"Modern" Music to Check Out

LV KIX

• My Little Pony

Hats off to you Geoff! This thread is an extensive research on modern rock. Its indeed very informative.

Grateful to you that I got introduced to great bands such as The New Shining, Silly Fools, Crashcarburn, Cauterize, Parachute Run Kid Run, Summerlin etc. Am yet to check out so many of them mentioned on this thread(don't think I will be able to cover all). Could you please suggest names of bands along the lines of the bands that I have mentioned. Thanks.

My favourite Modern Hard Rock band is The Classic Crime. First two albums are essential. Third album was a bit hit and miss. Fourth one was a nice return to form. Fifth album is acoustic versions of previous material.

Matt MacDonald, their lead singer, is one of my favourite songwriters. The man is a poet.

Hats off to you Geoff! This thread is an extensive research on modern rock. Its indeed very informative.

Grateful to you that I got introduced to great bands such as The New Shining, Silly Fools, Crashcarburn, Cauterize, Parachute Run Kid Run, Summerlin etc. Am yet to check out so many of them mentioned on this thread(don't think I will be able to cover all). Could you please suggest names of bands along the lines of the bands that I have mentioned. Thanks.

Mate, I'd have to really sit down and think about that one. You've tried A Change Of Pace, Boys Like Girls, Coldrain etc?

My favourite Modern Hard Rock band is The Classic Crime. First two albums are essential. Third album was a bit hit and miss. Fourth one was a nice return to form. Fifth album is acoustic versions of previous material.

Matt MacDonald, their lead singer, is one of my favourite songwriters. The man is a poet.

Thanks...will check it out tonight.

Mate, I'd have to really sit down and think about that one. You've tried A Change Of Pace, Boys Like Girls, Coldrain etc?

Haha I understand. Ya I have Boys Like Girls second album. Great album. Will check out the other 2 bands.

Coldrain was a nice discovery.....Japanese band that is pretty damn good modern hard rock!

Haha I understand. Ya I have Boys Like Girls second album. Great album. Will check out the other 2 bands.

Just Surrender were excellent too. Monty Are I also.

I've heard of and tried Hands Like Houses before but never delved any further. Will check out the new album, though.

I've heard of and tried Hands Like Houses before but never delved any further. Will check out the new album, though.

The new one is much better than their previous work

and this has to be one of my favourite songs this year so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSIf7F7uMQ

The new one is much better than their previous work

and this has to be one of my favourite songs this year so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSIf7F7uMQ

Oh yes, very good. A very familiar sound (kind of like Bring Me The Horizon mixed with a bunch of UK modern bands)... but I like it. I'll definitely check it out. Great chorus. Good voice, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
  • 2023 Gold Donors

Well worth checking out is Rivers Monroe from Philadelphia.The Philadelphia-based quintet began when keyboardist/vocalist, Mat Rivers, joined long-time friend and lead-singer Mike Monroe. The two songwriters teamed up with guitarist, Doc, bassist, Kirby and drummer, Dan, to fill out their new pop/rock/punk sound, infused with energy and emotion. Their pop hooks, passionate lyrics, and enthusiastic performances (not to mention, hard work) landed them a national tour and a number of sponsorships including: Coca-Cola, Sunoco, Cerwin-Vega and Motel 6.

2 albums to date Rivers Monroe (2014) and Smart Girls (2015) both well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZki72pZytc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4RemSZEyQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=patUu7EuF68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Ytk3xoPbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNin2FI91k

• 2 months later...

Thanks mate, love them both (Natives & Rivers Monroe). I'll check them out asap. Where do you find out about bands like these? These are the types of bands I am 100% sure I am missing out on in mass numbers per year but I don't know how to rectify it.

Only this week I found out Pillar (in 2015) and Quietdrive (in December 2014) released new albums that I knew nothing of until this week. Two bands I am very fond of. I hate missing stuff like that, but where do you keep on top of all this type of stuff?

• 2023 Gold Donors

Thanks mate, love them both (Natives & Rivers Monroe). I'll check them out asap. Where do you find out about bands like these? These are the types of bands I am 100% sure I am missing out on in mass numbers per year but I don't know how to rectify it.

Only this week I found out Pillar (in 2015) and Quietdrive (in December 2014) released new albums that I knew nothing of until this week. Two bands I am very fond of. I hate missing stuff like that, but where do you keep on top of all this type of stuff?

I find out about some of these bands by stumbling across them on the net utube etc. As AOR is my forte my knowledge on modern/alt stuff is limited but i have a mate who is all over this genre and he gives me the heads up on stuff he thinks i'll like.

• My Little Pony

I find out about some of these bands by stumbling across them on the net utube etc. As AOR is my forte my knowledge on modern/alt stuff is limited but i have a mate who is all over this genre and he gives me the heads up on stuff he thinks i'll like.

