Papa Roach

Glen

Papa Roach?? I do like that song.. "Last Resort" From a few years ago.. Haven't bothered much with em since.... :whistle:

Ridiculous comment.

Totally different band now. Fantastic hook laden songs and intelligent lyrics.

Expect big things from them in early 09.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa Roach?? I do like that song.. "Last Resort" From a few years ago.. Haven't bothered much with em since.... :whistle:

Ridiculous comment.

Not a ridiculous comment really mate. I can see why people wouldn't bother with them anymore after the shit they used to put out and the amount of good music there is out there to check out. Anyway, I checked out 'The Paramour Sessions' at the time, as someone was raving about it (as I generally do if the word is out), didn't really like it, as It did absolutely nothing for me at all and moved on to something decent for me. Another band crossed off the long list. A simple but effective plan. :drink:

Ridiculous comment.

Not a ridiculous comment really mate. I can see why people wouldn't bother with them anymore after the shit they used to put out and the amount of good music there is out there to check out. Anyway, I checked out 'The Paramour Sessions' at the time, as someone was raving about it (as I generally do if the word is out), didn't really like it, as It did absolutely nothing for me at all and moved on to something decent for me. Another band crossed off the long list. A simple but effective plan. :drink:

Yeah but you see that's the difference. I could have said with almost 100% certainty that you would hate Papa Roach - and low and behold you do. No surprises there then. Whereas when someone posts that they actually liked a song from years back, which is basically complete shite when compared to all the awesome tunes on 'Paramore Sessions' and then make a whistling remark that they havent bothered since...............??

Well I just found that a little strange.

Perhaps they should try the new album as they would probably love it.

Make sense now??

Ridiculous comment.

Yeah but you see that's the difference. I could have said with almost 100% certainty that you would hate Papa Roach - and low and behold you do. No surprises there then. Whereas when someone posts that they actually liked a song from years back, which is basically complete shite when compared to all the awesome tunes on 'Paramore Sessions' and then make a whistling remark that they havent bothered since...............??

Make sense now??

Yeah, no offence to Jez but when I make comments about bands like Hinder and Papa Roach (killer modern melodic/commercial hard rock), Brother Jez and Brother Keith are about the only ones I immediately tick off my list as possible fans. Keith is obviously into the more metallic side of things, but Jez is on a whole other level of musical appreciation to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, mate, but the whole late 80's/early 90's US commercial/melodic hard rock scene (Poison, Warrant, PBF, Wildside, Southgang, Skid Row, Sven Gali, Bon Jovi, Slaughter etc. etc.) was pretty much entirely lost on you... but that's where all my favourite music is from.

So even going back to "the glory days", we liked completely different things, and when a band like Papa Roach or Hinder recalls these "glory days" in their music I am immediately sure you won't like them (lol... sorry mate, but the way I see it, if it's good you won't like :lol: ). The only thing that just completely blows my mind is that you make room for stuff like the Rasmus, RA and who was that other terrible band you let into your ears this year? Elliot Minor. WTF??? That is just out of this world to me. It's like, pick the worst modern rock band you can possibly find and somehow like them while ignoring all the good ones. HAHA! You're a freak mate. :P I'm surprised you don't like Pop Evil.

You're a good man, Jez, but you have a hell of a taste in music there. I know there are a couple of exceptions, but as we've said in the past we're pretty much complete opposites and anything I like can pretty much be written off your list. ;)

Anyway, what I'm saying, though, is that if you are a fan of excellent commercial/melodic hard rock, the new version of Papa Roach may very well be your thing.

Ridiculous comment.

Make sense now??

Yeah, no offence to Jez but when I make comments about bands like Hinder and Papa Roach (killer modern melodic/commercial hard rock), Brother Jez and Brother Keith are about the only ones I immediately tick off my list as possible fans. Keith is obviously into the more metallic side of things, but Jez is on a whole other level of musical appreciation to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, mate, but the whole late 80's/early 90's US commercial/melodic hard rock scene (Poison, Warrant, PBF, Wildside, Southgang, Skid Row, Sven Gali, Bon Jovi, Slaughter etc. etc.) was pretty much entirely lost on you... but that's where all my favourite music is from.

So even going back to "the glory days", we liked completely different things, and when a band like Papa Roach or Hinder recalls these "glory days" in their music I am immediately sure you won't like them (lol... sorry mate, but the way I see it, if it's good you won't like :lol: ). The only thing that just completely blows my mind is that you make room for stuff like the Rasmus, RA and who was that other terrible band you let into your ears this year? Elliot Minor. WTF??? That is just out of this world to me. It's like, pick the worst modern rock band you can possibly find and somehow like them while ignoring all the good ones. HAHA! You're a freak mate. :P I'm surprised you don't like Pop Evil.

