Guns 'N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

T-BONE

• My Little Pony
if nothing else, you'd pretty much HAVE to own the most famous album in rock history!!

Um... no I don't. :lol:

The most famous album in rock History? :screwy:

Change that to - 'It's Going To Be The Most Famous Letdown & Non Event' In rock history. ;)

That's what I'm thinking too mate :whistle:

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see it being that memorable. I find myself continuously forgetting about this. Six months after its release, no one will be talking about it. Why? Because there will be too many great releases to discuss.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an Axl-obsessed guy on the Rock Music message board at IMDB who's counting down the days till this release. He sez he's going to camp out at his local Best Buy the night before so he can be the first one to buy a copy when they open in the morning. Seriously!! :huhsign:

:loser:

• 4 weeks later...

The free single you get for pre-ordering the cd has already leaked and is the "official" version of the song Chinese Democracy and it's nothing short of awesome! I don't give a shit what anybody says, I'll have this cd when it's released. The single is just awesome!

The free single you get for pre-ordering the cd has already leaked and is the "official" version of the song Chinese Democracy and it's nothing short of awesome! I don't give a shit what anybody says, I'll have this cd when it's released. The single is just awesome!

same here, im buying it on both CD and Vinyl if i can afford it...

so is the final version much different to leaked versions?

There's an Axl-obsessed guy on the Rock Music message board at IMDB who's counting down the days till this release. He sez he's going to camp out at his local Best Buy the night before so he can be the first one to buy a copy when they open in the morning. Seriously!! :huhsign:

:lame:

Yea, that pretty much says it all..... :whistle:

so is the final version much different to leaked versions?

Light years different...

Quick summation - first half of the album isnt bad actually....'Better' is an OK start, 'Chinese Democracy' is a very good song, as is IRS.

Undecided on 'Madagascar', but 'Rhiad.....' is pretty poor.

'This I Love' and 'The Blues' are excellent and my fav 2 tunes.

Then things take a turn for the worse.

The last 3 songs are all completely shit and almost unlistenable IMO.

Hey ho.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm not sure what to say about it. It's not a great album, that's for sure. But it's really not that bad. None of these songs will ever be dear to me and it is a collection of okay songs and nothing more... but for okay songs, they're pretty decent.

One fact of life I know is that if this didn't have the G N'R name on it I don't think the vast majority of folk here would take any notice, but that's another story. It's interesting, I'll give it that. Is it good? No, not really, imo, but it's interesting. Not a bad listen at all. I might even spin it a few more times, so it's doing better than some of the trash I've heard this year.

Still spinning this in my car this morning and something is obvious.

This was a great CD to have in my car over the weekend - casually driving to the beach or to the shops - short stints here and there, a few songs per drive. But on the way to work this morning, I just wanted a good solid 40min listen that'd kick my ass. That is not this CD.

I don't know, there's still something I almost like about this G N'R album. As I keep saying, it's far from great but I would definitely listen to this over the likes of Valentine - 'Soul Salvation', Shadowman, Overland and those really tired bored sounding AOR albums that get released these day. Don't know how much that says, but I kind of appreciate what's going on on this CD much more than uninspired drivel.

This was a great CD to have in my car over the weekend - casually driving to the beach or to the shops - short stints here and there, a few songs per drive. But on the way to work this morning, I just wanted a good solid 40min listen that'd kick my ass. That is not this CD.

I don't know, there's still something I almost like about this G N'R album. As I keep saying, it's far from great but I would definitely listen to this over the likes of Valentine - 'Soul Salvation', Shadowman, Overland and those really tired bored sounding AOR albums that get released these day. Don't know how much that says, but I kind of appreciate what's going on on this CD much more than uninspired drivel.

Keep listening....the first few spins for me were good...after that I decided this was a great album. I have played it nonstop for two weeks straight.

Keep listening....the first few spins for me were good...after that I decided this was a great album. I have played it nonstop for two weeks straight.

Wow, we actually agree on this one, I think it may be a classic, I really do. Fantastic stuff, very dynamic, and very passionate, at least to my ears. :)

Wow, we actually agree on this one, I think it may be a classic, I really do. Fantastic stuff, very dynamic, and very passionate, at least to my ears. :)

Why is that shocking bro :) Yes, I agree...it will be a classic in my house anyway ;)

Wow mateys, 'classic' is a huge call, but it's... different. :)

Admittedly it's too early for me to tell what the staying power will be overall, but I would not hesitate to say it is by far one of the most diverse and interesting albums to be released this year. :)

Admittedly it's too early for me to tell what the staying power will be overall, but I would not hesitate to say it is by far one of the most diverse and interesting albums to be released this year. :)

I'll agree with the interesting and diverse comment but I haven't got to the point of calling it classic yet.

