Joel Ellis accuses Jon Bon Jovi of stealing his song!

glam_junkie

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the question is, and im not just saying this because its Bon Jovi, how many people fell for this?

i mean, i havnet heard this original demo that was promised yet, have you?

Rumor has it the song will be heard when the Merri Hoax demos get officially released.

merri hoax demos should come out hoepfully soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this over at Sleazeroxx:

BON JOVI BEING SUED $400 BILLION FOR PLAGIARISM:

October 11, 2008

Jon Bon Jovi is being sued for 400 bil -- yes, billion bucks by a Boston musician who says Jovi allegedly borrowed lyrics from his Boston Red Sox anthem entitled, "(Man I Really) Love This Team."

Samuel Bartley Steele, the front man for a band calling themselves "The Chelsea City Council", believes Bon Jovi heard his song while campaigning in Boston for John Kerry in '04, then used the lyrics in his own song entitled, "I Love This Town."

Regardless of the result -- Steele is really livin' on a prayer if he thinks he's going to get that amount of cash.

A Bon Jovi spokesperson says they haven't seen the lawsuit yet.

Full details of the lawsuit can be read at http://www.myspace.com/chelseacitycouncil

Saw this over at Sleazeroxx:

BON JOVI BEING SUED $400 BILLION FOR PLAGIARISM:

October 11, 2008

Jon Bon Jovi is being sued for 400 bil -- yes, billion bucks by a Boston musician who says Jovi allegedly borrowed lyrics from his Boston Red Sox anthem entitled, "(Man I Really) Love This Team."

Samuel Bartley Steele, the front man for a band calling themselves "The Chelsea City Council", believes Bon Jovi heard his song while campaigning in Boston for John Kerry in '04, then used the lyrics in his own song entitled, "I Love This Town."

Regardless of the result -- Steele is really livin' on a prayer if he thinks he's going to get that amount of cash.

A Bon Jovi spokesperson says they haven't seen the lawsuit yet.

Full details of the lawsuit can be read at http://www.myspace.com/chelseacitycouncil

i actually thought this wasa joke when i read it!!

• 1 year later...

Joel said that "I've always felt that people should know about this and I still have the original demo. If anyone in the world wants to hear it I'll be happy to put an Mpeg up on my website so they can hear it too", can anyone tell me the website of Joel Ellis i want to hear the original demo if it is true

Joel said that "I've always felt that people should know about this and I still have the original demo. If anyone in the world wants to hear it I'll be happy to put an Mpeg up on my website so they can hear it too", can anyone tell me the website of Joel Ellis i want to hear the original demo if it is true

• 1 year later...

Well he also sent a letter to president obama about Bon Jovi stealing his song. He seems like a nut to me but if the track surfaces I'll be proven wrong (for the first time ever in my life).

Here's a link for thePDF version of the letter he sent to obama...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/IPEC/frn_comments/SteeleBart.pdf

Well he also sent a letter to president obama about Bon Jovi stealing his song. He seems like a nut to me but if the track surfaces I'll be proven wrong (for the first time ever in my life).

Here's a link for thePDF version of the letter he sent to obama...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/IPEC/frn_comments/SteeleBart.pdf

this isn't Joel Ellis thouhg, this is the other guys that alleged jovi stole his song.

Or that being a big star he gets accused of it a lot.

Until the facts come out, I reserve judgement on any stories like this.

Remember, it was only a few years ago that some woman accused Rikki Rockett from Poison, or raping her.

People jumped all over the story, calling him scum etc then it turned out he was half way across the other side of the USA at the time.

I agree on waiting to get the facts, but now it is a few different people saying this about him. Strange!

Funny thing is... Nobody seems to be accusing him of stealing anything he has put out since 1992. :bananamac:

I'm guessing nothing after that was worth claiming...? :whistle:

OR..

He stopped stealing back then and hasn't written and recorded a good song since...? :whistle:

:yikes:

I agree on waiting to get the facts, but now it is a few different people saying this about him. Strange!

Yeah but thats my point. The more famous you are, the more people will think they can try it on, especially after they see one person doing it.

Lets face it, if a band has never been that successful, who is going to try to claim they stole their songs?