You're a good man, Jez, but you have a hell of a taste in music there. I know there are a couple of exceptions, but as we've said in the past we're pretty much complete opposites and anything I like can pretty much be written off your list. ;)

I do have a hell of a taste in music mate thanks, i'm very open minded, listen to loads of different styles, genres, alot of stuff you have never even heard to comment on to be honest, which of course must be all rubbish, if you say it is. As always, you are spot on in your musical opinions, and I am completely wrong, so I shall say no more. :drink:

Ridiculous comment.

Make sense now??

I do have a hell of a taste in music mate thanks, i'm very open minded, listen to loads of different styles, genres, alot of stuff you have never even heard to comment on to be honest, which of course must be all rubbish, if you say it is. As always, you are spot on in your musical opinions, and I am completely wrong, so I shall say no more. :drink:

It makes me happy when you speak in facts, mate. :D:tumbsup:

Techs Jez did like Bon Jovi's older stuff, infact, he bought their self-titled album THE DAY IT WAS RELEASED!!!

no joke!

and yknow, i might check out this new Papa Roach album, hell, theyre touring with the Crue and Buckcherry...

but they had better be an entirely different band, cause their older output was serious shit in my own opinion..

Ridiculous comment.

Make sense now??

he speaks the truth though, with the exception of Jovi i dont think you own any of the above mentioned bands albums, and theres some real killer stuff there IMO

and for the record, i like Pop Evil, whats wrong with Pop Evil?

seriously, you two both have awesome tastes, one of you likes big, melodic, catchy 80s anthems and the other likes more AOR, Classic Rock and that kinda thing (i would say that while Geoff likes Warrant, Southgang, Skid Row etc, Jez likes Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, Asia, Foreigner, Foghat, Jefferson Starship, Boston etc...)

nothing wrong with ANY of the bands ive just mentioned, i like em all :tumbsup:

and yknow, i might check out this new Papa Roach album, hell, theyre touring with the Crue and Buckcherry...

but they had better be an entirely different band, cause their older output was serious shit in my own opinion..

FYI, Mick Mars is on Hinder's new album and will be on the upcoming Papa Roach disc too. As much as there are still people out there trying not to accept it, this is where hard rock n'roll is at these days.

As a Bon Jovi fan there is no way you can listen to songs like 'Forever', 'What do you do' or 'Reckless' and not be in love.

he speaks the truth though, with the exception of Jovi i dont think you own any of the above mentioned bands albums, and theres some real killer stuff there IMO

seriously, you two both have awesome tastes, one of you likes big, melodic, catchy 80s anthems and the other likes more AOR, Classic Rock and that kinda thing (i would say that while Geoff likes Warrant, Southgang, Skid Row etc, Jez likes Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, Asia, Foreigner, Foghat, Jefferson Starship, Boston etc...)

Yeah, I know Jez thinks I'm having a go at him, but I'm not. As you note quite accurately there, we just have very different tastes, as I would never in a million years listen to those bands and my good man Jez probably feels the same about Warrant etc.

As for what's wrong with Pop Evil... mate, as I said they're almost decent but have you heard what else is out there in modern rock these days??? Try Disciple, Story of the Year, Hinder, Papa Roach etc. and see how Pop Evil rate then. To me they're a spruced up grunge band, which granted you do like, so I understand your liking them. But imo there are just too many thousands of better bands out there. :)

I do actually own the first 2 Skid Row albums and like them alot, I have a couple of Slaughter's aswell. Quite a bit of other late 80's-90's stuff Geoff likes is in there aswell, if you check out my collection. I love AOR, MR & Classic Rock, but I also listen to a lot of Prog, Westcoast, Southern rock as well as loads of Classic Metal stuff, I cover most bases I think , except most of the bands mentioned in the 'Other' music thread that Geoff and Lennie listen to and the majority of 'Kerrang' bands as I like to call them (I think you get my drift) that mostly do nothing for me at all. Ocassionally one wil crop up that I like, as I do check most of them before commenting on them. A shame others don't do the same really ;)

I do actually own the first 2 Skid Row albums and like them alot, I have a couple of Slaughter's aswell. Quite a bit of other late 80's-90's stuff Geoff likes is in there aswell, if you check out my collection. I love AOR, MR & Classic Rock, but I also listen to a lot of Prog, Westcoast, Southern rock as well as loads of Classic Metal stuff, I cover most bases I think , except most of the bands mentioned in the 'Other' music thread that Geoff and Lennie listen to and the majority of 'Kerrang' bands as I like to call them (I think you get my drift) that mostly do nothing for me at all. Ocassionally one wil crop up that I like, as I do check most of them before commenting on them. A shame others don't do the same really ;)

Yeah, one thing I do before I ever verbally destroy a band is make sure I am "familiar enough" with them. But I just want to make it clear that that does not entail listening to every single song and CD they have ever released. That kind of overkill is not required if you can easily tell a band sucks.

