NFL 08 (the "no Brady season")

66 mustang

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit! Brady goes down and the ENTIRE team falls apart.

Washington's starting to look VERY real. (NFC East still looks tough. Washington, NY, and Dallas. And if Philly didn't constantly have injuries, hmm. Just Wow!)

The Dolphins beat the Chargers. (WTF is up with San Diego?)

Atlanta beats GB. Wow, the once mighty Pack is slipping fast!

AND...... Houston nearly taking out Indy. I suppose that's the least surprising thing, but Indy just can't get on track, it seems.

Football, it seems, is a parody of itself because of its parity. I'm glad I'm not betting pools (and just doing pick'em/fantasy stuff) because I'd be losing money hand over fist.

I can tell you what is up with the Chargers. It is the head coach. He isn't head coaching material. great cordinator but not HC

I totally agree but with that talent I still think they're gonna win the division(even though I'm a Bronco fan) and probably have a chance at winning the conference. They've gotten off to a horrible start as they did last year but their first two games they had a chance at winning(Denver and Carolina). Their achilles heel is gonna be defense with them missing Merriman and their secondary doesn't seem to be near as good as what it was last year. But their Offense even without LT at times seems to be very strong with Rivers(even though I hate him) really becoming an exceptional QB. If this team were healthy and they had a great head coach this team would probably be a 14 to 15 win team.

Go#damn Broncos. F@#king turnovers every f#@king week.

They dominate the Jags for the first 1 1/2 quarters and still find themselves behind.

Two lost fumbles, including one lost by Marshall on the Jags 8 yard line, and a pic.

It's bad enought they can't tackle anyone and can't get a decent pass rush on any opposing QB but when their Offense gives the ball away they have no hope of winning.

On an unrelated note did anyone else see that awesome ending of the Bears/Falcons game?

Wow and wow. First Elam shanks a chip shot, then Orton takes the Cubs, I mean the Bears, down for a td score to take the lead only to see Matt Ryan complete a long sideline pass in 5 seconds and Elam goes from Goat to Hero with the game winning Field Goal.

They dominate the Jags for the first 1 1/2 quarters and still find themselves behind.

Two lost fumbles, including one lost by Marshall on the Jags 8 yard line, and a pic.

It's bad enought they can't tackle anyone and can't get a decent pass rush on any opposing QB but when their Offense gives the ball away they have no hope of winning.

On an unrelated note did anyone else see that awesome ending of the Bears/Falcons game?

Wow and wow. First Elam shanks a chip shot, then Orton takes the Cubs, I mean the Bears, down for a td score to take the lead only to see Matt Ryan complete a long sideline pass in 5 seconds and Elam goes from Goat to Hero with the game winning Field Goal.

Didn't see it. But I do know I took Elam out and put Kasay in. So, in effect (not counting yardage points), I took a 5 field goal, 1 XP point guy out and put in a 1 FG guy.

Yay genius GM! :crying:

This Dallas/Arizona game certainly isn't turning out how I expected either! (Then again, not much football is this year.)

Didn't see it. But I do know I took Elam out and put Kasay in. So, in effect (not counting yardage points), I took a 5 field goal, 1 XP point guy out and put in a 1 FG guy.

Yay genius GM! :crying:

This Dallas/Arizona game certainly isn't turning out how I expected either! (Then again, not much football is this year.)

Yeah taking Elam out wasn't a good decision at all but either was about half of the players I drafted. :doh:

I picked Arizona in that game(I think) and I hate the 'Boys so go Cards go.

Back to the Bronco game they got fucked on a call when they stopped the Jags on 3 and 17 and got called on a illegal contact downfield where the replay showed that the contact was intitated by the offensive player. That gave the Jags a first down and yeah you guessed it they then scored on the drive and they now lead by one touchdown. It's like the football Gods have done their best to make things even for that bad call that went their way against the Chargers.

Edit:

And one more phantom bullshit call from the officials. The refs call a pass interference call against the Broncos when replays show over and over that the call was a phantom call. Now it's gonna be interesting to see if the media is going to give any coverage to how the Bronco's got fucked on two calls like they did when the Chargers got fucked in Denver in week 2.

Fuck the NFL and their horrilbe fucking refs.

Holy Shit...anybody else watching what the Brownies are doing to the Giants!!!

Holy Shit doesn't begin to describe it!

I mean, I should be happy. REAL happy. (However, it might just fuck up my one win in fantasy this week and, knowing the Browns, they won't use it to turn their season around. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but history's not on their side. Particularly recent history.)

Either way, it's just NUTS!

looks like Dallas might be done for. QB out 4 weeks. RB out, P out "don't call me Pac-man" suspended, life couldn't be much better

Yeah but they just gave the farm away(3 draft picks :blink: ) to the Lions for Roy Williams.

