Who is your favorite guitarist?

For in their prime, EVH, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini.

• My Little Pony

Well, let me be the first to give Pete Lesperance some shine! I have a few favourites, but I'm currently loving his playing. Could be Canada's greatest, and easily one of the most underrated. Ever. 

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 11:00 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Well, let me be the first to give Pete Lesperance some shine! I have a few favourites, but I'm currently loving his playing. Could be Canada's greatest, and easily one of the most underrated. Ever. 

If we're talking about Canada's greatest and most underrated guitarist, I would go to a certain Ron Horton from the band Surface Tension (they are listed here in heavy harmonies). A total virtuoso.

That's a hard one...

Slash

Dimebag

Jerry Cantrell

Andy Taylor

Paul Gilbert

...many many others

• 2 months later...

Johnny Hiland is a monster player, Country style but he can do most styles.

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2008 at 5:02 PM, edwithmj said:

Joey Allen from Warrant. ALWAYS comes out with great solos. Always

Did he really played the solos in their debut? I read this story from a hair metal book (I think it's The Big Book of Hair Metal) that a studio bum who doesn't have any ego at all was paid to play all the solos and even taught Joey and Erik how to do them. Though I am not that sure - maybe just a rumour.

Anyway, to answer the question, I can never name just one guitarist for my favorite.

Nuno, Vito, Harry Cody, Randy, Alex Skolnick, Akira Takasaki, George Lynch, Steve Lynch, Vai and Rex Carroll

8 hours ago, GeorgeRendon said:

Did he really played the solos in their debut? I read this story from a hair metal book (I think it's The Big Book of Hair Metal) that a studio bum who doesn't have any ego at all was paid to play all the solos and even taught Joey and Erik how to do them. Though I am not that sure - maybe just a rumour.

Anyway, to answer the question, I can never name just one guitarist for my favorite.

Nuno, Vito, Harry Cody, Randy, Alex Skolnick, Akira Takasaki, George Lynch, Steve Lynch, Vai and Rex Carroll

If that "studio bum" you refer to is Mike Slamer, I believe that is the story as it is. 

But I believe Joey Allen played the solos on 'Cherry Pie' and 'Dog Eat Dog' which are arguably far, far better than the solos on the debut. :) As amazing as Mike Slamer is... 

Hard to pick just one, because I never really got to a point where I worshipped one.

For me it's all about technical ability, writing and uniqueness.

Vito Bratta was completely unique to the point that he stood right out.
Slash wrote his own guitar stuff and some riffs are amazing, unlike someone like Ace where I'm sure Paul wrote a lot of his stuff
Eddie Van Halen was innovative and technically amazing.

Eddie Van Halen is my fave, with George Lynch being a damn close second. Dave Meniketti is another fave. 

Top 3
EVH
George Lynch
Warren De Martini

After going through 5 pages of your favorites axe slinger, I came across a slinger that hasn't been mention. Mr Steve Lynch of Autograph

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Doggy said:

After going through 5 pages of your favorites axe slinger, I came across a slinger that hasn't been mention. Mr Steve Lynch of Autograph

He was in my list. I just love his playing. Not the fastest BUT really tasteful.

Some thoughts on Shrapnel shredders... I didn't name anyone from Shrapnel because I don't hear from them what I wanted to hear from a guitarist. I really cannot describe it but I hear it from Vito Bratta, Nuno Bettencourt, Harry Cody, Alex Skolnick.... I believe that this extra special factor is not something you get from practice. Like, if Vito practiced 8 hours a day in his formative years, Andy James or Vinnie Moore practiced 9 hours but still didn't have what Vito has. Like Elliot Easton of The Cars, Paul Gilbert or even Warren DeMartini can play him under the table BUT still has that X-Factor in a guitarist that I wanted to hear.

But if I would name one Shrapnel guitarist that really left my jaw hanging, it would be Tony MacAlpine.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There are so many so I'll probably forget a lot of them, but the ones that spring to mind right away are: 

Bobby Barth

STEVE STEVENS

Karl Groom

Luke Morley

Slash

Joel Hoekstra

Reb Beach

Doug Aldrich

Dave Meniketti

I'll fill in more when they come to mind. 

Edited by Mafisen

On 1/30/2019 at 9:55 AM, Geoff said:

If that "studio bum" you refer to is Mike Slamer, I believe that is the story as it is. 

But I believe Joey Allen played the solos on 'Cherry Pie' and 'Dog Eat Dog' which are arguably far, far better than the solos on the debut. :) As amazing as Mike Slamer is... 

Well all except the solo to the song Cherry Pie which was played by a certain Mr DeVille.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:55 AM, Geoff said:

Slamer did do most of the session work for DRFSR but Joey Allen also brought in his former guitar teacher to play on it as well and I believe he ripped a few solos that were used on it. Like Geoff, I prefer Allen's own work on the follow up albums.