I know you've made a few comments directed my way about not being familiar with bands I press hate upon, but just out of curiosity how many Cauterize, Story of the Year or Disciple albums have you heard in full? ;)

Yeah, one thing I do before I ever verbally destroy a band is make sure I am "familiar enough" with them. But I just want to make it clear that that does not entail listening to every single song and CD they have ever released. That kind of overkill is not required if you can easily tell a band sucks.

I know you've made a few comments directed my way about not being familiar with bands I press hate upon, but just out of curiosity how many Cauterize, Story of the Year or Disciple albums have you heard in full? ;)

Most of the late 70's early 80's stuff, by your own admission, you haven't really heard and that covers at least half my cd collection. I know you say you don't like anything pre 1984 because of that 'Sound' (something that really doesn't make any sense to me and something I will never understand however many times you try to explain it). Some bands have maybe 10 or 12 albums avaliable and are quite varied musically, yet you label them crap after 1 or 2 discs or a few songs. Sometimes further familiarity is beneficial.

Cauterize - 'Paper Wings' and 'Disguises'

SOTY - 'In the Wake of something' ??

Disciple - the stuff off their myspace page 3 or 4 songs if I remember

To add. I don't really hate any of these bands, except maybe a few of them who I thought really were terrible and Yes Cauterize and SR-71 are two of the main culprits. Basically the majority of what I have heard isn't for me, I didn't like what I heard, so I will continue listening to the hundreds of other things I do like, instead of wasting my time with this stuff.

Most of the late 70's early 80's stuff, by your own admission, you haven't really heard and that covers at least half my cd collection. I know you say you don't like anything pre 1984 because of that 'Sound' (something that really doesn't make any sense to me and something I will never understand however many times you try to explain it). Some bands have maybe 10 or 12 albums avaliable and are quite varied musically, yet you label them crap after 1 or 2 discs or a few songs. Sometimes further familiarity is beneficial.

How many happy hardcore dance songs do you like?

If the answer is 0 look at the reasons why you don't like any of them, and that reason is exactly the same reason I don't like any music before 1984 (except Motley Crue, Ratt and Def Lep's 'High and dry'). :)

As for the musically varied bands, please keep in mind I have tried ALL the Van Halen albums that were apparently "my scene", Cheap Trick (I like their 'Busted' album), Cher, Eddie Money, Toto, Journey, Whitesnake, Alice Cooper... hell, even Styx!!!! etc. I have tried out almost every single artist I can think of that has supposedly realeased an album that'd be up my alley. Some (to my HUGE surprise) work out for me - including Cher - and others fail miserably. But I do try them out...

To add. I don't really hate any of these bands, except maybe a few of them who I thought really were terrible and Yes Cauterize and SR-71 are two of the main culprits. Basically the majority of what I have heard isn't for me, I didn't like what I heard, so I will continue listening to the hundreds of other things I do like, instead of wasting my time with this stuff.

Which could be said exactly for why I don't waste more time than I need to with bands like Toto, Peterik's stuff etc. ;)

The only thing that confuses about you (and even our good buddy Mattasaurus Rex) is that you like random bands like Ra and Elliot Minor (who were disgusting!) ... even Waltham (who I also love) who stepped off the same boat as SR-71... and you hate a dozen similar but generally (not just me) much higher regarded bands. I can never figure it out. At least I like to think I'm consistent in what I hate and what I don't. :)

Oh, and who can forget - The Darkness are great but Poison are unbearable??? How does that work?

Which could be said exactly for why I don't waste more time than I need to with bands like Toto, Peterik's stuff etc. ;)

The only thing that confuses about you (and even our good buddy Mattasaurus Rex) is that you like random bands like Ra and Elliot Minor (who were disgusting!) ... even Waltham (who I also love) who stepped off the same boat as SR-71 - and you hate a dozen similar but generally (not just me) much higher regarded bands. I can never figure it out. At least I like to think I'm consistent in what I hate and what I don't. :)

Waltham sound like they have, in places, stepped straight off the Rick Springfield boat to my ears, hence probably why I like them and His new album so much.