I'm a little suprised that they would give up so much for a wide out when they need help in the secondary.

great game for the dawg pound on monday!! then i heard home----i mean romo is out 4 weeks and yes...it was a beautiful night indeed. still love my packers, but they are losing touch the last few games. love to see brett the jet in the ugly old throwback unie's too. and would love to see the bills do something this year now that they have a chance with opie brady out for the year at the pats. cowboys and pats both in a hurting spot makes for an even playing field for the rest of the teams out there. i know its sad to have to use injuries as an excuse to be able to beat the 2 teams...but it is what it is, and these other teams out there better shape up and realize this may be there 1 chance this year to make a name for themselves.

WTF is going on here?

Dallas is getting killed by the Rams, NO is getting annihilated by Carolina, and I can't see the Bears/Vikes tilt. That one looks CLASSIC!

Hope the Browns can keep this winning thing going. Looking forward to this game.

(Oh, and then looking forward to a Tampa Bay win tonight. If the Red Sox come back again, I'm calling BS. Not to mention I can't fucking stand them. They've overtaken the Yanks as my most-hated team. Mostly because of the city from which they come, but the fact that I hate many of their players as well.)

Wow! What a day! (With a game left to go tonight and one tomorrow.)

The Carolina and St. Louis upsets. Baltimore taking out Miami. Both Washington and Cleveland looking bad. Indy choking against the Pack.

Who knows what will happen in the last 2 games. But, absolutely crazy week, yet again. Very little week-to-week consistency. Certainly not season-long (other than Tennessee).

Anyone revamping picks for the Super Bowl right now? :lol:

(Or is there STILL time for some teams to turn it around, get on a roll, and head into the playoffs?)

Wow! What a day! (With a game left to go tonight and one tomorrow.)

The Carolina and St. Louis upsets. Baltimore taking out Miami. Both Washington and Cleveland looking bad. Indy choking against the Pack.

Who knows what will happen in the last 2 games. But, absolutely crazy week, yet again. Very little week-to-week consistency. Certainly not season-long (other than Tennessee).

Anyone revamping picks for the Super Bowl right now? :lol:

(Or is there STILL time for some teams to turn it around, get on a roll, and head into the playoffs?)

Yup another crazy week in the NFL and I don't have a clue who's gonna win the Super Bowl or even be in the playoffs at this point. You didn't even mention the Buffalo over San Diego game, that took me by suprise.

I guess those Bills are for real. Tennesse just keeps on rolling. You can't say enough about a good running game and awesome defense. Take that with Collins at QB who unlike Vince Young hasn't been turning the ball over, and the Titans look like they could go far this year.

How in the hell does Marvin Lewis keep his job?

And WHY, at this point? (I mean, doesn't it have to be just plain demoralizing to be THIS horrible? It's not like they're going to turn it around any time in the near future. At least they look like they'll grab the number 1 or 2 pick in next year's draft. Maybe THAT will finally be the piece of the puzzle for which they've been searching. :crazy:)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there ANYONE else out there who applauds Mike Singletary's coaching efforts as head coach of the San Fransisco 49ers?

I didn't watch the game in question last week (heck, I can't tell you the last 49ers game I have seen), however, in just the cursory coverage of the incident(s) that I've seen, I think everyone who's making a big deal out of this need to butt the hell out.

I don't know Vernon Davis or his play(other than he wasn't a great fantasy producer when I drafted him, either his rookie year or maybe it was his 2nd year). I know he was highly drafted. I know he had a lot of expectations. I don't know how well he's lived up to them week-to-week. All I know is that Mike Singletary was an incredible force on the football field. I don't know what his legacy as a head coach will end up being. It just seems that Singletary is coaching like he was coached (both in the pros and probably before that). We all know Ditka's coaching style, particularly with the Bears. Singletary is just continuing that. I don't know if that was a rash decision sending Davis to the locker room, and I have no idea if Davis has exhibited selfish tendencies in the past, but if Singletary is the coach and sticks by his decision, then I'm going with the coach.

In general, the thing that made people SO passionate about football in the past was that they could often trust players. In this day of high salaries, lots of players have proven that they're out for themselves first and then if the team can do well alongside that, all the better. I know that might be an unfair generalization, but sadly, it's true. I certainly don't have the passion for pro football like I used to. And while part of that can be attributed to my Browns being taken away for a few years and then returning with one general (10-year) thud, or Barry Sanders' too-soon retirement. But, I think part of it has to do with the general atmosphere of spoiled pro athletes and the general lack of discipline. So, until Singletary comes out and apologizes and says he was in the wrong (and, Heaven forbid that happens, it'll be because of pressure from above, I believe, to keep his job and be forced to do so), I'm sticking with coach.

(As far as the "pants down" thing, these are all grown men. They've been through college already. They've been exposed to far worse. Many of them have LIVED things a million times worse. In the heat of the moment, his passion for his message led Coach Singletary to make that decision. Get over it!)

