"Modern" Music to Check Out

LV KIX

Yeah really interested in The Black Veil Brides and BFMV.....will be lining both those up for a listen real soon. Thoughts to follow.

Not sure either will do much for you to be honest. Both solid but I can't see you going wild over them. There were better releases last year that I noted you having no/little interest in. Will be interested in your thoughts, though. BFMV sound so good - if only they had the memorable songs this time to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks for the post and tips. Sorry it took a while to see it. I really like Bridge To Grace - do they have an album out? The 2nd band is okay - I'd check them out if it fell in my lap. Same with the last band. Pretty decent - I like the chorus, but Bridge To Grace is my fave of the lot. Hadn't heard of any of them before your post. Thanks for the tips.

Have you heard Kingsfoil? They might lean a bit more toward Power Pop, but they're similar to some of the other stuff that's in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r55OQvnCgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXa03Uus08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-BkEDEWl3k

Thanks, never heard those guys either. Nice hooks - I'll check 'em out for sure! Keep 'em coming. ;)

By the way... If you've ever wondered what became of Frankie "Malcolm in the Middle" Muniz, that's him on drums in the 3rd video.

Do you guys like Heartsounds or is that too pop punk for y'alls taste? I dig it myself.

Not sure it'd be for me. Sounds really fast - like the old school punk my brothers used to listen to, like Pennywise and Millencollen and that stuff.

You heard Fenix TX, Melody Fall or Allister? They're pretty cool bands in this style, but not quite as fast and a more melodic.

Do you guys like Heartsounds or is that too pop punk for y'alls taste? I dig it myself.

Not sure it'd be for me. Sounds really fast - like the old school punk my brothers used to listen to, like Pennywise and Millencollen and that stuff.

You heard Fenix TX, Melody Fall or Allister? They're pretty cool bands in this style, but not quite as fast and a more melodic.

I listen to a lot of pop punk like Teenage Bottlerocket, Riverdales, chixdiggit, etc. so I guess I'm just used to the speed of the music.

I've heard Fenix TX (and like them), but not the other two. I'll check 'em out.

Holy shit there is some awesome rhythm guitarage going on there. Sounds pretty cool. I'd like to hear more.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've actually checked out Angels Fall before. Definitely sound good. Do they have a CD out at all? Or even a digital album?

Not sure about Racing Glaciers for me... very mellow. And I hear horns...

I heard a pretty good album today from a band called Conditions. The album is called 'Full of War.' Not amazing, but a fine album.

• 3 weeks later...

Take your pick. According to the guys in Ghosts of August, the two bands wrote this song together, but each one recorded it a bit differently. Personally, I'd go with the Ghosts of August version. Either way, it's a cool tune.

Ghosts of August - Broken (2011)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LLdUM9Z7n8

Age of Days - Broken (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrXJiFv7UmI

Both of those come from pretty good CDs worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

Some good stuff on that Age of Days CD, mate.

Not really sure anyone here cares about modern rock much anymore, and it's been a pretty slow year so far in terms of really great releases. At this point in time there is not a single modern rock disc in my top 10, which hasn't happened in over a decade. Although, I am yet to fully assess the new Escape The Fate CD and it looks like that may just squeeze into my top 10. Anyway, some comments on the year so far for anyone interested:

Neverstore - Neverstore ; after ETF, these guys probably boast the best modern rock CD of the year. A Swedish band, I believe. Very nice disc, with this being the highlight, imo:

Colton Dixon - A Messenger ; christian with a few mind-numbing lyrics, and a lot of ballads, but generally a pretty good disc. I gotta say, this is one of the better songs of the year too. I just pretend he's not jibbering on about Jesus:

Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Divine ; not a bad disc. Something annoys me about this band, and you'd only ever download this album so you could cut out the 10 interludes. Not a bad album.

Coldrain - The Revelation ; consistent and solid as always. Stunning production job. A little heavier than previous and maybe not as melodic overall, but one of the best voices in modern rock... I like these guys plenty.

My Chemical Romance - Conventional Weapons ; not really an album but a collection of 2 track singles... there's actually some real good stuff here, and some fillers too.

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal ; impressive post-hardcore release. Not heard the band before but this made me a fan.

Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper ; missing the hooks, simple as that. Very solid, but where them hooks at? :(

Silverstein - This Is How The Wind Shifts ; another really solid disc from these guys. If you liked them before, this, you will like.

Drowning Pool - Resilience ; another band I never heard before and assumed, by the name, they were dreadful nu-metal. But wow, some pretty good anthemic heavy rock on this one. Check it out for a cheeky little surprise. Some huge choruses here.

Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones Part 2 ; second part, and another very, very solid disc. If you've liked these guys, these 2 discs are a must. A very solid modern hard rock band.

Age Of Days - Radioactivity ; good stuff. Not all perfect, but some nice Hinder-styled stuff.

Fall Out Boy - Save Rock And Roll ; surprisingly good and catchy. The dude can craft a catchy lyric and melody. I don't mind this at all.

Killswitch Engage - Disarm The Descent ; typical KE disc. Either you love them or not, this is much of the same and I dig it.

Funeral For A Friend - Conduit ; a grower. Not their best, but some really strong choruses here save some otherwise pretty average tunes. Worth persisting.

Trapt - Reborn ; bit of a dud. A few good songs, but you could download an EP out of this instead of a full disc.

Cartel - Collider ; these guys have been solid in the past and are again, to a degree, but it's their weakest disc, imo. Very passable.

Attack! Attack! - Long Road To Nowhere ; huge disappointment. After a great debut and very good follow up I really looked forward to this. One of the letdowns of the year so far.

Paramore - Paramore ; pretty drab for the most part. Really quite mediocre and a weak effort. There's some catchy stuff, but overall not a good album.

Hawk Nelson - Made ; same as usual. Moronic christian lyrics are here aplenty, but overall there's a few catchy enough tunes here.

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Et Tu Brute? ; solid EP. Nothing amazing, but true to their sound. I like it.

Plain White T's - Should've Gone To Bed EP ; 2 super catchy songs, 2 duds. Love this one:

Senses Fail - Renacer ; very average modern rock / screamo with a few good choruses, not much else.

Sevendust - Black Out The Sun ; pure garbage.

Honor By August - Monuments to Progress ; another of the better releases of the year from a band I am unfamiliar with. Nice pop rock.

30 Seconds To Mars - Love Lust & Faith + Dreams ; pretty disappointing. As one could have guessed, it's very pompous. A lot of pointless interludes and wasted space. Makes for a disjointed listen, but the songs that take off where the last disc left off are contrived, but good.

Escape The Fate - Ungrateful ; like I said above, probably the best modern hard rock disc of the year, and arguably their best yet too. A HUGE step up from the pretty average last CD, and to be honest, a real surprise. They still do what they do, but they do it well here. Oh, and do your best to track down the bonus tracks too as 'I alone' and 'Father Brother' are two of the best on the CD. Check out this monster riff. I dare you not to dig this:

A bonus track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQx_hzDgaa4

I like BFMV's 'The Poison', but other than that they're very much a one-trick pony ... I'd recommend Five Finger Death Punch, who (IMHO) are one of the less annoying and more talented bands in the Funeral For My 30 Second Horizon vein ... Stone Sour are okay, too (certainly far better than Slipknot!) :)

I like BFMV's 'The Poison', but other than that they're very much a one-trick pony ... I'd recommend Five Finger Death Punch, who (IMHO) are one of the less annoying and more talented bands in the Funeral For My 30 Second Horizon vein ... Stone Sour are okay, too (certainly far better than Slipknot!) :)

Yeah, I've heard FFDP before and I gotta say, they don't personally do anything for me. Not quite as catchy, or shall we say "melodic" are the others you mention. Mark and I have similar modern rock tastes, though, and I know he favours them a bit.

I like Stone Sour and wonder why they don't appear to more people here. I guess it's just because no one really has heard them or is willing to give them a go? I only wonder because it's basically pure hard rock / metal they play, and the "modern" part is just a mixing of words.

• My Little Pony

Oh, Geoffrey, you cheeky little bugger! You know I love cheeky little surprises. I'll have to go through that list some day. But I'm only making my way through your favourites from last year.

Oh, Geoffrey, you cheeky little bugger! You know I love cheeky little surprises. I'll have to go through that list some day. But I'm only making my way through your favourites from last year.

I am cheeky, aren't I? Spank me. Mmmmmmm.

A few EPs I didn't put in that list are pretty sweet too. The new 4 track EP from Throw The Fight is particularly delicious.

Yeah, I've heard FFDP before and I gotta say, they don't personally do anything for me. Not quite as catchy, or shall we say "melodic" are the others you mention. Mark and I have similar modern rock tastes, though, and I know he favours them a bit.

I like Stone Sour and wonder why they don't appear to more people here. I guess it's just because no one really has heard them or is willing to give them a go? I only wonder because it's basically pure hard rock / metal they play, and the "modern" part is just a mixing of words.

I know a lot of people who are put off by the Slipknot connection ... which is a pity 'cause Stone Sour are actually very good ... like you say, more pure HR/metal than 'shouty blokes with more piercings than talent' ...