Favorite Classic AOR Band

Favorite Classic AOR Band  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can understand why these bands have their legendary status, but truthfully all have a very patchy history. Journey/Survivor/Toto have all made killer albums, and goddamn awful ones too. Frankly I don't like Foreigner one bit, especially the newest stuff I've heard from them. Boston also may have written some great songs, but they also wrote "Corporate America" (horrible).

I honestly believe that bands like: Bad English/FM/Strangeways/Giant/Treat deserve every bit as much respect (if not more) for the consistency of their catalogue as these bands....

Preach on brother T! None of these bands will ever make the top 100 of any list I will ever create referring to who I believe the best bands are. As you say, even I like a couple of albums from Journey and Survivor and one from Foreigner... but as you also so correctly say, how many bands are there out there with discographies 100 times as consistent? And quite frankly, bands who's best albums totally destroy anything from these guys too. :)

Mmm, I dont really agree with you here Tim.

As much as I like the bands you refer to, your argument doesnt really stack up and as usual it all comes down to a matter of taste.

FM - 2 fantastic albums and then a load of albums full of fillers...can hardly call that consistent??

Bad English - 2 good albums, with some killer tracks and also some average ones.

Strangeways - the last 2/3 albums were good. Native Sons is slightly over rated tho and has some filler.

Giant - 2 very good albums (never heard III). Again their style is not completely my bag and there is some filler on each album....esp the debut.

Treat - Ive never been a huge fan of Organised Crime......most on here will rave over it like its the best thing since sliced bread.....but not me. So again its all about taste. Dream Hunter is probably a better album but again not without filler

So there you go.........most of those bands have only had 2 or 3 albums, so by that mark they dont deserve to be mentioned alongside the great AOR bands like Journey and Survivor ....both of which have had 4 or 5 killer albums plus some other good but not so great releases.

Cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with Glen here - We are meant to be talking about what is considered the favourite of THE classic five bands listed here, whether you like some, all or non of them. You can add whichever AOR band is your preference to this thread, but Treat, FM, Giant, Strangeways etc, whilst all fabulous bands, do not reach the 'Classic' band status like the above 'Big' 5 in my book.

For me, this totally depends on which era of AOR you were brought up on, as in my honest opinion, all the 'Big' 5 have large discographies (except Boston) that few have ever equalled in quantity or quality. Odd albums for sure, but overall not close.

I see what you guys are saying and my agreement wasn't necessarily with the actual bands Tim mentions, but more the general statement that there are many better bands with much better discographies. But then again, I'm not really thinking of just the AOR genre either. But in regard to those bands, it is well documented that I hate half of FM's discography, for instance.

But just on Treat, of their 6 albums (including 'Muscle In Motion') I honestly believe 5 are excellent and (for me) virtually filler-free. And the s/t album is great too, but definitely including some pretty average fillers. As Glen says, it's a matter of taste but I certainly don't believe Treat lack the discography to back up their worth as a worthy band.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really an AOR fan, I much prefer hard rock and metal. I love some of the heavier Journey stuff, so had to vote for them. I just can't get into Toto or Survivor, everything I hear from them is so soft and none of the tunes stand out for me. The big hits ('Africa' and 'Eye Of The Tiger' respectively) are great songs, but great pop songs at that. Nothing else I've heard has grabbed me, although I'm happy to take pointers for highlight (heavier) tracks as I like to keep an open mind. Also any check out tips for Foreigner gratefully received...

Had to go with Journey.

1. Journey

2. Foreigner

3. Boston

4 Survivor

5. Toto

• 1 year later...

For me it will always be ...... BOSTON !!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Had to go with Toto!