I do think it's very good, but just with it was called Axl Rose instead of GNR.

And as Pete said it's also to early for me to tell what kind of staying power it's gonna have.

I'll agree with the interesting and diverse comment but I haven't got to the point of calling it classic yet.

And as Pete said it's also to early for me to tell what kind of staying power it's gonna have.

Before you even ask, yes I know how fucking lazy I am... ;)

Here's a post I put on another board asking whether people liked the old Guns or the new... just figured I'd throw it out there 'cause that's just how I am. Techinically I totally agree with your comment about calling it "Axl Rose" as opposed to G'n'R but with the marketing power of the G'n'R name, I can say for sure I would have done the same thing as he did! :devil:

I like 'em both, Axl's songwriting fuels the fire of both entities IMO. The styles of the individual musicians adds a different flavor on the newer stuff, but to me you've still got Axl at the heart of it, maybe even more so since he's got a lot more control with the new project.

If anything, Chinese Democracy continues the creative progression from Use Your Illusion. Complex arrangements, sweeping almost soundtrack style instrumental melodies. The main thing that I don't see in the new stuff is the raw, bluesy style of Slash and the rest of the old crew (who other than Slash and Duff, changed a couple times between Appetite and Illusion and beyond).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Appetite, and Use Your Illusion was very good, but would have been better distilled down into one album as opposed to the filler laden two disc extravaganza. Lies was okay, and Spaghetti Incident was a fucking cover album so IMHO we're only looking at two "real" releases by the band, and it had changed significantly between the two. Not sure why there's so much hating with the new stuff. It's got a few modern bells and whistles here and there, but underneath is 14 ambitious Axl Rose songs, they sure as hell aren't modern/alternative sounding, if anything maybe a bit TOO ambitious.

Overall I think it's by far one of the most interesting albums to come out this year and has the potential of becoming a classic. That being said, Appetite already is a classic and I don't think that will change anytime soon. Bottom line, everyone's got the right to an opinion, but only my opinion is actually right...

...kidding, either you like it or you don't, but having listened to the album numerous times I can say without a doubt that Axl put his heart and soul into this. It's up to you whether you like it or not. :-)

Before you even ask, yes I know how fucking lazy I am... ;)

Here's a post I put on another board asking whether people liked the old Guns or the new... just figured I'd throw it out there 'cause that's just how I am. Techinically I totally agree with your comment about calling it "Axl Rose" as opposed to G'n'R but with the marketing power of the G'n'R name, I can say for sure I would have done the same thing as he did! :devil:

I like 'em both, Axl's songwriting fuels the fire of both entities IMO. The styles of the individual musicians adds a different flavor on the newer stuff, but to me you've still got Axl at the heart of it, maybe even more so since he's got a lot more control with the new project.

If anything, Chinese Democracy continues the creative progression from Use Your Illusion. Complex arrangements, sweeping almost soundtrack style instrumental melodies. The main thing that I don't see in the new stuff is the raw, bluesy style of Slash and the rest of the old crew (who other than Slash and Duff, changed a couple times between Appetite and Illusion and beyond).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Appetite, and Use Your Illusion was very good, but would have been better distilled down into one album as opposed to the filler laden two disc extravaganza. Lies was okay, and Spaghetti Incident was a fucking cover album so IMHO we're only looking at two "real" releases by the band, and it had changed significantly between the two. Not sure why there's so much hating with the new stuff. It's got a few modern bells and whistles here and there, but underneath is 14 ambitious Axl Rose songs, they sure as hell aren't modern/alternative sounding, if anything maybe a bit TOO ambitious.

Overall I think it's by far one of the most interesting albums to come out this year and has the potential of becoming a classic. That being said, Appetite already is a classic and I don't think that will change anytime soon. Bottom line, everyone's got the right to an opinion, but only my opinion is actually right...

...kidding, either you like it or you don't, but having listened to the album numerous times I can say without a doubt that Axl put his heart and soul into this. It's up to you whether you like it or not. :-)

I agree with most of that statement. :drink:

Although I liked almost every song on Illusions besides the dreadful "My World".

And I love the "Lies" release even though it is an EP.

So you fequent other message boards besides this one? Shame on you. :lol: