Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shake Your Soul gets my vote, but if the production had of been better on the S/T album, that would have been my choice.......Pretty poor production IMO but the material is still very good :tumbsup:

I am likely in the minority here but I really dig the S/T album. Kelly is a really cool guy too. He's hilarious and a great vocalist that just did not get a chance.

I am likely in the minority here but I really dig the S/T album.

You may be in the minority, but you are certainly not alone, because I totally love the s/t album as well. While the debut will always be my favorite, I actually put the s/t ahead of "Lights Out on the Playground."

I went with Lights Out, I just thought it was the strongest album.

Shake Your Soul gets my vote, but if the production had of been better on the S/T album, that would have been my choice.......Pretty poor production IMO but the material is still very good :tumbsup:

I am likely in the minority here but I really dig the S/T album.

Maybe in the minority, but as metalmaniac777 previously stated, "You are not alone" :tumbsup:

I don't think I've ever heard a Baton Rouge song in my life... Have always meant to check them out, but I have a horrible feeling their gonna sound like Slaughter or Poison....

Slaughter and Poison could only dream to sound as awesome as Baton Rouge. BR blow them both away. Not even in the same league! Can you tell I'm a huge fan :crazy:

They sound nothing like Poison or Slaughter. I really like the debut but they were never on the same planet as Poison or Slaughter. I think the record sells would show that too. Still, it's a very good album.

With you on all counts here, Jarred. They definitely sound nothing like either Poison or Slaughter and imo both Slaughter and (of course) Poison are a million times better.

As for the s/t, I always found it scrappy. It sounds like a jigsaw puzzle that was drunkedly put together and was never really meant to fit too well - definitely doesn't sound like a "band effort". Don't get me wrong, it's decent and the songs are okay... but it sounds like a bit of a mess to me.

I don't think I've ever heard a Baton Rouge song in my life... Have always meant to check them out, but I have a horrible feeling their gonna sound like Slaughter or Poison....

Slaughter and Poison could only dream to sound as awesome as Baton Rouge. BR blow them both away. Not even in the same league! Can you tell I'm a huge fan :crazy:

They sound nothing like Poison or Slaughter. I really like the debut but they were never on the same planet as Poison or Slaughter. I think the record sells would show that too. Still, it's a very good album.

With you on all counts here, Jarred. They definitely sound nothing like either Poison or Slaughter and imo both Slaughter and (of course) Poison are a million times better.

As for the s/t, I always found it scrappy. It sounds like a jigsaw puzzle that was drunkedly put together and was never really meant to fit too well - definitely doesn't sound like a "band effort". Don't get me wrong, it's decent and the songs are okay... but it sounds like a bit of a mess to me.

Have YOU been drinking today Geoff? :P Baton Rouge IS how hair metal is supposed to sound. "Scrappy, "drunkedly", a mess"....from what I've heard around here these words might describe your ex-girlfriends, but surely not the great and mighty Baton Rouge. :P

Chris

Have YOU been drinking today Geoff? :P Baton Rouge IS how hair metal is supposed to sound. "Scrappy, "drunkedly", a mess"....from what I've heard around here these words might describe your ex-girlfriends, but surely not the great and mighty Baton Rouge. :P

Chris

I won't even try to create a Poison/Baton Rouge argument because I just think Poison are 17,000 times superior in every way, but to each their own.

As for Slaughter... I honestly believe that even their debut (despite being written in several days) has more passion and sincerity than Baton Rouge's discography. I love all 5 Slaughter releases (Surely 'Fear no evil' kills any Baton Rouge release in anyone's eyes?) and only love one Baton Rouge release. No brainer for me. :)

Now Geoff you and I agree and like a lot more then we disagree on, but I don't understand your thinking on this one, while I like Poison, I don't really take any of their albums that seriously, with the exception of Native Tongue, where they actually had someone that could play guitar, while Baton Rouge did songs like The Price Of Love and Its About Time! I was warned away from S-T, but mainly just haven't ever found it,

I can see why a lot of people would not agree with me here, but one thing you can say about Poison - love them or hate them - is that they always meant it. Call him a cheeseball if you must, but Bret Michaels bled his ballads and it was outwardly obvious the band loved what they were doing and were passionate about it.

Aside from the solid debut, I never got that feeling with Baton Rouge. As I've said several times, I just feel that the 2nd and 3rd albums are soul-less. 'Price of love' is a great sounding song, but to me it sounds like a song they recorded out of duty, not out of love for what they were doing... and hasn't Kelly been quoted as saying they didn't like that album even as it was released? If that's the case, it shows.

I've got to admit, Lights is the only BR cd in my collection, something about it, Slave ToThe Rythem sold me, I just like the album, while Shake had killer tracks they just wore out quick for me, a maybe its because the rock station where I live pretty much played every song off of it until I couldn't stand it anymore, that's what I think.

Had a listen to the first half of Lights this morning for the first time in ages, and although i think its very cool and similar to the first one, it does come off as a bit flat and uninspired. Pity. Some of these songs on it are pretty huge...

Had a listen to the first half of Lights this morning for the first time in ages, and although i think its very cool and similar to the first one, it does come off as a bit flat and uninspired. Pity. Some of these songs on it are pretty huge...

Good to see someone pickin' up what I'm putting down. Good songs - I agree. But as you say, they just sound uninspired, like the band couldn't care less.

Good to see someone pickin' up what I'm putting down. Good songs - I agree. But as you say, they just sound uninspired, like the band couldn't care less.

Yep. I now remember why i dont spin it much. Some of it just plods... then theres a cool bit and you think... that couldve been better..

cough..cough..BULLSHIT...cough.

Chris

cough..cough..BULLSHIT...cough.

Chris

You'll come around in time too, my friend. They all do.

So I just picked up "Shake Your Soul" for a stupidly low price, & I can't believe I haven't checked these guys out before. Kinda like that EYES "S/T" album IMO, killer commercial MHR with huge choruses. Is nothing like the Poison/Slaughter sound I expected & actually sounds pretty fresh in 2008....

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I do love Lights Out On The Playground, and with a better production the s/t could have been really good. But Shake Your Soul is #1

Shake Your Soul' by a massive margin for me. 'Doctor' is by far my favourite BR song and there are a few others I like on that one.