And, as I watched the abysmal CBS pre-game show, I couldn't have wanted to beat the shit out of Shannon Sharpe more. I've never been a fan of the guy in the studio, but never less than today. And I was kinda shocked to hear Cowher echo the same negative sentiment, regardless of how much less acerbic his comments were than Sharpe's. (Oh, and if James Brown can't stop pronouncing Sharpe's first name without that gay Cajun/French/whatever accent, he needs to be dragged out to the alley behind the studio and have his jaw broken. It's just annoying! Which is sad, because on Fox, I always thought Brown was the only redeeming quality.)

• 2 weeks later...

Big win today by the Broncos in Atlanta, who were undefeated at home going in.

The Rush Defense played their best game of the season even though Turner did get 2 tds, they held him to around 3 yards a carry.

The Broncos also had Hillis, a rookie fullback, start at Running back and had Tautm Bell back there after just sigining him off the street as he had been working at a cellular store in Denver. The also played Pope, a guy they just signed off of the practice squad get a few carries as well.

I think the Broncos were also missing 4 starters on Defense and their Middle Linebacker also started at Full back and played special teams. It's a wonder this team is 6-4 and not 0-10.

I new there was something bad about the Titans being 10-0...................................

FUCKING Mercury Morris being all over the TV again.Why do they insist on giving this jerk-off any face time at all.This fuck needs to go away!!!

What can he say about this Titan team? :unsure:

If anything they're the spitting image of that undefeated Dolphin team with a great defense and a great running game. :tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I'm suprised how well Denver played at the Jets today.

Again with Peyton Hillis having a big day running the ball and minus one stupid pass Cutler played great as well and would even had better numbers if his receivers wouldn't drop so many passes.

Also can't believe how the Colts had to count on a fumble recovery for a TD to beat the Browns.

And poor Derek Anderson. He gets his job back when Quinn gets hurt and now he might be out for the season.

I wonder if Cleveland will give Tim Couch a call? :whistle:

Gotta hand it to the Chiefs going out to Oakland, who has been playing well as of late, and picking up a W.

I kind of have a feeling the Chiefs are going to beat Denver next since Denver has troulbe beating teams with losing records. Also Thigpin has been a pleasant suprise and has KC playing pretty well even though their record don't show it.

Is anyone else shocked that the Dolphins are 7-5 ?

I mean this team was 1-15 last year. No one is talking how Pennington's ability to manage the game and not turn the ball over has been so important to this team.

I fee sad for Aaron Rodgers. For a first year starter he's had a great season and has had to throw the ball a ton due to a horrilbe defense. This team is not with a losing record and I'm sure he'll get most of the blame since he's the QB but damn he don't play defense and he's not the running back.

The 49ers over the Bills. Will Mike Singletary have this job next year?

What happened to the Bills? They looked like a very good team early in the season.

Joe Flacco is good, plain and simple and has the Ravens playing great.

Isn't it strange that Coach Billick was supposed to be an offensive genius but now that he's gone they are actually scoring points with a rookie QB.

the Dolphins do not surprise me at all. They lost half their games by less than a TD last year. if you eliminate the stupid mistakes they were a solid team last year and it is showing this year. The big suprise for me are the Atlanta Falcons. Rookie QB that is playing the game not managing the game. took a team that was awful last year and is winning.

Wow I'm suprised how well Denver played at the Jets today.

Again with Peyton Hillis having a big day running the ball and minus one stupid pass Cutler played great as well and would even had better numbers if his receivers wouldn't drop so many passes.

Also can't believe how the Colts had to count on a fumble recovery for a TD to beat the Browns.

And poor Derek Anderson. He gets his job back when Quinn gets hurt and now he might be out for the season.

I wonder if Cleveland will give Tim Couch a call? :whistle:

Gotta hand it to the Chiefs going out to Oakland, who has been playing well as of late, and picking up a W.

I kind of have a feeling the Chiefs are going to beat Denver next since Denver has troulbe beating teams with losing records. Also Thigpin has been a pleasant suprise and has KC playing pretty well even though their record don't show it.

Is anyone else shocked that the Dolphins are 7-5 ?

I mean this team was 1-15 last year. No one is talking how Pennington's ability to manage the game and not turn the ball over has been so important to this team.

I fee sad for Aaron Rodgers. For a first year starter he's had a great season and has had to throw the ball a ton due to a horrilbe defense. This team is not with a losing record and I'm sure he'll get most of the blame since he's the QB but damn he don't play defense and he's not the running back.

The 49ers over the Bills. Will Mike Singletary have this job next year?

What happened to the Bills? They looked like a very good team early in the season.

Joe Flacco is good, plain and simple and has the Ravens playing great.

Isn't it strange that Coach Billick was supposed to be an offensive genius but now that he's gone they are actually scoring points with a rookie QB.

I also need to add what is wrong with the Chargers?

Minus Shawn Marrion and and a backup RB from last season but for some reason they suck.

Turner has turned them into a pass happy team, and Rivers has had a great year, but they can't run the ball anymore at all. LT is only averaging 3.7 yards per carry. He's only 29 and should have a couple of more years left in him but I wonder if all those carries he got a few years ago have done him in like it did to Jamal Lewis and Shawn Alexander.