It's always good to have friends like that. Let them do all the hard work. I have a friend like that for Hip Hop. ;}

It's always good to have friends like that. Let them do all the hard work. I have a friend like that for Hip Hop. ;}

You sure he's a friend? If I had a friend giving me a heads up on hip hop releases he thinks I'd like, I'd mash his face into the next potato salad I made.

• My Little Pony

You sure he's a friend? If I had a friend giving me a heads up on hip hop releases he thinks I'd like, I'd mash his face into the next potato salad I made.

You don't have a lot of friends, do you?

You don't have a lot of friends, do you?

None. At all. But that's how I roll and I have no issues with it.

And Pillar's rocks big time....in fact, I just picked it up like a month ago myself. Didn't know a thing about it either until I was on Amazon.....

Yeah, the Pillar album has very good songs on it. There was something a little amiss about it for me, but it was still a very good album. The band seemed a little restrained. I thought the songs were as good as the previous couple of albums, but they seemed to hold back a lot more. Not quite the power and passion of those last albums. And there was something weird going on with the backing vocals too... almost like they were toned down a lot, kind of cast aside when they were in the forefront on 'For the love of the game.'

I need a few more listens, but I agree that the album is good... I just feel that with a couple of pretty minor tweaks, it could have been significantly better.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised I haven't made a thread for these guys in the past, but the ever-reliable A Day To Remember have released another fine album. It's called 'Bad Vibrations.'

1 - Bad Vibrations
2 - Paranoia
3 - Naivety
4 - Exposed
5 - Bullfight
6 - Reassemble
7 - Justified
8 - We Got This
9 - Same About You
10 - Turn Off The Radio
11 - Forgive And Forget
12 - Negative Space
13 - In Florida
A couple of my favourite tunes;
I was also pretty impressed with the new Crown The Empire album, 'Retrograde.' Gone are the post-hardcore screams, and what's left is actually a pretty good, catchy modern hard rock/metal disc;
1 - Sk-68
2 - Are You Coming With Me?
3 - Zero
4 - Aftermath
5 - Hologram
6 - The Fear Is Real
7 - Lucky Us
8 - Weight Of The World
9 - Signs Of Life
10 - Oxygen
11 - Kaleidoscope

Surprised I haven't made a thread for these guys in the past, but the ever-reliable A Day To Remember have released another fine album. It's called 'Bad Vibrations.'

1 - Bad Vibrations
2 - Paranoia
3 - Naivety
4 - Exposed
5 - Bullfight
6 - Reassemble
7 - Justified
8 - We Got This
9 - Same About You
10 - Turn Off The Radio
11 - Forgive And Forget
12 - Negative Space
13 - In Florida
I was also pretty impressed with the new Crown The Empire album, 'Retrograde.' Gone are the post-hardcore screams, and what's left is actually a pretty good, catchy modern hard rock/metal disc;
1 - Sk-68
3 - Zero
4 - Aftermath
5 - Hologram
6 - The Fear Is Real
7 - Lucky Us
8 - Weight Of The World
9 - Signs Of Life
10 - Oxygen
11 - Kaleidoscope

I am liking the new ADTR album but it's nowhere near as good as 'Homesick'

1 - Bad Vibrations
2 - Paranoia
3 - Naivety
4 - Exposed
5 - Bullfight
6 - Reassemble
7 - Justified
8 - We Got This
9 - Same About You
10 - Turn Off The Radio
11 - Forgive And Forget
12 - Negative Space
13 - In Florida
1 - Sk-68
3 - Zero
4 - Aftermath
5 - Hologram
6 - The Fear Is Real
7 - Lucky Us
8 - Weight Of The World
9 - Signs Of Life
10 - Oxygen
11 - Kaleidoscope

Nah, to be honest it's one of their weaker recent albums, but I do find them very reliable even when they're not at their absolute best. I'd put it behind 'Homesick,' 'Common Courtesy' and 'What Separates me from you.'

But, considering they're all 80%+ albums in my eyes, it's hardly a bad thing. :)

1 - Bad Vibrations
2 - Paranoia
3 - Naivety
4 - Exposed
5 - Bullfight
6 - Reassemble
7 - Justified
8 - We Got This
9 - Same About You
10 - Turn Off The Radio
11 - Forgive And Forget
12 - Negative Space
13 - In Florida
1 - Sk-68
3 - Zero
4 - Aftermath
5 - Hologram
6 - The Fear Is Real
7 - Lucky Us
8 - Weight Of The World
9 - Signs Of Life
10 - Oxygen
11 - Kaleidoscope

Nah, to be honest it's one of their weaker recent albums, but I do find them very reliable even when they're not at their absolute best. I'd put it behind 'Homesick,' 'Common Courtesy' and 'What Separates me from you.'

But, considering they're all 80%+ albums in my eyes, it's hardly a bad thing. :)

Agreed

Good band although I think they would be even better if they toned down a lot of the screaming , their best songs are the ones with no screams IMO

That Crown the empire looks interesting , will check that one out