Anberlin

Glen

I've been at it again, spinning their discography as I've decided to see the band again tomorrow night. I blame the abundance of new music and my stupid need to hear it all for the fact that I don't appreciate CDs like all of these as much as they deserve to be appreciated (which should be up with my favourite 80's releases).

With regard to 'New Surrender', I've never seen Anberlin as a band that even writes ballads, let alone good ones. But seriously, do good is 'Retrace' and especially, 'Breathe'? These songs are splendid! 'Breaking' took a while to grow on me, but now it's one of my favourite Anberlin songs. 'Disappear' is another gem and as I noted elsewhere, 'The Resistance' is as good a live song as I've ever heard.

'Never Take Friendship Personal' is commonly and rightly so acknowledged as pure brilliance and it's even better with repeated spins, but I have to give my full appreciation to the magnificent debut, which is completely fill-free and an excellent disc. Possibly the best debut by a modern band I can think of. And the slowest grower, 'Cities', as noted, has completely grown on me too. Listening too 'Niave Orleans' which is still as good as anything they have ever recorded. :wub:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been at it again, spinning their discography as I've decided to see the band again tomorrow night. I blame the abundance of new music and my stupid need to hear it all for the fact that I don't appreciate CDs like all of these as much as they deserve to be appreciated (which should be up with my favourite 80's releases).

Mate that is the truest thing youve said on this board for a long long time.

It always amazes me how many mini reviews you post up.....sometimes immediately after reviewing an awesome album such as 'New Surrender'....which means (to me) you must be listening to that album just once or twice and putting it aside?? IMO you can never truly grow to love an album in that way.

I reckon ive spun the Anberlin newie about 30 times since I bought it...........a completely excellent modern rock album in every way.......except the last song........but even that grows on you :tumbsup:

You should just try listening at bands myspace sites instead of trying to hear EVERY single release in full.....I know its an addiction, but I do this and I reckon that I am 90% right on the ones I like and the ones I dont (based on yr mini reviews)......and I have loads of time to really listen to those gems.

:drink:

You should just try listening at bands myspace sites instead of trying to hear EVERY single release in full.....I know its an addiction, but I do this and I reckon that I am 90% right on the ones I like and the ones I dont (based on yr mini reviews)......and I have loads of time to really listen to those gems.

:drink:

Yeah, the way I listen to new music varies. Sometimes I have all the time in the world to listen to new/current albums repeatedly and old favourites as well, and then there are times like now - where I have about 30 downloads (of all old out-of-print 80's hard rock discs) and 15-20 new CDs from trades, with another 50 coming in. So I will be snowed under for months to come. And this does happen from time to time.

As for listening to EVERY CD in full, I also surf the net to find out what I will and will not like and only try full albums from bands I honestly think I might like. Or the random one I am just interested in for interest's sake.

I didn't immediately shelve the Anberlin one, but I do admit I did not spin it enough last year. Probably only a dozen times or so. I think my main issue is I don't always have a lot of patience for "growers". Because if I hear something I love I will spin the shit out of it - eg. Rockarma - 'Bring It', Cauterize's three discs (which I played daily for months), Yellowcard's 'Lights and sound' (which also got daily play), Gotthard's 'Domino Effect', 'Wig Wamania', A Change of Pace's 'Prepare the masses', Blind Date etc. have all been spun so much I pretty much know every single word.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly how I roll with listening to music because it does vary, but I really have to make more time for spinning a wider variety of my faves and not just, for example, my top 5 of a year. :)

Check out Cathrinparrs,and JaneySeemore's debuts......Medi-eval rocks !!!!!!!!

AnnieofCleves,Caty"O "Aragon-ezzzz and The Notorious Lil' KKaty Howard are mainly Stables (Early Garage),Trance with Lute remixes.AVOID !!!!!!!!!!!!

AnnieofCleves,Caty"O "Aragon-ezzzz and The Notorious Lil' KKaty Howard are mainly Stables (Early Garage),Trance with Lute remixes.AVOID !!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell does this post mean???

Dearie me !!!!!!!!!!!! IRONY,Geoff.........Anberlin sounds like ANNE BOLEYN....Wife oF Henry VIIII :whistle:

Dearie me !!!!!!!!!!!! IRONY,Geoff.........Anberlin sounds like ANNE BOLEYN....Wife oF Henry VIIII :whistle:

Oh, yeah. Of course! How'd I, uh, miss that one? ;)

Wotters - Typical of a person from a country with absolutely no history whatsoever :whistle:

There is no hope,really. :doh:

Wotters - Typical of a person from a country with absolutely no history whatsoever :whistle:

We have a very good sporting history of belting the fu-jesus out of the Poms in cricket very often :whistle::lol:

We have a very good sporting history of belting the fu-jesus out of the Poms in cricket very often :whistle::lol:

Ned Kelly - The only even slightly famous Aussie (and he was mainly Irish), and a man that walked around robbing grannies and assaulting Chinese men called Fook, with a bucket on his head. :lol:

Ned Kelly - The only even slightly famous Aussie (and he was mainly Irish), and a man that walked around robbing grannies and assaulting Chinese men called Fook, with a bucket on his head. :lol:

:rofl2: