Dimebag Darrell - 4 Years since his murder

heaven&hell

Today(December 8th) it's been 4 years since Dime's murder.

Fuck it still pisses me off that that fuck killed one of the greatest Metal Guitar players ever.

I've been on a huge Pantera kick lately, both old Glam stuff and the more Heavy stuff from the 90's.

I've also been reading the new book "Dimebag Darrell: He Came to Rock", which I highly recommend to all Dime fans. Dime and Pantera was huuuuge part of my life from 92-2004, so I miss this guy quite a bit.

So to those Dime fans throw on some Pantera or Damageplan and maybe even make yourself a Black Tooth Grin and bow down to the King of Heavy Metal Guitar. :bowdown:

dimetrib.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im too busy paying tribute to John Lennon with Abbey Road to listen to Pantera...

sure i respect Dime alot, and hes an influence on me, but i think that john Lennons death 28 yaers ago is a more important thing to pay tribute to...

im too busy paying tribute to John Lennon with Abbey Road to listen to Pantera...

sure i respect Dime alot, and hes an influence on me, but i think that john Lennons death 28 yaers ago is a more important thing to pay tribute to...

Why?

Sure John Lennon is an icon no doubt but he's an icon to my parents Generation and died when I was 6 years old where Dime was from MY generation and died when I was actually alive. Besides as I mentioned above Pantera was adn Dime was a huge part of my life and their music got me through some dark times. I'm not a Beatles fan at all, sure I respect them, but the point of this thread was to talk about Dime and the mighty Pantera.

I agree Wes! Dimebag Darrell will always be remembered through his ass-kicking guitar!!

RIP Dimebag!!

:banger::headbanger:

Currently listening to Damageplan "New Found Power" in honor of Dime.

This cd is so fucking underrated IMO. :banger:

im just saying that i think John Lennon should be recognized aswell, i havent seen one mention of him all day (it WAS December 8th right? or am i crazy?)

its just all Dimebag, everywhere, which is fine, but Lennon was an ICON as you say, and he's still more famous i think

im just saying that i think John Lennon should be recognized aswell, i havent seen one mention of him all day (it WAS December 8th right? or am i crazy?)

its just all Dimebag, everywhere, which is fine, but Lennon was an ICON as you say, and he's still more famous i think

I haven't seen one thing about Dimebag anywhere.

The reason I started this thread was because I was reading his book and realised that today was the day.

Of course Lennon is more famous but he didn't mean to me what Dime and Pantera did.

The point of this thread was to honor Dimebag not talk about Lennon.

John Lennon and/or Dimebag Darrell - they're both the same to me. Great musicians killed for no intelligent reason at all. If both had been some kind of a drug dealer, considered a traitor or even been a member of the U.S. Congress, their killers may have had some good reason. Now think about that and get pissed off.

No offence to Lennon or his memory - both these events are perfect examples of how f*cked up many humans are - but this is a hard rock/heavy metal site. Dimebag was a hard rock / metal guitarist - Lennon wasn't. The less I see mentioned of Lennon and the Beatles here the better... and more appropriate.

RIP to both.

Why?

Sure John Lennon is an icon no doubt but he's an icon to my parents Generation and died when I was 6 years old where Dime was from MY generation and died when I was actually alive. Besides as I mentioned above Pantera was adn Dime was a huge part of my life and their music got me through some dark times. I'm not a Beatles fan at all, sure I respect them, but the point of this thread was to talk about Dime and the mighty Pantera.

I have an easy answer for you.This is a thread for Dimebag...start a Lennon thread if you want to pay tribute to him.

R.I.P Dime. Been playing "Vulgar Display..." this morning in memory of an amazing musician.

I'll admit I was never the hugest Pantera fan (gimme their old "Glam" albums and COWBOYS FROM HELL, that's where I got off) but what happened to Dimebag sucked either way. Nobody deserves to go out like that.

