked to me that he was in 'Lost' as he is one of the three lead characters in 'The Vampire Diaries'). But where was his sexy sister on the plane? Was that merely the producer's inability to financially intice her into coming back for the episode, or was her absence part of the actual script?

The wife and I just watched our recording of last night's premiere.

All I can say is: what... the... F*CK? :blink:

The Mrs. and I actually thought it did a decent job of recapping and clearing up most of the confusion...not all, but a good part.

• 1 month later...

SPOILER ALERT if you're not viewing current series: I think I'm still an episode behind you guys - we just got the one aired on Wednesday where Locke/The Black Mist killed all the survivors that stayed in the temple and Said killed the the Asian dude... but man, what a mindf*ck! I'm so lost at the moment! :lol: What the hell is happening? Either way, loving it. :)

WOW, did anyone else feel sorry for Ben? man, I felt so bad for him but I know in one or two episodes he will do something to make me not like him again.

Yes I felt sorry for him in his side story life but on the island he was a piece of shit so I didn't feel for him much at all.

• 1 month later...

So, we're down to just a few episodes...time to consider...what should the actors from Lost do next?

http://www.ew.com/ew...0366046,00.html

Some pretty interesting ideas here. :tumbsup:

http://www.lostisagame.com/

VERY interesting site which theorizes that LOST is all a game, similar to "The Sims".

--------------------------------------

Anyone have any specific thoughts about tonight's Jacob/MiB episode? To be honest, I was a little let down in that we're still not getting many answers, and time has all but run out.

*My theory on what LOST is... it's a mass delusion shared by all the survivors of the Flight 815 crash due to them all being exposed to/drinking... contaminated island water. I'll go into more detail before the series finale... :P

Good episode last night but it was strange to show a episode that didn't feature any of the main cast(except for flashbacks) when there's just two episodes left.

Did anyone else notice that the finale is on Sunday instead of Tuesday and is 2 1/2 hours long?

I read an interview a magazine had with the Lost writers and they basically said when the finale is over they will leave you with many questions and we can interpret for ourselves. They know a lot of people with be disappointed that exact answers were not given.

Mrs. Jeff was asking "who is that crazy lady that was on the island?" and "what is that stuff she had Jacob drink?", "how did SHE get there?", "how does SHE know these things?".

My opinion is that we will never get those and many other answers. Not only because of the magazine article I read but because of what the "crazy lady" sharply said to the pregnant mom: "stop asking questions because each answer only leads to more questions". I think that dialogue right there was also meant for us viewers.

Good episode, bummer the show is almost over.

Did anyone else notice that the finale is on Sunday instead of Tuesday and is 2 1/2 hours long?

Yep, there's a two hour series recap that night as well from 7-9, the 2 and 1/2 hour finale, and then there will be a special Jimmy Kimmel live after the late local news featuring the cast, crew, and supposedly some alternate ending footage (I'm guessing these will be gags, but you never know).

http://news-briefs.e...d-a-half-hours/

Also, I believe ABC is re-airing the first two episodes of the series on Saturday, the 22nd with the pop-up info/facts that we've seen in re-runs this season.

My opinion is that we will never get those and many other answers. Not only because of the magazine article I read but because of what the "crazy lady" sharply said to the pregnant mom: "stop asking questions because each answer only leads to more questions". I think that dialogue right there was also meant for us viewers.

I agree, and that quote from crazy mom has set off a shit storm on the LOST messageboards. LOTS of people venting over the fact that we're evidently going to be left with MANY unanswered questions. I've always figured that some things just wouldn't be addressed, but it's starting to look like the writers came up with all this wild stuff, and now have no real clue how to tie it all together. Making it all up as they went along, even though they've had an end date for what, over 2 years now?

Looks like we're up-to-date with your guys again as we just saw the same episode last night too. Wow, I wonder if this means I'll miss the last episode next week when I'm on holidays? Will need to set a timer record for sure! :)

As for the episode, yeah, crazy stuff. Many questions. I always thought the other brother was still "around" in some way, and was the symbol for the "evil" part of the island. Oh well, I just have no idea and probably won't at the end of it all. :lol:

Check out the original readings for the part of Sawyer:

http://www.movieline...memory-lane.php

I like Matthew Fox's take on the character. Intense.

