Who`s loving Metallica`s - Death Magnetic?

Faron

Metallica are certainly not one of my favourite bands but I always give them a listen when a new album comes round.

Their new album is one I borrowed from my best mate and it`s probably getting more airtime in my household than anything else of late.

I caught them playing a couple of new songs on the Jools Holland show and thougt they sounded okay for a first listen!

The album itself for me is pretty heavy in places but also melodic enough to keep my attention.

Some great guitar on this too and I`m not normally too keen on Kirk Hammet!

Probably my favourite album this year and that controversially puts it over Journey`s - Revelation :wtf::yikes::omg:

My standouts up to this point re........

That Was Just Your Life - Great Opener

The Day That Never Comes

Cyanide

Not the biggest Metallica fan, but I do own a few of their discs and appreciate some of their stuff . 'Death Magnetic' though is complete crappola imo.!

It's a really good album and a great return to form considering what they've done recently.

With all that being said it's still not gonna be in my top 10 but it is a great Metal record.

Backed. Gets a lot of spins in my player, and is a very good disc IMO. The only track I skip over is "The Day That Never Comes" as it's a bit boring & takes too long to get going, but otherwise is a definite return to form. Won't make my Top 10 either, but that's only because of the high quality of other music that's come out this year. And the production is pretty damn good IMO, & this is usually something I'm pretty fussy about!

I've been meaning to spin this sometime as my wife was also mildly interested in it so I figured we could listen to it in her car sometime instead of the radio... still hasn't happened yet, though. Hopefully soon.

Still ain't heard it in its entirety... and probably won't till I can find a used copy on the cheap... after the ST. ANGER debacle I swore that I was not going to throw any more of my hard earned $$ into the roaring bonfire that is Metallica, Incorporated.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have made a similar oath regarding GNR's CHINESE DEMOCRACY. :whistle:

My honest opinion is its a good album, just not a great one.

It gets big points for returning to their classic sound (it sits somewhere between the old school Ride the lightning for riffage and The black album for melody), but what lets it down for me somewhat is the hooks.

There are no hooks that make the songs stand out from eachother.

When I first heard Metallica, it was Ride the lightning (I think Justice was out at the time tho), and I really was not into thrash, but the album became a personal fave as it had instantaneous hooks that made certain tracks stand out more than others.

Even Load and Reload had a few songs that did this as well (although the bulk of those albums was dross), but Death Magnetic seems to just blur into one big long song, that slows down every now and again.

I do enjoy it, and actually bought it just after it came out, which is something I refused to do with that steaming turd St. Shite, which I waited til I could get for pennies, just to complete the collection.

I love it - i've been spinning it all weekend.

Great great album IMO.

:banger:

i think it is good listen. there are some points that i cant figure out what they are trying to do but on the whole DM is a good album. It isnt as horrible as their past 3 albums or so and it isnt a homerun like the first 4. It is a grower though. I had to listen to it 3 times before it started to click...

Alex

Listening to it for the first time right now... so far it actually sounds pretty decent... will require a few more spins for it to sink in though...

Is this anywhere as good as their 80s stuff?

Well probably not. It's not as consistent as their early albums, nor is it groundbreaking or genre-defining in any way whatsoever. But what it is, is the very most we could've expected from Metallica in 2008: a very good raw-sounding Heavy Metal album that is well worth buying. Though it has been very over-hyped in some of the Press (Metal Hammer have just voted it their Album of 2008. Ahead of Slipknot/Trivium/Amon Amarth/Opeth? I think not...).

I'm up to track # 6 of my first spin ("Cyanide") and nobody is more surprised than me to say that so far I've really liked what I hear. I was really gun shy about buying this album after so many years of disappointments (especially the ST. ANGER debacle, at the time that was the final straw, I declared that Metallica was never getting another nickel outta me as long as I lived), but after the great reviews for the new one my curiosity finally got the best of me. No, it's not Album of the Year, but unless this thing completely turns to sh*t during the four tracks I haven't listened to yet, it is already the best thing I've heard out of Camp Metallica since the Black Album.

Pass the salt -- I may be eating some crow here after all the sh*t talkin' I've done about this band over the past couple of years... :lol:

I'm up to track # 6 of my first spin ("Cyanide") and nobody is more surprised than me to say that so far I've really liked what I hear. I was really gun shy about buying this album after so many years of disappointments (especially the ST. ANGER debacle, at the time that was the final straw, I declared that Metallica was never getting another nickel outta me as long as I lived), but after the great reviews for the new one my curiosity finally got the best of me. No, it's not Album of the Year, but unless this thing completely turns to sh*t during the four tracks I haven't listened to yet, it is already the best thing I've heard out of Camp Metallica since the Black Album.

Pass the salt -- I may be eating some crow here after all the sh*t talkin' I've done about this band over the past couple of years... :lol:

Keef, its a great album and gets better with every spin.

All Nightmare Long and Cyanide are kick arse indeed.

I even like Unforgiven 3 - that solo is immense.

The last track is a monster IMO. :banger:

The only one that doesn't do much for me so far is Unforgiven III.