Hiding your addiction

cdjunky41

Just seen this for the first time, fantastic thread!!!

I am living this as well, my wife will absolutely not tolerate me buying CDs as she knows I am addicted and have got into a lot of debt in the past.

What do I do about this?

Well, would it be wrong to get CDs sent to my parents' address...?

:tsk:

As long as they live close and tell them mums the word. Years ago, I got a package from MONSTER RECORDS (Now called ROCKADROME). It was a $100.00 order. I had it shipped to my job. Now, my job is at the same location as a U.P.S. warehouse (My company rents off of them). Even though I put my company name on the order form, U.P.S. got the box, then sent it back to MONSTER. I had to call DENNIS and get my package reshipped.

So I basically nixed that route. Plus I was getting the RELAPSE catalog at work as well. I was getting dirty looks from the secretary while she handed me a catalog with DYING FETUS on the cover.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I buy AOR CD's and my wife doesn't mind ... ! :tumbsup:

I should make it clear that the only reason my wife gets annoyed with the amount of CDs I buy is because I am well over $10,000 in personal debt (and don't even mention the fact that there's a mortgage to pay on top of that). :lol: I'm equally as frustrated with myself as she is.

I am living this as well, my wife will absolutely not tolerate me buying CDs as she knows I am addicted and have got into a lot of debt in the past.

What do I do about this?

As long as they live close and tell them mums the word. Years ago, I got a package from MONSTER RECORDS (Now called ROCKADROME). It was a $100.00 order. I had it shipped to my job. Now, my job is at the same location as a U.P.S. warehouse (My company rents off of them). Even though I put my company name on the order form, U.P.S. got the box, then sent it back to MONSTER. I had to call DENNIS and get my package reshipped.

So I basically nixed that route. Plus I was getting the RELAPSE catalog at work as well. I was getting dirty looks from the secretary while she handed me a catalog with DYING FETUS on the cover.

Oh yes, the secret is safe. I just pick them up in batches and smuggle them home in my work bag. My wife knows nothing at all about music, so as long as the number of CDs in the house doesn't go up too drastically (which it doesn't as I sell quite a few CDs) she is blissfully unaware.

I feel a bit guilty for a while, then I remember how little bloody spending money she lets me have.

:angry:

CLUTCH gave me an idea :idea:

Since everyone here trades c.d.'s, keep a package of blank c.d.'s lying around. When I'm expecting a package, Tell Mrs Junky I'm trading with someone.

Must tell you, My wife actually thought C.D. Baby was a girl. She read one of my e-mails that said CD BABY LOVES CD JUNKY.

I will have to try this though..

Thanks Chris!!! :tumbsup:

I use the trade line, quite a bit with incoming packages. She still doesn't believe me, even when they are trades.

Guest artofmetal

I've got thousands of cds so every morning when I leave for work I'll take a handful of cds and make sure my wife sees me leaving with them. She knows I'll be listening to them in the car as I travel and she also knows I always have several laying around in my car. Therefore when i buy new stuff or get things sent to me at work and bring them home she just assumes I bringing back in the ones i left with. She couldn't keep track if she tried.

I know, devious and pathetic but what are you going to do to keep the passion alive?

Guest artofmetal

What do I do about this?

Oh yes, the secret is safe. I just pick them up in batches and smuggle them home in my work bag. My wife knows nothing at all about music, so as long as the number of CDs in the house doesn't go up too drastically (which it doesn't as I sell quite a few CDs) she is blissfully unaware.

I feel a bit guilty for a while, then I remember how little bloody spending money she lets me have.

:angry:

I go as far as removing the price stickers and telling my wife I found the cds I just bought in the $.50/$1.00 bins. She usually buys it.

This thread rocks! I imagine it's a bit like going to Alcoholics Anonymous for the first time and meeting loads of fellow sufferers.

;)

I've got thousands of cds so every morning when I leave for work I'll take a handful of cds and make sure my wife sees me leaving with them. She knows I'll be listening to them in the car as I travel and she also knows I always have several laying around in my car. Therefore when i buy new stuff or get things sent to me at work and bring them home she just assumes I bringing back in the ones i left with. She couldn't keep track if she tried.

I know, devious and pathetic but what are you going to do to keep the passion alive?

I see your point ART, but bringing any part of my collection in the car is breaking the 2nd commandment of c.d.'s. THOU SHALT NOT PLAY YOUR COLLECTION IN YOUR CAR. Reason's being Stolen, Broken, Scratched and for Stepping on them :tsk:

I do the RIP & BURN method for transportation use only.

