Anberlin

Glen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappear - http://www.myspace.com/anberlin

Pretty good.

Yeah not bad, though I doubt I'll pick this one up to be honest. Not convinced they'll make another "Never Take Friendship Personal"....

Yeah I agree - although this sounds pretty descent the hook is nowhere near some songs on various modern releases in 08 - ie Shinedown, SOTY, Simple Plan etc etc

Disappear - http://www.myspace.com/anberlin

Pretty good.

Yeah not bad, though I doubt I'll pick this one up to be honest. Not convinced they'll make another "Never Take Friendship Personal"....

Agreed. NTFP just blew me away, but i think theyre going down now. I spun Cities again yesterday as i hated it first time months ago... and yep, still think its really average. I have no real desire to hear a new album if its in that direction. I also have no desire to see them again as ive seen them 4 times and theyve got worse live each time..

I haven't heard this new song yet, but have to admit I'm still keen to hear what these guys can do. Contrary to a few thoughts above, I still think these guys have potential to really rip shit up for another disc. I just hope it's this one. :)

FYI, if you like Anberlin you should definitely check out a band called Ivoryline - they're identical.

I haven't heard this new song yet, but have to admit I'm still keen to hear what these guys can do. Contrary to a few thoughts above, I still think these guys have potential to really rip shit up for another disc. I just hope it's this one. :)

FYI, if you like Anberlin you should definitely check out a band called Ivoryline - they're identical.

Any more info on this Ivoryline?? What era of Anberlin are they like?

Any more info on this Ivoryline?? What era of Anberlin are they like?

http://www.myspace.com/ivoryline

No era in particular, they just sound a hell of a lot like Anberlin.

This new track was a complete throwaway IMO. Way too much better stuff being put out right now than to have to settle for this.

• 1 month later...

Had a good spin of the new album 'New Surrender' over the weekend. Not bad, guys. The first 2 songs are great - the 2nd song is really marvelous, just taken back a few notches by shitty chorus drums. The next 2 are okay and then when you think they're about to lose it again we get a re-recording of my fave Anberlin song - 'Feel good drag'. Not sure why they re-did this, but it's killer, with a killer new extended solo. From then on we have 4 great tracks in a row. 9 is shit again and then the album finishes out okay. This CD won't blow you away but it's pretty damn good, imo.

Had a good spin of the new album 'New Surrender' over the weekend. Not bad, guys. The first 2 songs are great - the 2nd song is really marvelous, just taken back a few notches by shitty chorus drums. The next 2 are okay and then when you think they're about to lose it again we get a re-recording of my fave Anberlin song - 'Feel good drag'. Not sure why they re-did this, but it's killer, with a killer new extended solo. From then on we have 4 great tracks in a row. 9 is shit again and then the album finishes out okay. This CD won't blow you away but it's pretty damn good, imo.

Bottom line... is it better then Cities?

Yeah, it is. Will need a few more spins to say how much better, though. Not as good as the first two, that's for sure.

Yeah, it is. Will need a few more spins to say how much better, though. Not as good as the first two, that's for sure.

Did you ever get around to hearing the bsides / covers album?

I don't think so... not 100% sure, though. I don't think I did. Did you? Any good?

I don't think so... not 100% sure, though. I don't think I did. Did you? Any good?

nup, i had no desire to hear it!

if stuff wasnt good enough to make Cities... well... that says alot.

PLus ive seen them a few of the covers on it live a few times.. and they were awful!

Ive not quite got through this yet. Up to the re-recording of Feel Good Drag.

1st qu - why re-record this song?? Yeah I know its their best song by a long long way - but this just shows up the first few songs as not being that great.

I'll persevere tho.

1st qu - why re-record this song?? Yeah I know its their best song by a long long way - but this just shows up the first few songs as not being that great.

I'll persevere tho.

I gave it another spin yesterday. 1, 2, 4-8 and 10 are great songs. Which makes for a strong album.

When 'Feel good drag' came on I also thought, 'Are they just re-recording this because it's their only opportunity and making a good song again?' But I was harsh, this will be pretty good after a few spins I reckon.

The sad thing is that 2008 Anberlin sound-a-likes Search The City slaughter this album, and even Ivoryline are close.

I'll persevere tho.

I gave it another spin yesterday. 1, 2, 4-8 and 10 are great songs. Which makes for a strong album.

When 'Feel good drag' came on I also thought, 'Are they just re-recording this because it's their only opportunity and making a good song again?' But I was harsh, this will be pretty good after a few spins I reckon.

The sad thing is that 2008 Anberlin sound-a-likes Search The City slaughter this album, and even Ivoryline are close.

Still havent listened all the way through yet. I never really rated 'Never take...........' that highly - just dont like the guys voice that much....so ive not much hope with the newie I guess.

Thing is that song 'Feel Good Drag' is bloody awesome, but none of their other songs catches that power. Ho hum.

I'll persevere tho.

Still havent listened all the way through yet. I never really rated 'Never take...........' that highly - just dont like the guys voice that much....so ive not much hope with the newie I guess.

Thing is that song 'Feel Good Drag' is bloody awesome, but none of their other songs catches that power. Ho hum.

:lol: At the end of the day, it is a pretty awful voice, hey? Haha. Good disc, though. I agree, 'Feel good drag' is definitely out on it's own. However, I really adore 2 songs off the debut too. The last track and 'Boys speak in rhythm, and girls just lie'... whatever that one's called.

I'll persevere tho.

:lol: At the end of the day, it is a pretty awful voice, hey? Haha. Good disc, though. I agree, 'Feel good drag' is definitely out on it's own. However, I really adore 2 songs off the debut too. The last track and 'Boys speak in rhythm, and girls just lie'... whatever that one's called.

Awful voice? you mean its changed? or its always been awful?

I'll persevere tho.

Always been awful. Just that kind of naggy Aeeeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh noise you'd hear from Ace Ventura or something. I don't mind it, but it's not a quality vocal.

I'll persevere tho.

Always been awful. Just that kind of naggy Aeeeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh noise you'd hear from Ace Ventura or something. I don't mind it, but it's not a quality vocal.

i always thought his voice was pretty feminine..

and if youve seen them live... his antics back it up "from the bottom of my heart i love you guys, i want to hug and kiss you all"

I'll persevere tho.

and if youve seen them live... his antics back it up "from the bottom of my heart i love you guys, i want to hug and kiss you all"

He's gay 100% :gone:

I'll persevere tho.

He's gay 100% :gone:

Thats untrue! His boyfriend denies it.

He's not gay. He's cool. I regretted using the word 'awful' yesterday and want to retract it. There's nothing wrong with his voice at all, it's just technically not that good. Doesn't mean he doesn't sound okay.

This album's nestled into my top 20 just snuggly. I like it.

He's not gay. He's cool. I regretted using the word 'awful' yesterday and want to retract it. There's nothing wrong with his voice at all, it's just technically not that good. Doesn't mean he doesn't sound okay.

This album's nestled into my top 20 just snuggly. I like it.

I dont think his voice is awful. I like it. Not saying i like gay voices.... or did i...