Oddly enough, whenever the anniversary of Dimebag's death rolls around I find myself thinking of my Uncle Vinnie. He passed away the day before Dimebag, so I heard the news about Darrell via morning TV as I was packing my stuff in preparation for the three hour drive to my Uncle's wake and funeral. At the time I thought to myself "Wow, that sucks," but I was too wrapped up in my own problems to worry about Darrell. By the time I got back home from that trip, the updates on Blabbermouth.net about his death had to have been up to fifteen pages' worth at least. Some of it was a little over the top (I will never forget when Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater said "This is our 9/11" -- gimme a f**king break, pal) but in the end I did feel pretty bad about what had happened.

As for Lennon -- wow, I'm really getting old. I was ten years old when he was killed. At the time I knew little about him other than the fact that he was a Beatle (my Mom was a huge fan so it hit her really hard), but over the years the more I learned about him, the more I liked him and realized what a loss it was. In the early 90s I happened to be in NYC on the anniversary date of his murder with a couple of friends and we stopped and hung around for a while at the all-day memorial that was going on in Central Parks' "Strawberry Fields." (I'm sure all the hippies who were waving candles, swinging tambourines and playing Beatles songs on guitar were wondering what the heck this six-foot-plus longhair in a leather jacket, boots and a Metallica shirt was doing there, though...Haha) and that was a pretty cool thing to be a part of, even if it was only for a little while.

R.I.P. to both of them. Going to have to remember to play Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" and Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" sometime today.

i just want to point out that without Lennon, half our favourite bands might not have existed, i think he was a keystone in terms of musics evolution, and his influence spreads further than people might think...

as for Dime, his death means alot to me aswell because i was alive when it happened and i was a fan of Pantera (i still am! i own 4 of their albums that get played regularly)

RIP to both of them :(

i just want to point out that without Lennon, half our favourite bands might not have existed, i think he was a keystone in terms of musics evolution, and his influence spreads further than people might think...

I dont agree. Lennon was boring, weird and overrated. There are alot of other bands from that period who may have had more influence on our (HH style) music.

Im not particularly a fan of DD, but at least hes in the realms of HH.

i just want to point out that without Lennon, half our favourite bands might not have existed,

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Anyway, that's for another thread.

i just want to point out that without Lennon, half our favourite bands might not have existed,

Backed backed and backed.

For every good song John Lennon wrote (of which there weren't very many imo) he and that wanker Mcartney wrote about 20 shit ones - listen to the Beatles back catologue and the proof is there to be heard. THE most overrated band ever imo.

Anyways can't believe it is 4 years already since the death of Dimebag. Pantera were not really my thing musically speaking, but he was a good player for what he did..

Backed backed and backed.

For every good song John Lennon wrote (of which there weren't very many imo) he and that wanker Mcartney wrote about 20 shit ones - listen to the Beatles back catologue and the proof is there to be heard. THE most overrated band ever imo.

Anyways can't believe it is 4 years already since the death of Dimebag. Pantera were not really my thing musically speaking, but he was a good player for what he did..

Yeah, having heard what I'd guess is close to The Beatles' entire discography via my dad I would agree with that completely. Amazing amounts of pure shit for only a handful of some decent catchy pop.

But yeah, I agree. For whatever reason, the anniversaries of deaths seem to really push home how fast time flies. I was amazed to see 4 years had gone too.

and here goes another SR86 debate that no-one will agree with;

Geoff, you like Bon Jovi.....Richie Sambora picked up a guitar after seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show....

if the beatles didnt exist then its very likely he woulda just found another band, but, maybe he would have listened to more Eric Clapton and just gone straight into blues instead of rock...

im not going to list everyone that The Beatles influenced in our genre, all im saying is that if you look at the influences that our favourite bands have they probably go back to The Beatles, or Elvis or some other 60s band (the stones even), and if they dont then i bet their influences' influences do...

