Butch Walker - 'Sycamore Meadows'

Geoff

well i played two songs to my brother, Tainted Angel and Freak Of The Week

he thought the first was a Vince Neil solo song, and the second he thought was Blink 182...

so whats a better album? Exposed by Vince Neil or Enema Of The State by Blink 182?

yes i have a warped sense of logic, but it works out in the end :tumbsup:

Butch Walker's last two solo albums, 'Letters' and 'Sycamore Meadows' are a million times different to Marvelous 3 and his debut solo disc (which could be the 4th Marvelous 3 disc). Marvelous 3 is almost like Southgang for the late 90's and 00's. Well written, but hooky/commercial hard rock.

'Letters' and 'Sycamore Meadows' are far more mellow, personal, heartfelt and deeper releases.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he thought the first was a Vince Neil solo song, and the second he thought was Blink 182...

so whats a better album? Exposed by Vince Neil or Enema Of The State by Blink 182?

Oh... and Blink 182 collectively could only ever dream of having even an ounce of Butch Walker's talent's excretement.

Either of Peter Criss' solo albums are better than anything Blink 182 have released.

But what about the previous 181 blinks? :whistle:

As for this new Butch release... Ummm.... Let's just say i'm not very impressed, and I consider myself a Butch fan. We need the Marvies back :banger:

Just wanted to throw this out there for any Butch fans that were unaware.

Amazon.com is offering a free track that Butch didn't put on Sycamore Meadows as a free download. I don't know how long it'll last, so I figured I'd put it up here.

That track is "That Side of You". It's very reminiscent of a song that would have been very at home on Sycamore Meadows, with a Letters feel, but a bit more varied musically.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, here is the link.

Just wanted to throw this out there for any Butch fans that were unaware.

Amazon.com is offering a free track that Butch didn't put on Sycamore Meadows as a free download. I don't know how long it'll last, so I figured I'd put it up here.

That track is "That Side of You". It's very reminiscent of a song that would have been very at home on Sycamore Meadows, with a Letters feel, but a bit more varied musically.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, here is the link.

I'm there this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up. I will put this on the same CD as the live versions of the other tracks you uploaded the other day. :)

I'm there this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up. I will put this on the same CD as the live versions of the other tracks you uploaded the other day. :)

Very nice, good sir!

I'm glad that someone is willing to listen/will enjoy (and I know you will enjoy the live tracks, even if you don't agree with my personal opinion of them vs. the album tracks). :drink:

Very nice, good sir!

I'm glad that someone is willing to listen/will enjoy (and I know you will enjoy the live tracks, even if you don't agree with my personal opinion of them vs. the album tracks). :drink:

I forgot to mention... tried to download this last night but it looks like it's only available to US customers. :(

If you have a spare moment, I'd blow you a cyber kiss if you could hook a brother up with the MP3 please. :)

Random Butch-related subject: How f*cking fantastic is the hidden track on 'Letters'??? I assume it's called 'Straight Line' or something? Man I love that song!!

I don't know if you've done it before, but shoot me your email. It'll take a couple of them, but I'll send them out.

Anyone else that can't get them needs them, let me know. (If there's a big outcry for them, lol, I'll re-upload them to another hosting site.)

I don't know if you've done it before, but shoot me your email. It'll take a couple of them, but I'll send them out.

Anyone else that can't get them needs them, let me know. (If there's a big outcry for them, lol, I'll re-upload them to another hosting site.)

Sorry mate, I'm being a confusing schmuck again. Your download is fine - it's just the one bonus song off Amazon I can't get. My email address is ihaveteeth@hotmail.com

No hurry.

Cheers mate. :)

Hey Geoff. It's done. Let me know if it arrived OK and if it works.

(Oh, don't worry about the misunderstanding. I drank for the first time in a week and half last night. It's probably me. Especially since you said "customer" and you don't need to be a customer of the D/L site. lol)

The bonus track on Letters is Stateline. It is indeed fantastic. I heard it about 8 months before the album came out. It was on a video of a live show he played in Chicago, in Oct. '03, if I recall correctly. The little venue he was in went absolutely silent and was spellbound by his performance. It was absolutely insane! (And just as I said about the live tracks from SM, as I heard those before the album cuts, live with an acoustic is truly Butch's milieu. He excels and that version of the song just kills. The pain drips out of his voice and you can hear the intensity pour out of the acoustic guitar.)

Yep, just checked. It's there. Thanks a bunch, mate - much appreciated. I'll finally get them on a disc and give them a spin hopefully sooner than later. ;)

Yep, just checked. It's there. Thanks a bunch, mate - much appreciated. I'll finally get them on a disc and give them a spin hopefully sooner than later. ;)

Glad to hear it! No problem at all. Enjoy!

1. The Weight of Her - Really like this track - full of pop rock elements, a good beat, and good vox/effects. Probably the best choice to lead off the album. (Maybe Brooklyn, but Weight was best, IMO.)

2. Going Back/Going Home - I like the personal song nature. This version works better than the live one. Live was a little too drawn out. The choice of instrumentation/effects is super on this.

3. Here Comes The... - Nice ballad, good lyrics. Instrumentation doesn't work with the lyrics for me. The live vocal was mournful and . Seems the vox are overpowered by the drum/beat, to me. I like the BG vox though.

4. Ponce De Leon Ave. - Not a huge fan. Pretty sure I'd like at least a little better without the brass, too. I'd love to hear that mix, as I think the vox work pretty well. Have to have a talk with someone. lol

5. Ships in a Bottle - Still a very good ballad, but, this suffers for the same reason as Here Comes The.... (But, I think after it kicks in at the first verse, it is much better overall, than Here Comes The....)

6. Vessels - Not a typical Butch vocal, but I find this pretty decent pop rock that will prob. be a grower.

7. Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought of You - Yet another great ballad, that, IMO, suffers from poor pacing/instrumentation. Lyrics are sorrowful, but music doesn't fit it. The keyboard beat - YUCK! :crying:

8. The 3 Kids In Brooklyn - Felt this peppy number worked pretty well as a pick me up after PYP. I liked it and found the lyrics worked well. (I can see Geoff's point about how BG vox could be annoying for some. Guaranteed this'll be the sing-a-long live.)

9. Summer Scarves - Great song and it works the way Butch put it on the album, even though live was superb too. One of those songs that should work full band/acoustic live. Which is Butch's true milleu. But everything about this song works on a great level!

10. A Song For The Metalheads - Some personal messages in this song for Butch, and not a bad song overall, but nothing I found essential, on the album or live.

11. Closer To The Truth and Further From The Sky - OMG! What a song! It sounds ripped from Butch's early life, but it's just him and an acoustic to start and nailing some personal lyrics. The effects bring to mind Marah's "Freedom Park" or something Springsteen did and this works on EVERY level. GREAT SONG!

12. ATL - IMO, this works so much better on the album than live. Not that it wasn't powerful live, but the piano and vocal sound so much better (obviously than a bootleg!) with some production behind them and there's almost a hollow feeling that permeates your ears/heart as you listen. Another win for Butch!

Figured after a week of listening to the album, I'd give it another go.

1. The Weight of Her - Definitely a highlight of this album. Without a doubt a great leadoff track for this album. Pretty much just the total pop bliss that Butch is capable of.

2. Going Back/Going Home - Still like this track. It's a little long for my taste. The novelty of his little rap/rant in the middle of the song has worn off, but it's still not a bad track.

3. Here Comes The... - This song works well.... after the first verse. After a couple of spins, I realized that it was like Ships in that way.

4. Ponce De Leon Ave. - All I can think of every time this track kicks off is "Yay, it's back to the Butch Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" song. Really wish they'd have put a different track on in its place.

5. Ships in a Bottle - Ships is still a great song. Just don't like the way it launches either. Not bad, but not essential either.

6. Vessels - Definitely not a favorite, but it definitely has grown on me and I would assume will continue to do so.

7. Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought of You - REALLY can't stand the ghetto organ beat behind this track. I literally remember flipping the switch and having this beat on the organ in our family room as a kid. I'm sure it's recreatable on something else, but that's the only thing I can focus on when listening to it.

8. The 3 Kids In Brooklyn - This one is definitely in my top 5 on the album. Fun track, very sing-a-longable kinda song.

9. Summer Scarves - Good track, but, after my opinions live, I just don't find this one as essential as I probably should.

10. A Song For The Metalheads - Not horrible. Probably works better than the live version I heard. Just doesn't feel necessary either. I don't think some people will even get the dig at them that's in this song either.

11. Closer To The Truth and Further From The Sky - This song is SO Butch's homage to the Boss. As of now, probably my favorite track on the album. Just absolutely great. To me it feels like it's just started as it's ending. The fastest 4.5 minutes in some time.

12. ATL - Can't be more pleased with how much better this is than the live version. Butch really hit a home run with this meaningful song. Beautiful!

13. Voice and Piano (hidden track) - Gotta FF through 4:56 of dead air, but when you get there, WOW is it worth it! A piano ballad song with lyrics dripping with honesty. Great BW vocals, soaring through the chorus. Absolutely a killer bonus! (Back to the greatness of the Letters bonus All Falls Apart. Wasn't crazy about New York Minute from Rise & Fall.)

To be honest, after a few concerted efforts at a listen to each song on the disc, I've not found mself skipping tracks so that basically I'm listening, at least all the way through, to tracks 1-3. 6, 8, and 11-13. Eventually it'll get pared down onto the iPod and I won't have to sift.

(Back to the greatness of the Letters bonus All Falls Apart. Wasn't crazy about New York Minute from Rise & Fall.)

Would it be out of line to ask you to email me these bonus tracks, "All Falls Apart", "New York Minute" and "That Side Of You"? I seem to have missed them, and at this point the only way to get "That Side" from Amazon is to re-purchase the entire album!

My email is petepizza @ gmail.com (without the spaces of course) Thanks, if it's not too much trouble!

(Back to the greatness of the Letters bonus All Falls Apart. Wasn't crazy about New York Minute from Rise & Fall.)

Would it be out of line to ask you to email me these bonus tracks, "All Falls Apart", "New York Minute" and "That Side Of You"? I seem to have missed them, and at this point the only way to get "That Side" from Amazon is to re-purchase the entire album!

My email is petepizza @ gmail.com (without the spaces of course) Thanks, if it's not too much trouble!

It certainly isn't out of line, to me, for you to ask for those.

I love ANYONE that enjoys Butch's music and am happy to help recruit new people or further others' exposure to Butch's incredible library of music.

So, no, not out of line at all! :tumbsup:

I love ANYONE that enjoys Butch's music and am happy to help recruit new people or further others' exposure to Butch's incredible library of music.

Awesome, thanks! Butch kills it, no doubt about it

hey, would you be willing to send these to me as well? i'd really appreciate it, i'd love to hear them. my email is amarston @ gmail.com.

thank you so much!

- alex

This is a little off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some Butch's music from Southgang, the Floyds, and Floyd's Rock Revival. I've been a big fan since Marvelous 3, but I've never dug into his older stuff. Does anyone know where it's available? Thanks!

So I gave this a spin all the way through & I kinda like it. I loved "Letters", & this was pretty similar. Whether you like this style or not you can't deny this guy is an awesome songwriter. There are too many ballads on here, but the album still flows pretty well. Definite fave is the awesome "Closer to the Truth..." which is an absolute MONSTER, but there are probably only 2 or 3 tracks I'd have to skip. Anyone know when an actual CD of this is coming out?

Glad to hear it! No problem at all. Enjoy!

Forgot to get back to this thread.

Heard the bonus track - thanks again. Not one of my faves from the new sessions, but a decent song.

As for the live tracks, wow, that's a real bootleg, hey? :lol: I'm not really used to listening to this sort of stuff to be honest (a lot of crowd noise and stuff) but the songs were beautiful. Definitely liked the piano version of 'Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought of You' and 'Atl' sounded nice too... but to be honest, I prefer to stick with the album versions. Still, very cool listen and thanks for the upload.

Jeez he does deliver live, though. I love that you can hear the passion in his voice at every moment.

• 1 month later...

Boring Holiday story:

For 5 days of my three weeks off I spent them up with my bro in Forster (3 hours up the NSW coast), where we surfed all day and drank and partied all night. At our parties (which was just the two of us drinking copius amounts of beer and playing pool on his little table) he'd put on his REM and Radiohead CDs and then I'd put on some stuff I had up there, usually just novelty Bon Jovi, Poison, Roxus etc. from the old days.

However, after a bit of Radiohead and some real mellow stuff he had going on we got to talking about Butch. Now, my brother (a hardcore hip-hp/rap fan) HATES Marvelous 3 and 'Left of Self-Centered' with a passion and wouldn't let them near his stereo, but I assured him I reckoned he'd like 'Letters' and 'Sycamore Meadows'. So on it went; 'Letters' first and then 'Sycamore Meadows'. During his CDs, every now and then he'd make us stop all movement, take our beers to the lounge and just sit there and lose ourselves in a particular song. I instigated such a moment when 'Atlanta' came on. Two drunk dregs sitting on a lounge listening to the sounds of Butch's poetry spilling out over the speakers, echoing through his apartment. He was a little unimpressed with the overly hollow vocal effect at the end of the song and found a few words hard to make out, but basically he was captivated by the brilliance that was before us.

Result being, he did actually really dig the 2 CDs and has asked me to burn him a compilation CD of the best songs from 'Letters' and 'Sycamore Meadows'. Pointless post? Hell yes. But a victory in my book.