I agree, and that quote from crazy mom has set off a shit storm on the LOST messageboards. LOTS of people venting over the fact that we're evidently going to be left with MANY unanswered questions. I've always figured that some things just wouldn't be addressed, but it's starting to look like the writers came up with all this wild stuff, and now have no real clue how to tie it all together. Making it all up as they went along, even though they've had an end date for what, over 2 years now?

There are WAY too many loose ends and unanswered questions for the show to end in a way that will totally satisfy everybody.

My guess is that they're planning on spinning the franchise off into stuff like tie-in novels, video games, maybe even a big-screen movie a few years down the road...

From Yahoo TV

10 Questions 'Lost' Needs to Resolve in the Series Finale

By Ryan McGee, Zap2it | Thursday, May 20, 2010, 4:14 PM

What happens if he gets his way?

Mario Perez/ABCWith the end of "Lost" just around the corner, fans are anxiously waiting to see how the show will end. Some are waiting with bated breath, and others are looking through their fingers at the approaching finale, simply (and aptly) titled "The End."

With only two and a half hours to go, there's simply no way for the show to answer every lingering mystery still up for discussion. I'm not entirely sure that's a bug as much as a feature: After all, were every question answered in the final 150 minutes, we would 1) have nothing but a long, boring series of expositional downloads coming our way this Sunday, and more importantly, 2) we'd have nothing to talk about once the final curtain closes. Some questions raised by the show are so metaphysical that no one program could ever claim to "answer" them, and some mysteries are in the eye of the beholder at home, not the writer in the studio. So, for the final time, let's push aside any expectation of the show answering everything this Sunday. Like John Locke, we should "let go."

That said, rather than go on a rant about "mysteries that need to be answered," I think it's perfectly fair to try and analyze "questions that need resolution." I've long favored the word "resolution" over "answer" — as the woman who raised Jacob and The Man in Black would tell us, answers usually only lead to more questions. For instance: the hieroglyphics that have dotted The Island's landscape, even creeping into the countdown timer in the Swan Station? They're most likely simple decoration, meant to allude to an aspect of The Island's history rather than be something to be decoded and applied as a type of Rosetta stone to the show as a whole.

Time magazine's James Poniewozik recently called "Lost" a "TV show with footnotes," and I think the hieroglyphics are one such footnote. Yes, they are interesting, but are they really crucial to the show's ultimate meaning, or simply extremely cool window-dressing meant to suggest rather than explicitly illuminate?

So here are 10 current questions about "Lost" that need to be resolved in the series finale.

1. What is the sideways world?

I mean, that's the biggie, right? It's only the central question at the heart of Season 6, and perhaps the most crucial question in the history of the show. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have constructed their climatic season around this complex, "Sliding Doors"-esque universe. They have insisted all along that the events in this world are real and have meaning. Throughout Season 6, we've seen people in this world "waking up" to remember their time on The Island. How are these two worlds connected, and how does that connection feed into the show's endgame?

[VIDEO: Catch up with full episodes of "Lost."]

2. Why is Eloise Hawking so darn insistent that Des stop waking people up in the sideways world?

We've seen the sideways versions of our Lostaways slowly realizing that the world around them isn't quite what it seems. But Eloise Hawking seems to remember The Island timeline perfectly well in "Happily Ever After." Did she cut a deal with The Man in Black to create a new timeline in which Daniel Faraday lived? Is the sideways world explained by the guilt of a mother (Eloise) combined with the rage of a son (The Man in Black)? Is she, not Jacob, the real reason Charles Widmore returned to The Island this season? All these subquestions lead to the next major one ...

3. What is the implication of The Man in Black destroying The Island?

In "LA X," The Man in Black insisted that he wanted to go "home." "Home," we have learned, is an amorphous concept for him, defined not by what it is, but rather by what it is not (namely, The Island). If he plans to use Charles Widmore's "fail-safe" to destroy the energy at the heart of The Island, does that give a hint into the submerged version of The Island in the sideways world? All of this leads to the major question ...

4. Is the destruction of The Island actually a bad thing?

Many fans think that the sideways world shows what would happen if The Island didn't interfere with the lives of our Lostaways. On a macro level, it's hard to argue against that. But "Across the Sea" and "What They Died For" complicate (but do not negate) this view. If the energy at the heart of The Island lives inside of us, then The Island might be a geographical, moral testing ground. It's cruel but necessary for human evolution, tempting our basest nature while providing an opportunity to expand our capacity for good. All of which is a way of asking the following query ...