Dimes father was a session guitarist in the 70s wasnt he? maybe The Beatles are the reason he started playing guitar, in which case Dime wouldnt have even been famous if it werent for Lennon......but, this is only a guess....

at the end of the day, theres no way i can prove it....but nearly every great 80s rock musician played music that sounded alot different to what their influences played (Alexi Laiho of Children Of Bodom's biggest influence was Mark Knopfler and the Dire Straits, and now he plays death metal)

and heres an excerpt from Wikipedia for you Jez about Luke:

"Lukather was born Steven Lee Lukather on October 21, 1957 in San Fernando Valley, California. He started out playing keyboards and drums and then taught himself how to play the guitar starting at age seven when his father bought him a Kay acoustic guitar and a copy of The Beatles album Meet the Beatles. Lukather indicates that the album "changed his life" and that he was greatly influenced by the guitar playing of George Harrison in particular."

i had no idea Luke was influenced by The Beatles when i started this post, i just had a look at what made him learn to play out of curiousity and there it was...

so its possible that without The Beatles, Luke wouldnt play guitar, he'd be a keyboard player primarily, and because of that Toto may have never gotten anywhere...

does anyone agree with me yet? even if you dontlike the bands music, i can guarantee that atleast one of your favourite bands was influenced by them....theyre the foundation for most (not all) of the bands that followed

so in summary, the two people that called my statement bullshit, are fans of two different bands who were both influenced by The Beatles quite abit...

and here goes another SR86 debate that no-one will agree with;

Geoff, you like Bon Jovi.....Richie Sambora picked up a guitar after seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show....

if the beatles didnt exist then its very likely he woulda just found another band, but, maybe he would have listened to more Eric Clapton and just gone straight into blues instead of rock...

im not going to list everyone that The Beatles influenced in our genre, all im saying is that if you look at the influences that our favourite bands have they probably go back to The Beatles, or Elvis or some other 60s band (the stones even), and if they dont then i bet their influences' influences do...

Dimes father was a session guitarist in the 70s wasnt he? maybe The Beatles are the reason he started playing guitar, in which case Dime wouldnt have even been famous if it werent for Lennon......but, this is only a guess....

at the end of the day, theres no way i can prove it....but nearly every great 80s rock musician played music that sounded alot different to what their influences played (Alexi Laiho of Children Of Bodom's biggest influence was Mark Knopfler and the Dire Straits, and now he plays death metal)

and heres an excerpt from Wikipedia for you Jez about Luke:

"Lukather was born Steven Lee Lukather on October 21, 1957 in San Fernando Valley, California. He started out playing keyboards and drums and then taught himself how to play the guitar starting at age seven when his father bought him a Kay acoustic guitar and a copy of The Beatles album Meet the Beatles. Lukather indicates that the album "changed his life" and that he was greatly influenced by the guitar playing of George Harrison in particular."

i had no idea Luke was influenced by The Beatles when i started this post, i just had a look at what made him learn to play out of curiousity and there it was...

so its possible that without The Beatles, Luke wouldnt play guitar, he'd be a keyboard player primarily, and because of that Toto may have never gotten anywhere...

does anyone agree with me yet? even if you dontlike the bands music, i can guarantee that atleast one of your favourite bands was influenced by them....theyre the foundation for most (not all) of the bands that followed

so in summary, the two people that called my statement bullshit, are fans of two different bands who were both influenced by The Beatles quite abit...

Kiss is my favorite band and there was no band that were a bigger influence on them then the Beatles, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to like them. Sure I respect them and I even like some of their songs but I actually prefer the bands they influenced such as Kiss, Cheap Trick and Enuff Z' Nuff.

But AGAIN I'll say that the point of this thread was to talk about DIMEBAG DARRELL not John Lennon.

I'm not trying to take away what Lennon meant to other people but the mainstream media adores Lennon and Cobain and people that they think are great while the tragic deaths of HH style musicians such as Dimebag, Criss Oliva(Savatage) and Eric Carr(Kiss) get swept under the rug and very rarely talked about.

I remember when Dime was murdered and they talked about it on CNN and the news guy Anderson Cooper even said he didn't know who was and it was a very short story. Again no offense to Lennon fans but he didn't mean a Goddamn thing to me personally while Dime was a huge part of my musical life and his and Pantera's music got me through some very shitty times. So in conclusion please stop talking about John Lennon.

FUCK

oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread, i might just made a brand new one tommorow...

i just think my statement has more credibility to it than you guys think....someone must agree with me, or am i that twisted in my ways of thinking :unsure:

oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread, i might just made a brand new one tommorow...

i just think my statement has more credibility to it than you guys think....someone must agree with me, or am i that twisted in my ways of thinking :unsure:

I think if you read my last post you'll see what I think.