I remember hearing something about John Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora stealing songs and also the theme for the blaze of glory album from Mariah, even going so far as joking and laughing about stealing songs from bands that submitted songs to them, hoping for help, and instead got screwed....seems like Sam told me that a while back....maybe he can refresh my memory on it...but to me where there is smoke, there is usually fire...one accustation, can be dismissed, but when you get two, and three, and four from different musicians, regarding different songs, albums, years...etc...starts to form a trend....and in my mind, who knows what songs have been stolen, but without the money to go up against them, people just don't pursue it....kind of like Ben Roethlisburger of the steelers...one chick screams rape, then two...etc...things start to stink...lol...

Everytime I see JBJ doing anything, I am reminded of all the bands that probably contributed to his success, by trusting him with songs then getting ripped off...to me every big hit he had is subject to doubt....

I think bon jovi has also been accused of stealing a track from Loverboy

Jon should try stealing his balls back. His wife put them on the shelf back in about 1993. She's let him play with them a few times over the years, and that's the only reason songs like IT'S MY LIFE and WE WEREN'T BORN TO FOLLOW were released.

Poor bastard!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I still believe in the 'innocent until proven guilty' philosophy...and I haven't seen any proof yet... x

Fair enough, but there's also the saying, "no smoke without fire", which I wonder might be appropriate here? There do seem to be far more accusations against JBJ than any other similarly-successful artists.

Well I still believe in the 'innocent until proven guilty' philosophy...and I haven't seen any proof yet... x

Fair enough, but there's also the saying, "no smoke without fire", which I wonder might be appropriate here? There do seem to be far more accusations against JBJ than any other similarly-successful artists.

But that could be because so few other similarly successful artists probably (co-)wrote all their own songs? ;)

It could also be a case of one person trying their luck and other people seeing it, and trying to do the same, regardless of any validity. If one person is suing, regardless of the legitimacy of their case, then people would obviously take more notice of any other cases that popped up, and would probably have been dismissed straight away.

As I think I said earlier, the reason I will give benefit of the doubt (and dont subscribe to the no smoke without fire theory) is that anyone can make shit up. The Rikki Rockett case is a perfect example of that. There was lots of smoke, and certainly no fire in that case (although I did hear one of his hairspray cans did explode around that time).

Its obviously very easy to have any doubt when its a released song thats being ripped off (see Huey Lewis vs Ray Parker Jr), but when its unreleased tracks that are not registered anywhere, well the guy doing the suing could have written it last week for all anyone knows, and of course they can get people to go along with the scam.

I am not saying any is lying when they say they have been ripped off, but I'm not about to start taking their word as gospel either.

If everyone believed I was guilty of some of the things I have been falsely accused of over the years, I would probably be six feet under by now.

I am not saying any is lying when they say they have been ripped off, but I'm not about to start taking their word as gospel either.

If everyone believed I was guilty of some of the things I have been falsely accused of over the years, I would probably be six feet under by now.

Same...and i'm only 20! I don't subscribe to the 'no smoke without fire' because i've seen it happen on many occasions...it's not hard to point the finger at a hugely succesful (and wealthy) artist or band without proof to back up your claims....now if he had proof thatd be a different story, for all we know he's spent the last 2 years trying to get 'his' version of the song to sound like it was recorded in the basement on an 8-track 25 years ago for authenticty's sake :P

If you ask me, I think it's just bitterness/jealousy... x

Its obviously very easy to have any doubt when its a released song thats being ripped off (see Huey Lewis vs Ray Parker Jr)

Ironically I'm lsitening to that song right now, been listening to HL&TN for the last hour xD

Doesn't sound that much like Ghostbusters to be plagiarism tho :s x

Take my advice..don't listen to Bon Jovi.....therefore no royalties need to be paid and you'll grow up a better balanced individual ("heeeee heeee I'm a bad chap!)

Its obviously very easy to have any doubt when its a released song thats being ripped off (see Huey Lewis vs Ray Parker Jr)

Ironically I'm lsitening to that song right now, been listening to HL&TN for the last hour xD

Doesn't sound that much like Ghostbusters to be plagiarism tho :s x

You need to get your ears checked. The main riff is almost identical, and thats why the case went in the favour or Mr Lewis.

If it sounded nothing like it, do you think that he would have won the case?