[PHOTOS: Check out pictures of your favorite castaways.]

5. Would these characters lives have been better having never gone to The Island?

In this week's episode, Jacob suggested a symbiotic relationship between The Island and those that find themselves upon its shores. Both, on a fundamental level, need each other. But it's also a hard place, a violent place, a place that Charlotte Staples Lewis once called "death" incarnate. It's a place in which Charlie Pace died trying to protect Claire and Aaron. It was a noble death, a sacrifice made of love borne out of his experiences on The Island. But it's also one that might not have meant anything should The Man in Black succeed. Over in the sideways world, Charlie is back to being a junkie, but he's still alive, and in the same city as the girl of his literal dreams. Or is he? By which I mean to ask ...

6. Are these familiar faces in the sideways world the same people, or someone different entirely?

How the show answers this question will directly inform how the final two and a half hours play out. Let's look at both scenarios, using the players in the previous paragraph: Option A) Charlie and Claire meet in Los Angeles, fall in love, raise Aaron, and get the chance to be a happy trio in a way that they didn't get on The Island. Option B) Charlie's flash to his time on The Island shows him just how unreal his life in the sideways world is, and even if he stumbled across Claire in a Sideways Starbucks, he would merely stumble upon someone who looked a lot like the girl in his vision, but on a fundamental level wasn't the same person at all. They were meant to be a trio, but only for a short time, and only that short time. Let's carry this over and broadly apply it by asking the following ...

7. In what form(s) will sacrifice occur in the finale?

What's maddening about the two universes in "Lost" this season is also its greatest strength: It's still very difficult to decide as an audience member which one you want to "win," for lack of a better term. It's hard (although not impossible) to imagine the show ending with both timelines continuing into the narrative sunset. Depending on your perspective, both sides offer compelling views on what it means to live a life. But no matter which viewpoint you subscribe to, there will be things that must be given up for that universe to continue. Neither The Island timeline nor the sideways timeline will be immune from this. On The Island, we're looking at the literal destruction of what may lie at the heart of humanity. In Los Angeles, Desmond is gathering people to the mother of all cosmic concerts. Speaking of music ...

[Debate your theories in our "Lost" message board.]

8. Does Mama Cass explain everything about "Lost"?

When talking about all-time great "Lost" sequences, it's hard to omit the opening sequence of Season 2. It's a bravura segment set deep inside the Swan Station, with little to orientate the audience and a little song called "Make Your Own Kind of Music" scoring the whole endeavor. In a subtle yet tangible way, the concert in the sideways world is the most explicit expression of Mama Cass' metaphor. Coupling Mama Cass' song with the revelations in "What They Died For" paints a scenario in which fate and freewill are not opposites but simply perspectives. If a simple line of chalk doesn't discount Kate's candidacy, then what does that say about the rules (and "The Rules") that our characters have arbitrarily been living under for their entire lives?

9. Will Bai Ling appear in the finale?

Just making sure you're paying attention.

9. Why can't we find Christian Shephard in either timeline?

What started in "White Rabbit" has kept going, Energizer Bunny-esque, into the finale. Christian's absence has formed a palpable presence in Jack's life in both timelines. An astute commenter recently wondered if Jack's ascension to the rank of Island Protector now means The Man in Black can start shapeshifting again, and if so, could he take the form of Christian in order to confront his new nemesis? It's a pretty powerful thought, but even if that doesn't play out, look for Christian's involvement in the lives of the show's major players to finally pay off this Sunday. And, finally ...

10. Are we seeing the start of a new Age of The Island, or the start of something else entirely?

In "Across the Sea," we saw protectorship of The Island pass down from Mother to Jacob, in a ceremony that predated them both by possibly tens of thousands of years and countless other iterations. In "What They Died For," Jacob and Jack performed the latest version the ceremony, with the former officially passing the torch to the latter. Have the passengers of Oceanic 815 been brought to The Island merely to push the cycle into its next iteration, or to create an entirely new scenario altogether? In "The Incident," Jacob told The Man in Black, "It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress." Given the title of the finale ("The End"), and given Desmond's wildcard status in these proceedings, how exactly will "Lost" sound its final notes about the War of the Island? Will things remain status quo, with new faces replacing the old ones, or will "the end" give way to the next phase of humanity itself?

Unnecessary censorship... LOST style! :P