Favorite song: Wildside - "Under the Influence" (1992)

Wildside - "Under the Influence"  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have the Jap copy of it and I think the production could have been better but don't think it's terrible at all.

Voted for 'Hang on Lucy' but the closest thing to it are 'Hair of The Dog' and 'Clock Strikes'.

Like Valentine, it's not terrible. It's just very weak due to the piss-weak drum recording.

I don't own this disc, but the HQ versions on You Tube actually sound excellent - I wonder what you guys are listening to????

Get the CD (because it's an absolutely excellent album) and you will understand immediately. Listen to this track, when the drums kick in. This is where it was most obvious to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RcBOx7mdLw

And I have to ask... why on earth don't you own this album? It's a classic, of sorts, to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry you don't like the production job, I for one love it! Guitars sound huge, vocals up front nicely just the way I like it. Drums don't bother me but they're in line with the guitars so I don't notice them (in a negative way) or have any issue with it

The singer said that's what they wanted for the album, just a big sound but they had trouble replicating it on stage later which is why they used pre-recorded tracks live (backup vocals definitely, not sure about other things)

Yeah, see I think the guitars are nowhere near in line with the drums. I agree the guitars and vocals are huge... which is why I can't understand the top-hat style tin drums.

I always get tense that things so obvious might not be so obvious to others. To put it as simply as I can, here are 3 songs from 3 similar bands, all from 1992. I'd consider these 3 peers of each other. Play them back to back and tell me there isn't a huge discrepancy with the sound of the Wildside drums compared to the other two. They just sound piss-weak, on an album where they should have been a driving force... like they are with Skid Row, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjwQNCu824

I'll listen again tonight, probably in the car for full effect. But see this might be where opinions differ. While I like Skid Row, I don't think the sound on ''Slave To The Grind'' packs a punch as much as Wildside's does

Again, not dissing Skid Row and their songs may even require a different sound or production but after the clean intro in ''Monkey Business'' when the main riff with the distorted guitars kicks in..... it's still a good riff but it's not a ''big'' sound at all. And the drums..... don't stand out to me in any way but they hardly ever do

But yeah let me re-listen tonight and I will pay close attention to the drums this time

I'll listen again tonight, probably in the car for full effect. But see this might be where opinions differ. While I like Skid Row, I don't think the sound on ''Slave To The Grind'' packs a punch as much as Wildside's does

Again, not dissing Skid Row and their songs may even require a different sound or production but after the clean intro in ''Monkey Business'' when the main riff with the distorted guitars kicks in..... it's still a good riff but it's not a ''big'' sound at all. And the drums..... don't stand out to me in any way but they hardly ever do

But yeah let me re-listen tonight and I will pay close attention to the drums this time

Yeah, re-listen back to back and see if you still feel that way. ;)

Just had a listen and I got to agree..... Wildside drums sound kinda ''tinny''. First song I listened to was ''Lad In Sin'' where it's really evident but on other songs (''Hang On Lucy'' / ''So Far Away'' / ''How Many Lies'' are the ones I listened to afterwards) not that much not sure why that is. Out of the three videos you posted I think Sven Gali sounds best drum wise

Yeah, Sven Gali and Skid Row both sound great. I never really noticed Wildside too much before either. It's just when you play it back to back with other well produced CDs and you just think, what is this shit? Shame, because like I said, the songs are brilliant.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...