Favorite Classic AOR Band

Favorite Classic AOR Band  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Not a Big AOR fan But I gotta give this one to TOTO, who are

arguably the Best Musicians in this scene, Steve "The Shredder" Lukather

is so fucking good it's funny...he does NOT get the Credit he's due. Most People

will go on and on about how great Neal Schon is, I think Steve blows him out of the water...Not to mention the fact that Steve Is also the #1 Session Guy of All Time!!

I love Neal Schons playing, but undoubtedly Luke is a better player by quite a distance.

Backed. Still don't like Toto though... :(

Heathen ;)

:lol: You know it!

I honestly don't really like any of these bands (bar a few good songs/albums), but here's my ranking:

1. Journey - admittedly they do have quite a few decent songs in the catalogue, even if there are more duds. The new disc is probably all that got them above Survivor to be honest.

2. Survivor - 'Vital signs' is a nice enough disc and 'Too hot to sleep' is the best album any of these bands has released. Their new one a few years back was okay too. They would have been my top choice until Journey's 2008 release. Not a bad band, to be honest.

3. Foreigner - Love the 'Mr Moonlight' disc... got no time at all for the rest.

4. Boston - Don't like anything from them, but they have a few harmless tunes I guess.

5. Toto - From what I've heard of these bands, these guys are by far the worst. That 1992 album I heard from them was almost okay-ish at best (well, 3 songs anyway), but if I recall correctly the rest have been absolutely terrible.

Ye Gods was there any point posting in this thread!

Why, 'cause I didn't praise them all? I have opinions on each band... sorry I didn't know they had to be glowing reports. Maybe you best retract your Blind Date comments then, if that's how the forum should be run according to you? :P Creep. ;)

Boston - Always loved this band, simple catchy rock n' roll songs, you can't go wrong. The S/T disc is a favourite.

Foreigner - Great band, Lou Gramm has a magical voice, as with Geoff, Mr. Moonlight is a favourite album of mine.

Journey - You can't go wrong with Journey, so many great songs throughout their career. I love the Escape and Raised On Radio albums best.

Survivor - All their 80's albums from Eye Of The Tiger through to Too Hot To Sleep are quite nice to listen to. Not sure about the rest.

Toto - I've tried to like this band but overall they bore me a little. A few killer songs though.

I honestly don't really like any of these bands (bar a few good songs/albums), but here's my ranking:

1. Journey - admittedly they do have quite a few decent songs in the catalogue, even if there are more duds. The new disc is probably all that got them above Survivor to be honest.

2. Survivor - 'Vital signs' is a nice enough disc and 'Too hot to sleep' is the best album any of these bands has released. Their new one a few years back was okay too. They would have been my top choice until Journey's 2008 release. Not a bad band, to be honest.

4. Boston - Don't like anything from them, but they have a few harmless tunes I guess.

5. Toto - From what I've heard of these bands, these guys are by far the worst. That 1992 album I heard from them was almost okay-ish at best (well, 3 songs anyway), but if I recall correctly the rest have been absolutely terrible.

Why, 'cause I didn't praise them all? I have opinions on each band... sorry I didn't know they had to be glowing reports. Maybe you best retract your Blind Date comments then, if that's how the forum should be run according to you? :P Creep. ;)

He he....bitten again. Just didnt really see much point in posting in order of awfulness?? The only reason I posted in the Blind Date thread was cos I got interested in your appraisal of it as 'the highlight of 2004'.....which IMO turned out to be b*******s :whistle:

:drink:

He he....bitten again. Just didnt really see much point in posting in order of awfulness?? The only reason I posted in the Blind Date thread was cos I got interested in your appraisal of it as 'the highlight of 2004'.....which IMO turned out to be b*******s :whistle:

:drink:

Yes, I have replied aka 'bitten' again. You guys all cannibals over there in the UK as it seems that in order to have a conversation you must eat someone?

Journey; even though they really dropped off for me from "Raised on Radio" on

Boston ; the debut is one of the greatest ever!

Foreigner; debut also a great one!

Going with Journey based on their whole body of work and the great players that have been in the band ; Neal Schon, Greg Rolie, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Smith ,Steve Perry.

I love Steve Lukather's guitar awesomeness and Jeff Porcaro's drumming, but not enough to push them up in the running...

• 8 months later...

I went with Survivor ONLY because they are much more consistant than Journey. IMO the only really good things Journey put out was FRONTIERS and ESCAPE (which are just monster albums) before that they had no energy and after that they were just going through the motions.

RAISED ON RADIO was just all over the place it does have my all time favorite Journey song in "Be Good To Yourself" and after that the album was just a mess...jazz, pop, blues WTF were they going for?

Survivor The most Legendary AOR band of all times for me. Because they have te Perfect style of AOR they are 100% AOR/3 Super Albums (84-86-88)/Eye Of The Tiger(The AOR anthem of our Planet)/Soundtracks(The best AOR band in OST)/Jimi Jamison-Jim Peterik. Survivor is The Immortal band.

What!? are U serious or Nuts? HAHAHA...

JOURNEY is the Real Classic AOR band BY FAAAAAAR.

JOURNEY IS THE BEST BAND IN THIS WORLD.

:tumbsup:

I can understand why these bands have their legendary status, but truthfully all have a very patchy history. Journey/Survivor/Toto have all made killer albums, and goddamn awful ones too. Frankly I don't like Foreigner one bit, especially the newest stuff I've heard from them. Boston also may have written some great songs, but they also wrote "Corporate America" (horrible).

I honestly believe that bands like: Bad English/FM/Strangeways/Giant/Treat deserve every bit as much respect (if not more) for the consistency of their catalogue as these bands....

I can understand why these bands have their legendary status, but truthfully all have a very patchy history. Journey/Survivor/Toto have all made killer albums, and goddamn awful ones too. Frankly I don't like Foreigner one bit, especially the newest stuff I've heard from them. Boston also may have written some great songs, but they also wrote "Corporate America" (horrible).

I honestly believe that bands like: Bad English/FM/Strangeways/Giant/Treat deserve every bit as much respect (if not more) for the consistency of their catalogue as these bands....

Preach on brother T! None of these bands will ever make the top 100 of any list I will ever create referring to who I believe the best bands are. As you say, even I like a couple of albums from Journey and Survivor and one from Foreigner... but as you also so correctly say, how many bands are there out there with discographies 100 times as consistent? And quite frankly, bands who's best albums totally destroy anything from these guys too. :)

• 1 month later...

My Opinion:

1. Journey - On Escape, all the songs were good. The rest of the Steve Perry albums had between 3-6 good songs.

2. Foreigner - On 4, all the songs were good. The first 3 albums had 4 good songs on each. I feel Foreigner started going downhill after 4.

3. Boston - On S/T, all the songs were good. The rest of the albums had a few good songs. I hate Corporate America and hope since Brad Delp died they never do another album.

4. Survivor - They had 5 really great songs.

5. Toto - They had 4 really good songs.

:lol: Good one. Thought you were being serious there for a moment.

Foreigner

Journey

first two are close

then,

Survivor

not too far away, then

Boston

Toto

:lol: Good one. Thought you were being serious there for a moment.

Actually, I was being serious. I only have Survivor and Toto's greatest hits. I bought one of Survivor's albums when I was a kid. I guess I'll have to take a listen again.