Death of a Pet

LV KIX

Well... It's that time again. Tomorrow morning I will be taking my cat (Edan) to be put to sleep. This one is much tougher than the last one. I have had Edan for over 20 years. Again, my son is heartbroken. I'm taking this one very hard as my cat has been with me most of my adult life. Starange to think how much a cat can mean to someone. My cat has been through everything with me. No mater what she was always there and always loving. My son decided that he wanted to spend the night with his grandmother because he knew he would cry too much if he helped me bury Edan. My son is now 10 years old and he is not taking this well at all. He does understand that it is time and that our cat needs to be put to sleep. He is actually the one who told me it was time. I was going to take Edan in today... but being (maybe) a bit selfish I wanted one more night with her. This kind of thing never gets any easier. Just hard for me to believe that in under 12 hours my pet of 20 years will no longer be here. Even knowing that I am making the right decision at the right time doesn't seem to help me. I am 100% sure I will NEVER have another cat.

Once I am done with her burial my son and I will be going out to pick up a red rose to plant at her grave. I just hope I can be strong enough as to not upset my son too much.

Really sorry to hear that, extremely upsetting time for you all.

One of my cats had to be put down recently, she was a beautiful loving cat, even though she was with my ex wife she was still my cat.

My two boys were devestated and I was probably more upset than anyone, I cried big time and reading your post had filled my eyes up.

So sorry to hear that Dave. I know how you feel. My condolences to you and the fam.

It's weird. I think I handled the deaths of both of my parents pretty well. And while those certainly are more painful/evident daily, I can absolutely not handle putting a pet down. I had to put my Daisy down on May 24th. I bawled like crazy and drove home in a stupor.

But exactly 2 weeks later, I was using a shortcut because of all the damn construction around here and I drove past a cat that had been recently hit. As I looked though, it's baby (kitten that was following it) just sat there in the weeds on the side of the road, kind of frozen with fear or confusion. My waterworks started and 2 days and $350+ later, I had a 10 wk-old companion for my near 16 year-old kitty. (Not that she'll like it when I'm finally allowed to integrate the two of them.)

As much as I swore after Bristol and Daisy went, I was done, I guess I'll be in the cat-owning biz for a substantial amount of time.

(I'm suspicious of folks that can't love animals, even if pet owning is not for them.)