Guns & Roses vs Metallica - 2008

Guns & Roses vs Metallica  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Believe it or not I have yet to hear either one. :banana:

Chinese democracy easily.

I do like Death magnetic, but it lacks hooks, so I cant think of a single track thats stood out to me so far, where as I really like most of the tracks on Democracy, and was hooked by several of them on first spin!

If I was forced by gunpoint, then Guns, but seeing as both of them are crap, I really couldn't care less to be honest.

Even though the GNR is much better than expected my pick is Metallica and Death Magnetic.

Metallica for once gave their fans what they wanted, a back to basics thrash metal album.

The GNR on the other hand sounds nothing like their old stuff at all.

We can all argue about the production or lack there of and the sound quality of the Metallica album but to me anyway it kicks butt. The GNR album has incredible production but since it doesn't really sound like a GNR album then I can't pick it in this poll.

Easy one: Metallica. "Chinese Democracy" may have a 2008 date stamp on it, but it already sounds 10 years old. "Death Magnetic" is a damn fine album IMO....

Metallica for me by an absolute country mile.

Death Metallic is an awesome return to form for them and for me pisses on the GnR offering in every way shape and form.

Easy one: Metallica. "Chinese Democracy" may have a 2008 date stamp on it, but it already sounds 10 years old. "Death Magnetic" is a damn fine album IMO....

Really? I don't think that at all. How old would you say the Metallica sounds?

Haven't heard either myself yet. I'm looking forward to purchasing and hearing the GNR but I could care less about the Metallica.

Well Metallica's stuff is pretty timeless, apart from the first 3 albums you could never really tell which year they came from. But GnR is a very 90's album, with some Industrial-sounding parts (like on the horrible "Shacklers Revenge") & a lower tuned guitar. I don't hate it, in fact the vocals are surprisingly great, but it has so many slower/wierd sections & intros & production effects that the album as a whole just never gets up any momentum IMO....

Well Metallica's stuff is pretty timeless, apart from the first 3 albums you could never really tell which year they came from. But GnR is a very 90's album, with some Industrial-sounding parts (like on the horrible "Shacklers Revenge") & a lower tuned guitar. I don't hate it, in fact the vocals are surprisingly great, but it has so many slower/wierd sections & intros & production effects that the album as a whole just never gets up any momentum IMO....

Backed, whereas the Metallica kicks arse from beginning to end IMO. :tumbsup:

At least W.Axl R has never put out anything remotely as terrible as Load and St. Anger...

You forgot "Re:Load", that sucked as bad!

This is true, but whereas Axl was spending his time stalking other celebs hoping to get his picture taking & living off the royalties of the one good album he made 20 years ago, at least Metallica were still playing concerts for their fans - even if their studio material was crap....

Wow, I love the Shacklers Revenge song. Keep listening to it bud...it gets better with every spin ;)

I decided I'm going to listen to them both quite soon. Immediately put off by the length of them both, namely Metallica which has about ten ten minute songs. Oh well, I'll see how I go anyway.

Wow, I love the Shacklers Revenge song. Keep listening to it bud...it gets better with every spin ;)

I like that song too and I don't think the album sounds dated at all which is a suprise after knowing that many of these songs were written many years ago. I really can't think of another album I've heard that sounds like the GNR, of course that's up to others if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The Metallica on the other hand sounds very much like Justice which would make it sound dated considering that Justice came out in 1988. But with that being said I still think it kicks ass.

I agree.

The fact that Magnetic sits somewhere between classic Metallica and the black album, makes it sound even more out of date.

Democracy though, fits in quite nicely with modern rock/metal, while still retaining some of the classic sound!

I have to totally disagree with you about Metallicas sound being timeless, as they have changes styles so many times, its easy to pin down each era.

Kill em all obviously sound seriously dated with its poor production, and basic structure.

Puppets and Lightning are both very similar in style, and although they hold up well still today, they are still very much a product of the 80s Bay Area thrash scene, jusr more technically proficient.

Justice was never a big fave of mine as it just seemed to bog down, being far longer an album than it needed to be, but was more polished than the previous two.

Still very much a product of the 80s though.

The Black album was very much an album of its time, but once again holds up well.

Load had some good moments (and Re:Load to a lesser extent) but overall, both albums were fairly poor, being very much bandwagon jumping albums, and dont really hold up well.

St. Anger.....St. Shite more like.

Pure and utter tripe of the highest order, that had no place being released in any time period.

More bandwagon jumping.

And finally Death Magnetic is a pure throwback to that 80's era, with a nod to the early 90's for the more melodic stuff.