Ra, initially I loved the guys voice, then I checked out some more of the songs, liked quite a few of them (which for me was a little odd with this stuff I admit) bought 'Duality' and noticed on the writing credits lots of co-writes with a certain Bob Marlette, who I love as a song writer and musician. Strangely enough, the Rick Springfield connection comes in again, as he was in Sahara Snow with RS, Tim Pierce and Mark Spiro. He also did alot of work on John Wetton's awesome 'Battlelines' album. On The New 'Black Sun' album, the songs I like the most on it are co-writes with guess who? That is the reason why I like Ra I think.

Elliot Minor - I said I quite liked them and some of the songs and arrangements, but wouldn't say I was raving over them. I play a few tracks ocassionally, but skip alot of it now. I remember you being very non plussed about them,but you didn't call them 'Disgusting' at the time. Slight over exaggeration to get your point across I think.

I may be random and Inconsistent on the odd thing, but not very often. I always note how inconsistent you are when it comes to AOR releases mate, so you are no different there really. No probs either way, but that statement works both ways and really isn't important - you like what your ears like at the end of the day.

I remember you being very non plussed about them,but you didn't call them 'Disgusting' at the time. Slight over exaggeration to get your point across I think.

Kinda like how Cauterize and SR-71 came from out of the blue to all of a sudden be your most hated bands ever? :lol:;)

I may be random and Inconsistent on the odd thing, but not very often. I always note how inconsistent you are when it comes to AOR releases mate, so you are no different there really. No probs either way, but that statement works both ways and really isn't important - you like what your ears like at the end of the day.

Yeah, agreed. There's not even anything wrong with being unpredictable, but it still confuses the hell out of me. I guess being more involved in the music in question (in the modern stuff for me and the AOR stuff for you) it's a little harder to understand how someone on the outside can like something and not something else.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. Now let's get our clothes off and have a rock n'roll shower party- uh, shit. I mean, let's put on a suit and tie and go to a formal, with women. And, uh, vaginas and stuff.

I remember you being very non plussed about them,but you didn't call them 'Disgusting' at the time. Slight over exaggeration to get your point across I think.

Kinda like how Cauterize and SR-71 came from out of the blue to all of a sudden be your most hated bands ever? :lol:;)

Not my most hated bands ever mate, just 2 i've always said were utter Crap. You know who the honour of my most hated band is, another of your faves strangely enough!! :D

Ocassionally one wil crop up that I like, as I do check most of them before commenting on them. A shame others don't do the same really ;)

*Cough... Cousin Wes* ;):lol:

Seriously, I do bust your balls a bit Jez but I actually do appreciate that you do take more time than others to do a bit of research into what you dish out. It's a good quality mate. I'm hugging you in my mind now... I just wish Matt would get out from inbetween us. ;)

Not my most hated bands ever mate, just 2 i've always said were utter Crap. You know who the honour of my most hated band is, another of your faves strangely enough!! :D

I would have to really go back a bit and read through archives but I could have sworn on my nuts that you liked SR-71's debut and I never, never saw such hatred towards Cauterize until recently.

Your most hated band? You mean that one that is better in every single aspect to The Darkness... a band you somehow like? Again... can't figure you out, mate. :)

Ocassionally one wil crop up that I like, as I do check most of them before commenting on them. A shame others don't do the same really ;)

*Cough... Cousin Wes* ;):lol:

Seriously, I do bust your balls a bit Jez but I actually do appreciate that you do take more time than others to do a bit of research into what you dish out. It's a good quality mate. I'm hugging you in my mind now... I just wish Matt would get out from inbetween us. ;)

No problems mate, I like a good discussion and am always open to new suggestions musically as you know, hence why I check all your Crap bands out ;). You just haven't found anything for me yet - Maybe one day that miracle will happen.!! :tumbsup:

Me liking SR-71? Catagorically no fucking chance in any post from me praisng any aspect of them whatsoever my good man. :lol:

Cauterize I only checked out about 6 months ago after putting it off, but your inane ramblings about them Pushed me unfortunatley. ;)

Again, The Darkness, as I have said before, I quite like and enjoy for what they are, but again, nowhere near my fave band as well you know. Poison on the other hand!! hmmm

Me liking SR-71? Catagorically no fucking chance in any post from me praisng any aspect of them whatsoever my good man. :lol:

Cauterize I only checked out about 6 months ago after putting it off, but your inane ramblings about them Pushed me unfortunatley. ;)

Again, The Darkness, as I have said before, I quite like and enjoy for what they are, but again, nowhere near my fave band as well you know. Poison on the other hand!! hmmm

I will make it my mission to find these SR-71 texts as I am sure they exist. Just the debut, nothing else. I swear you were there.

Even 'Hollyweird' destroys The Darkness' two albums and that's almost impossible. I'm happy for Poison's sake that The Darkness are so bad that at least there is something worse than 'Hollyweird' out there.

• 1 month later...