I must say, my wife is not as dumb as I would like her to be. If I tell her I spent $40 dollars at the store, she estimates $50 to $60. Ofcourse there are the times I spend about $10 on a trip and she claims she doesn't care. Which is :bs:

Getting packages from SENTINAL STEEL, C.D. Baby, Retrospect, Amazon, or Kivel, will be harder to claim they're trades.

I see your point ART, but bringing any part of my collection in the car is breaking the 2nd commandment of c.d.'s. THOU SHALT NOT PLAY YOUR COLLECTION IN YOUR CAR. Reason's being Stolen, Broken, Scratched and for Stepping on them :tsk:

Amen!! :bowdown:

When i roll into the garage i have a couple of good hiding places that i quickly put them into and i bring them in later when i go out and feed the cat and dog.My wifes pretty cool about my cd habit but sometimes she really cracks down on me. :(

Guest artofmetal

I must say, my wife is not as dumb as I would like her to be. If I tell her I spent $40 dollars at the store, she estimates $50 to $60. Ofcourse there are the times I spend about $10 on a trip and she claims she doesn't care. Which is :bs:

Getting packages from SENTINAL STEEL, C.D. Baby, Retrospect, Amazon, or Kivel, will be harder to claim they're trades.

Yeah, I'm breaking a commandment but I take my chances because I love to have my ORIGINALS with me at all times. Actually I never have 4-5 cds at a time in my car. But I do see your point banger and it's a good one.

That sounds like too much of a pain in the ass for me. I have been grabbing a dozen or so of my CDs every morning to listen to in the car and at my desk @ work for years now, and I've never had any of'em stolen, broken, scratched, or stepped on... except ONE.

A few years back my copy of Winters Bane's REDIVIVUS fell out of my car as I was getting out of it on a stormy morning and before I could grab it, it got blown halfway across the parking lot by the wind. So by the time I caught up with it, it was a scratched, soaked clusterf**k in a broken jewel case. Fortunately it was on sale for five bucks @ CDBaby so I was able to get a replacement. :lol:

Ever since then I make sure to keep the CDs in my knapsack till they're safely inside the building!!!

I take my originals with me to well except for the really rare stuff.

I do play my ipod some and that does have some of my regular and non rare stuff on it and I change it out from time to time since it only holds 1300 songs.

You'd think with so much creativity and initiative, we'd all be rich!

:devilgrin:

We are not rich, because we spend every dollar on...................c.d.'s ;)

Well, quite. Sad but true. Although I should point out that it's every dollar and pound on CDs! ;)

The trouble is, however many I buy, there are always more I need. There's no way the wife will ever understand!

(Hence this thread!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually bargained with The Enemy a couple of weeks ago. One of my co-workers gave me a $40 gift card for Kohl's Department Store for Christmas. I don't shop at Kohl's, I have never shopped at Kohl's, they have nothing there I need or want. However, The Enemy LOVES Kohl's. They got all that neat Rachael Ray signature cookware and other girly sh*t. So I sez "Make you a deal... You can take this gift card and blow it on whatever you want at Kohl's, but I get to blow an equal amount on CDs." She said "works for me" so I was able to pick up a few goodies from CDBaby. :pickle:

I actually bargained with The Enemy a couple of weeks ago. One of my co-workers gave me a $40 gift card for Kohl's Department Store for Christmas. I don't shop at Kohl's, I have never shopped at Kohl's, they have nothing there I need or want. However, The Enemy LOVES Kohl's. They got all that neat Rachael Ray signature cookware and other girly sh*t. So I sez "Make you a deal... You can take this gift card and blow it on whatever you want at Kohl's, but I get to blow an equal amount on CDs." She said "works for me" so I was able to pick up a few goodies from CDBaby. :pickle:

The Enemy?? that Your new pet name for Your wife Man??? :rofl2:

The Enemy?? that Your new pet name for Your wife Man??? :rofl2:

I thought every man called his wife THE ENEMY? :blink:

Sorry Keef!

I like to shop at KOHL'S myself :tumbsup:

I get my cheap LEE pants there as well as a couple of those fake concert shirts.

When i roll into the garage i have a couple of good hiding places that i quickly put them into and i bring them in later when i go out and feed the cat and dog.My wifes pretty cool about my cd habit but sometimes she really cracks down on me. :(

:rofl2: I've done that before.

:lol: The really sad thing about this thread is you do all these completely lame embarrassing things yourself, convinced you're the only person in the world who would actually do it, and then you see someone else write about it here. :lol: I've done the garage thing too.

Guest artofmetal

:lol: The really sad thing about this thread is you do all these completely lame embarrassing things yourself, convinced you're the only person in the world who would actually do it, and then you see someone else write about it here. :lol: I've done the garage thing too.

So True!!! I thought I was the only one in the world who did these kinds of things!!!