Nickleback is on HH?

Leykis101

Lets just agree to disagree...

Well it's just my 2 cents but if we're letting Nickelback and other "Modern" bands then why not let the Grunge bands in like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, STP and Pearl Jam. After all they were just "Modern" rock of that time period and they had melodic songs with good guitar solos. And just like todays "Modern" rock not everyone likes them.

Because those bands were as melodic as my foot.

Exactly!

While I really detest 99.9% of the grunge crap that came out, of the big 4 bands, I could easily see AIC being on this site. But let me add that I would probably throw up a little in my mouth if they were.

I don't listen to jack as far as the newer bands...the limited exposure I've had to them has been VH1 in the morning while getting ready for work. And from that, absolutely nothing stands out...everybody sounds exactly the same to me...shitty downtuned guitars played by talentless hacks who have no business having a record contract. It just kills me that that kind of stuff gets played when something REALLY good like the new Whitesnake album is released & it gets zip as far as airplay. Now that's a crime!

I have a buddy who is 10 years older than me and he always says 80's hair rock is just a rip off of 70's prog/metal and my parents say 70's prog/metal was just a rip off of 60's pshychodelic/acid rock and my older Uncles say 60's rock was rip off of 50's blues rock and so and so on.

Every generation loves what they grew up listening and many have a hard time excepting new/modern stuff. I can't even watch award shows anymore, because I don't like or don't really know any of the artists.....we're getting old people. You can probably count on one hand the number of regulars on HH that were born in the 80's or 90's. Even Geoff is getting old...he's turning 30 this year is he not?

I personally don't mind Nickelback and I like a lot of modern rock out there. All hard rock has it's place on HH as long as the lines are drawn and they are found in their own category. Saying that, putting Nickelback in an AOR/Hair Rock or Metal category or topic would be an insult to me, just like when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for a Heavy Metal Grammy way back in '89. However Nickelback should be found in the Modern Rock topics and categories on HH. I rarely participate in Prog Metal or Thrash Metal topics of this site because for the most part it is not my cup of tea, yet I can't prevent others from loving or talking about it.

I personally don't give a sh*t one way or the other if Nickelback is on the site. Everybody just smoke up and chill out willya? Cheeseandrice! <_<

I have a buddy who is 10 years older than me and he always says 80's hair rock is just a rip off of 70's prog/metal and my parents say 70's prog/metal was just a rip off of 60's pshychodelic/acid rock and my older Uncles say 60's rock was rip off of 50's blues rock and so and so on.

Every generation loves what they grew up listening and many have a hard time excepting new/modern stuff. I can't even watch award shows anymore, because I don't like or don't really know any of the artists.....we're getting old people. You can probably count on one hand the number of regulars on HH that were born in the 80's or 90's. Even Geoff is getting old...he's turning 30 this year is he not?

I personally don't mind Nickelback and I like a lot of modern rock out there. All hard rock has it's place on HH as long as the lines are drawn and they are found in their own category. Saying that, putting Nickelback in an AOR/Hair Rock or Metal category or topic would be an insult to me, just like when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for a Heavy Metal Grammy way back in '89. However Nickelback should be found in the Modern Rock topics and categories on HH. I rarely participate in Prog Metal or Thrash Metal topics of this site because for the most part it is not my cup of tea, yet I can't prevent others from loving or talking about it.

Very well spoken, Dave !! :drink: Completely my opinion.

Now could we restart the discussion about adding Bryan Adams to the site - in the right category ?? ;)

Now could we restart the discussion about adding Bryan Adams to the site - in the right category ?? ;)

You run the risk of people talking about NB in a thread titled NickelBack ;)

You run the risk of people talking about NB in a thread titled NickelBack ;)

Yeah, I know ! But I reckon that gets more attention than starting a Bryan Adams thread !! ;)

:lol:

Dan made some changes to HIS site to accomodate some newer bands that HE felt were melodic enough to fit in here. It's probably easier to just deal with it than it is to sit and lose sleep over it :whistle:

Even Geoff is getting old...he's turning 30 this year is he not?

:crying:

Jokes aside, my eyes did well up a bit seeing this in writing. :(

Dan made some changes to HIS site to accomodate some newer bands that HE felt were melodic enough to fit in here. It's probably easier to just deal with it than it is to sit and lose sleep over it :whistle:

Yeah you're right. As long as Bryan Adams has been added at last I can sleep more easily at night!

:D

This discussion is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Comparing Nickelback to Soundgarden or Nirvana? WTF?

To the people that are complaining about Nickelback: Have you even listened to Dark Horse or are you going based on preconceived opinions?

I have this track linked on the Best of 2008 page. Listen to it all the way through (not just the intro guitar riff) and tell me that's not Grade A stuff???

I mean, I know I'll be hitting the ancient age of 43 next month, and my hearing is probably shot, but damn...

-Dan

I dont see what the issue is, or how it can affect people so much.

Its a bloody database of melodic rock music, not your life.

I am sure there are a load of CDs on here that people here dont like, so maybe we should delete every single album or band that one or two people dont like.

I personally find grunge to be about as melodic as a bag of rusty spanners falling down the stairs, but would I whine and cry if any grunge bands made it on here?

No, because I can choose to just ignore them.

Arguments about why is band x or band y not on here, are valid, but arguments about taking someone off the site, are pointless.

Live with it or move on, nobody is forcing anyone to keep coming to this site.

I am sure there are a load of CDs on here that people here dont like, so maybe we should delete every single album or band that one or two people dont like.

This is a fact. I would say without doubt that I don't know/like the vast majority of CDs listed on the main site.

Well put sir.

This discussion is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Comparing Nickelback to Soundgarden or Nirvana? WTF?

To the people that are complaining about Nickelback: Have you even listened to Dark Horse or are you going based on preconceived opinions?

I have this track linked on the Best of 2008 page. Listen to it all the way through (not just the intro guitar riff) and tell me that's not Grade A stuff???

I mean, I know I'll be hitting the ancient age of 43 next month, and my hearing is probably shot, but damn...

-Dan

:rofl2:

HaHa! I got all you guys! I was going to go with the Thompson Twins, but then i realized they arent even on this site??? But In all realilty, to the person that says every generation bitches, thats a good point and true, but where has the musicianship gone? the people from the Seventies sure in the hell werent bitching because the bands from the eighties played to simplistically, at least I couldnt see how they would, where are the licks? I dont need somebody to jerk off all over the guitar, but come on, play something a little complicated, a little different, and get off the four chords!!~!!!

Who cares how simple of technical it is, as long as it sounds good?

Jeez, some of the biggest and best rock acts perform simplistic music, that we still enjoy (AC/DC, ZZ Top etc).

Nickleback perform good singable rock tunes, and thats all that matters to me, not how complicated the arrangements are!

A lot of modern hard rock bands, such as Lorene Drive, Disciple, Escape The Fate, Story Of The Year etc. actually have guitar parts that easily outplay a lot of current HH material.

I personally don't give a sh*t one way or the other if Nickelback is on the site. Everybody just smoke up and chill out willya? Cheeseandrice! <_<

Well I happen to like Nickelback, and their latest album Dark Horse is Excellent!!! :headbanger:

However I will smoke up and chill out..... :pimp: