pawn shop pet peeves

HERBROCKS

#1- I hate the discs stored out of the cases! It really wastes my time to gather the jewel cases for the titles I want and take them to the counter, have the pawnbroker flip thru the binders to find the discs, most of which will be too scratched for me to use anyway (I hate binders too!). It is very frustrating for everyone involved, esp if the store is busy.

#2- Multiple prices! This another timewaster, sorting thru CDs color coded with 5 or more different price structures, trying to find some that are not overpriced. Combine with #1 and go crazy! Also they never update the colors, so any "hot" CD stays expensive forever, no matter how many copies they get.

#3- The in-store "music expert"! This is the guy who decides what to charge for each CD. They are never impartial about the music, if he likes rock, he will charge more for rock, if he likes country, he will charge more for country, and so on. This can work in your favor of he doesn't like the music you are looking for though. Of course, he dosen't care about the CDs condition, he will still try to get full price for a EAGLES GRST HITS disc that looks like pizza.

I've got more... :)

finding a good cd and the disc is missing.

finding a good cd and then finding that one of the inserts is the wrong one (from some completely different album)

AHHHH! Good ones! I get the opposite a lot, a good title case with the wrong CD inside. When I return another day and see it again, I know it's the wrong CD but I still have to check it... :)

Store hours!!!

Pawn shop owners are a breed of their own. They are only open when they feel like it. One local store that no longer exists, no surprise there was open for less than 24hrs in an entire week. They were closed Sunday, Monday and Saturday and opened from noon to 5 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 20 hours in one week!!!! I went there 4 times, once on a Saturday and found out the hours and came back another day when they were supposed to be open, not opened, came back once more, not opened again and finally came back to find the store was closed for good.

Pawn shops always have "store under renovations" or "will be back in 3 hours" written in their windows.

I swear they are only a front for the sale of illegal drugs.

We had 9 pawn shops in 2000 here in Niagara Falls, now we only have 3 and none of them have any cd's.

And of course....the store that is packed to the gills with thousands of CDs at $5.00 each. Only $20 if you buy 5 or more.......trouble is, the guy running the store takes every piece of crap that anyone brings in, including homemade CDRs with absolutely no knowledge of music whatsover. They put a high sale price on the trash and wonder why they will be buried with it they check out.

This is one of the reasons many stores no longer even take in CDs. They think they don't sell. Hello......crap doesn't sell well either!!! Good stuff in.....good stuff out.......

Seems like every time ive been to one,it smells of freaking weed in there.Alot of those jokers are dealing in stolen merchandise no doubt as well.

Sounds like some wild pawnshops! Most of them here are clean bright corperate chains. There are a few independants, but they don't get much.

I ran into this peeve last time I hit the pawn shops...both stores I went into had racks of cd's but they have the shelves going all the way to the floor. So I'm crawling around on my hands and knees on either dirty carpet or dirty tile trying to find that one "lost gem" only to discover pile after pile of ©rap and 90's alternative shite.

Seems like every time ive been to one,it smells of freaking weed in there.Alot of those jokers are dealing in stolen merchandise no doubt as well.

or bad body odor

My pet peeve about pawn shops is that the ones around here are all in neighborhoods where it's unsafe for a boy from the suburbs to be. :crying:

I ran into this peeve last time I hit the pawn shops...both stores I went into had racks of cd's but they have the shelves going all the way to the floor. So I'm crawling around on my hands and knees on either dirty carpet or dirty tile trying to find that one "lost gem" only to discover pile after pile of ©rap and 90's alternative shite.

Backed. I've been there and done that.

My pet peeve about pawn shops is that the ones around here are all in neighborhoods where it's unsafe for a boy from the suburbs to be. :crying:

It's not a whole lot of fun when you feel like the only white man in Harlem. :baneed:

It's not a whole lot of fun when you feel like the only white man in Harlem. :baneed:

No but it is a whole lot of fun being the only man in a Harem!!!

I started to notice that some of the pawnshops back in Southern Illinois had stopped carrying cds all together.

I asked a couple of guys at some stores and they said they weren't going to buy anymore because they just couldn't make any money from them.

I started to notice that some of the pawnshops back in Southern Illinois had stopped carrying cds all together.

I asked a couple of guys at some stores and they said they weren't going to buy anymore because they just couldn't make any money from them.

Yea, a lot of them have stopped selling CDs. I started noticing this several years ago, but a few have started carrying them again. They only pay pennies for CDs, it's pure profit, even if they sell slow.

I had a new pawnshop open up this year with a nice bunch of clean CDs so I made it a regular stop. The selection kept getting smaller even though they were putting new ones out. One day there were none and the guy said "we don't have them anymore because nobody buys them". I said, what happened to the ones that were over there, and he said "people bought them all". HUH? :0

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just last night at a pawn shop and found "If You What Blood" AC/DC for $4aus,took it to the counter,the guy could not find the cd plus it was the remastered cd.I fuckin' that. :2up::doh:

I would go on record as saying I probably have the worst of these tales to tell. About 5 years ago I was in Manly Cash Converters and I nearly had a cardiac arrest when I plucked The Brave's 'Battle Cries' from the shelf. My hand was twitching with glee the whole time I held it. Got to the counter, guy looks around for about 5mins and eventually *KAZAAAM!* he says, 'Sorry - can't find it.' I left my broken heart on the floor of Manly Cash Converters that day. Absolutely destroyed my balls. And I still don't own the CD to this day. :(

Just last night at a pawn shop and found "If You What Blood" AC/DC for $4aus,took it to the counter,the guy could not find the cd plus it was the remastered cd.I fuckin' that. :2up::doh:

I would go on record as saying I probably have the worst of these tales to tell. About 5 years ago I was in Manly Cash Converters and I nearly had a cardiac arrest when I plucked The Brave's 'Battle Cries' from the shelf. My hand was twitching with glee the whole time I held it. Got to the counter, guy looks around for about 5mins and eventually *KAZAAAM!* he says, 'Sorry - can't find it.' I left my broken heart on the floor of Manly Cash Converters that day. Absolutely destroyed my balls. And I still don't own the CD to this day. :(

Geoff!

I wanna drown my sorrows with you :crying:

My sister-in-law works at a pawn shop in Florida. Trying to explain to either my wife or my S.I.L. that I'm looking for metal releases. It's like speaking chinese to a martian. :doh:

So it was there you lost your balls! :lol: That explains a thing or two....

So it was there you lost your balls! :lol: That explains a thing or two....

Didn't lose them, mate. They just got shredded, bruised and battered. But steel has quite a way of healing itself.