rip-off ebay seller [japanrarehunter]

• My Little Pony

I placed a bid with one of japanrarebunter's items and immediately after remembered this thread. Hope everything goes alright. Does anyone know what his practices are like lately?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have weighed in several times. Look, I don't know what he does. I have bought from him a lot. Bid what you are willing to pay then it doesn't matter. If he is doing something like that then he will end up winning the cd back anyway.

• My Little Pony

I have weighed in several times. Look, I don't know what he does. I have bought from him a lot. Bid what you are willing to pay then it doesn't matter. If he is doing something like that then he will end up winning the cd back anyway.

No, you're right. Bid what you're willing to pay. My main concern is that it's legit. I'm assuming you've never encountered any boots with him, if you continue to buy from him.

• 9 months later...

Oh dear ... I just won an auction from japanrarehunter without checking the forum first. The item is shown as having $7 shipping, but he has invoiced me $12. It does mention $12 in the description in a small table, which isn't particularly clear. Certainly not as obvious at the very clear "$7" at the top of the page! I suspect he won't let me off this one and I'll end up with an unpaid item strike.

Silly me. :rolleyes:

Oh dear ... I just won an auction from japanrarehunter without checking the forum first. The item is shown as having $7 shipping, but he has invoiced me $12. It does mention $12 in the description in a small table, which isn't particularly clear. Certainly not as obvious at the very clear "$7" at the top of the page! I suspect he won't let me off this one and I'll end up with an unpaid item strike.

Silly me. :rolleyes:

Request shipping without case and he will ship it for $7. I buy from him all the time with no issues.

• 10 months later...

I bought from him kind of a lot in the past, never had a problem with receiving an item.

Yep you always get your CDs. The issue most have with him is he shill bids to get what he believes the cd is worth. I recently stopped buying from him mostly because I am looking for bargains. He realists the same items constantly if his other user Id wins them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Shill bidding heaven.

• My Little Pony

Shill bidding heaven.

I think we have that part covered by now ;)

Hey, I heard this guy is notorious for shill bidding. Is that true?

• My Little Pony

Shill bidding heaven.

I think there's a thread about that somewhere around here...... :whistle:

I'll find it...

Shill bidding heaven.

I'll find it...

Please post the link...

Ok now I'm curious...;)

• My Little Pony

Shill bidding heaven.

I'll find it...

Please post the link...
Ok now I'm curious...;)

Oh, shit! It took me a while, but I finally found it. Here it is:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19691&page=1

• 2 years later...

japanrarehunter this rip-off seller has another big problem

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=japanrarehunter&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&searchInterval=30&which=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

he is selling FAKE OBI. if above negative feedback about FAKE COPY OBI is the only one, that can be just his mistake. but my friend also got FAKE COPY OBI from him. he got refund. this rip-off seller know they are fake copy obi. but if his buyer doesn't know about that, he will not say anything. he will just keep his $$$.

it is big problem as much as shill-bidding. you may know he keep his feedback list as private when he doesn't sell. the reason is without any doubt that he doesn't want people to read the negative feedback.

yeah that's a problem, JRH is a bit shady from the days shill-bidding is possible

He implemented a good strategy of refunding when there's a complaint. Not to say he's right coz it's totally wrong, but maybe he did it out of a statistic from 100 people, less than 1% will complain and since OBI sometimes double the value of a disc, then business-wise it's very profitable.

e-Bay definitely won't harm him as they keep receiving 10% of the sales value so at the end of the day, buyer is on the losing side, sometimes it'll be better to send him a question regarding this OBI before bidding

yeah that's a problem, JRH is a bit shady from the days shill-bidding is possible

He implemented a good strategy of refunding when there's a complaint. Not to say he's right coz it's totally wrong, but maybe he did it out of a statistic from 100 people, less than 1% will complain and since OBI sometimes double the value of a disc, then business-wise it's very profitable.

e-Bay definitely won't harm him as they keep receiving 10% of the sales value so at the end of the day, buyer is on the losing side, sometimes it'll be better to send him a question regarding this OBI before bidding

So, it's not a matter of pure greed and cynicism? Why taking more risks for something that is way more detectable?And risking negative feedback which may result in ruining its small family business operation.

Because, by applying the same statistical logic of yours, he could afford more to get cds with original OBIs which then he would shill bid to exospheric heights, with minimal risks for his investment.

So, it's not a matter of pure greed and cynicism? Why taking more risks for something that is way more detectable?And risking negative feedback which may result in ruining its small family business operation.

Because, by applying the same statistical logic of yours, he could afford more to get cds with original OBIs which then he would shill bid to exospheric heights, with minimal risks for his investment.

I can think of 2 reasons :

1. Shill bidding is nearly impossible to do again as e-Bay started policy adjustment years ago regarding this matter.

2. He didn't do it often, maybe once in 100 cases and he keep doin' it because he got away with it several times. Maybe he got few complaints but a full refund to customer solved the matter and only one or two cases resulted in negative feedback. The profit in this is way too high I guess, get a rare Jap copy without OBI for $30, copy OBI for $1, and sell it for $100.

I can think of 2 reasons :

1. Shill bidding is nearly impossible to do again as e-Bay started policy adjustment years ago regarding this matter.

2. He didn't do it often, maybe once in 100 cases and he keep doin' it because he got away with it several times. Maybe he got few complaints but a full refund to customer solved the matter and only one or two cases resulted in negative feedback. The profit in this is way too high I guess, get a rare Jap copy without OBI for $30, copy OBI for $1, and sell it for $100.

shill bidding is very safe because ebay doesn't care that. ebay love $$$ and the ebay policy against shill bidding is just joke. japanrarehunter also know it well. you know nowadays he used to sell his CDs with various starting prices. if the starting bid of any rare item is $9.99, yes, he will do shill bidding in the last day if the price is still low than he expected.

and

yes, he will not make fake obi often, he doesn't need to make fake obi of Helloween "keeper of the seven keys". if his rare item has very clean obi, it is better to suspect fake one.

• 2 years later...

the notorious ebay seller japanrarehunter did a big bad job again.

he is selling fake Japanese OBI strips.

see attached picture. left one is original and right one is the fake one from japanrarehunter

it was reported he made a lot of fake OBI strips for many rare CDs. known fake OBIs are Chastin (MP32 series), Venom japanese assault, Iron Maiden (3200 yen series), Unruly Child, Vio-Lence, Death Angel, Airdash, Wild Dogs etc.

don't trust photo of his ebay items. he used to take a picture of original one, and will send you fake one he made.

so don't buy any Japanese CDs from him. that is best.

100.png

3 hours ago, hardrockheaven said:

the notorious ebay seller japanrarehunter did a big bad job again.

he is selling fake Japanese OBI strips.

It is bad enough trying to make sure disc images are legit before buying/bidding, now we have to even be careful that the OBI strips are real?  When I first started rebuilding and adding harder to find cds to my collection some years back I wasn't aware how prevalent bootleg discs and shill bidding was.  It's crazy how far scammers will go and a real shame that collectors have to become overly suspicious of everyone because of some bad sellers.