Favorite "Q" Band

"Q" Bands  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The letter is a mess. An embarrassment even. I hastily voted for Quota but quickly realised it was a little foolish.

I'd say Quiet Riot and Queensryche's 'Empire' is enough to earn them a little joy from me. Quade were okay too.

Either way, awful letter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Has to be Queensryche by a mile. Not one of my favourite bands, but they've done some good albums and that puts them a long way ahead of the others. I never liked Queen, don't really know Q5 (aside from about 3 songs) and this also includes one of my most hated bands ever - Quireboys.

• 1 month later...

I voted for Queen. I would have voted for Quiet Riot, but they're responsible for me meeting the Mrs.. :doh:

:lol:

Is there a good story behind this one?

I voted for Queen. I would have voted for Quiet Riot, but they're responsible for me meeting the Mrs.. :doh:

:lol:

Is there a good story behind this one?

Not really James.

My friends band opened for QR at the Birch Hill here in Jersey. I was set up on a Blind Date. It's really the band Mojo Love Dog's fault, but it's QR's music I'll never listen to in the same manner again :doh:

I have to say Qwest, Canadian AOR classic!

Queensryche... even though I like to pretend that the albums in between EMPIRE and OPERATION MINDCRIME II never happened. <_<

Ha-ha. I'm with you mate. The first albums up to Mindcrime is just great. Rage for order, MIndcrime and Empire are classics IMO

• 1 year later...

I have to say i'm really surprised with the results of this poll; i'm a huge heavy metal maniac, and i consider Queensryche one of the very best US heavy metal bands, but let's be serious for one second:there's just NO WAY they can stand against Queen.They(Queen) are legends, their music transcends genres,they are the only band i know that can switch with such ease from heavy metal to disco-pop,from prog rock to glam rock, from opera to hard rock,and to do it with such class.Freddie Mercury is the greatest voice in rock,period;Brian May is easily among the top 5 of the most legendary hard rock axemen. And do i really have to mention that live, they were the most grandiose and over the top performers ever?

I have to say i'm really surprised with the results of this poll; i'm a huge heavy metal maniac, and i consider Queensryche one of the very best US heavy metal bands, but let's be serious for one second:there's just NO WAY they can stand against Queen.They(Queen) are legends, their music transcends genres,they are the only band i know that can switch with such ease from heavy metal to disco-pop,from prog rock to glam rock, from opera to hard rock,and to do it with such class.Freddie Mercury is the greatest voice in rock,period;Brian May is easily among the top 5 of the most legendary hard rock axemen. And do i really have to mention that live, they were the most grandiose and over the top performers ever?

Surprised? I'm surprised that you're surprised! This is a fan for rock and metal fans and while Queen were a rock band, they had a very commercial/light/poppy sound. I have no doubt they were a very talented and influential band, but their music isn't to my tastes and I would much rather listen to Queensryche than Queen.

Surprised? I'm surprised that you're surprised! This is a fan for rock and metal fans and while Queen were a rock band, they had a very commercial/light/poppy sound.

They sure do have that commercial poppy sound,but that's only the visible part of the iceberg; i guess you must not be familiar with the hidden part, the old albums, the songs that were not on the Greatest hits collection,the hidden gems for the die hard fans;there are lots of treasures to be found in their music, that are not commercial or light/poppy at all; in fact, believe me,Queen were much more "extreme"(from a "heavy metal pioneering " point of view) for their time, than Queensryche ever was .In fact, i'm pretty much sure that Geoff Tate(who is a big Queen fan btw) would totally agree with that statement.

Surprised? I'm surprised that you're surprised! This is a fan for rock and metal fans and while Queen were a rock band, they had a very commercial/light/poppy sound.

They sure do have that commercial poppy sound,but that's only the visible part of the iceberg; i guess you must not be familiar with the hidden part, the old albums, the songs that were not on the Greatest hits collection,the hidden gems for the die hard fans;there are lots of treasures to be found in their music, that are not commercial or light/poppy at all; in fact, believe me,Queen were much more "extreme"(from a "heavy metal pioneering " point of view) for their time, than Queensryche ever was .In fact, i'm pretty much sure that Geoff Tate(who is a big Queen fan btw) would totally agree with that statement.

You may well be right, but this is all about personal tastes. For what it's worth, Queensryche is not one of my favourite bands, I just prefer them to Queen. I would far rather be listening to Testament, Overkill, Death, Bolt Thrower and countless others to either band.

I'm not slating Queen, they just don't interest me.

Queensryche... even though I like to pretend that the albums in between EMPIRE and OPERATION MINDCRIME II never happened. dry.gif

:agree:

I disagree, I think Promised Land is pretty goog!

• My Little Pony
Queensryche... even though I like to pretend that the albums in between EMPIRE and OPERATION MINDCRIME II never happened. dry.gif

:agree:

I disagree, I think Promised Land is pretty goog!

Yeah, I thought it was goog, too!!

You may well be right, but this is all about personal tastes. For what it's worth, Queensryche is not one of my favourite bands, I just prefer them to Queen. I would far rather be listening to Testament, Overkill, Death, Bolt Thrower and countless others to either band.

I'm not slating Queen, they just don't interest me.

I understand your point of view, but i don't share it. As a heavy metal lover, i consider that it's very important to be interested in the foundations of this music:of course the holy trinity(Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Led Zeppelin),"the fathers of heavy metal"; but also other important bands from that period,like Budgie,Blue Oyster Cult,Alice Cooper,Uriah Heep,...and Queen, finally.

Conclusion:the first 4 Queen albums(Queen I,Queen II,Sheer Heart Attack,A Night at the Opera) are essential listenings and must have(s) to anyone interested in early heavy metal/hard rock.

Conclusion:the first 4 Queen albums(Queen I,Queen II,Sheer Heart Attack,A Night at the Opera) are essential listenings and must have(s) to anyone interested in early heavy metal/hard rock.

I respect your opinion and opinions are what this is all about, but I completely disagree with the statement above. There are lots of cases where the pioneers of a form of music are not necessarily among the best exponents of the genre. The fact that they are first means they deserve recognition, but in terms of the music, better may follow. In the case of Queen, I do not deny that they were a great band and may have influenced many bands that I enjoy listening to. However, to say their albums are "must haves" just because of their influence is a wildly inaccurate statement in my view. There are Queen songs I don't mind, but I do not own their albums and have no intention of doing so. The bands they have influenced have adapted the sound and it is that new sound that I enjoy.

Besides, the influence debate could be taken to the nth degree. What came before Queen? 60s rock 'n' roll? Classic Blues? Does someone who likes Heavy Metal today have to enjoy those genres as well? Many will, but others won't.

I understand how you feel - as a huge Death Metal fan I would find it frustrating to hear people raving about modern-day Deathcore bands without recognising the brilliance of Chuck Schuldiner and Death. It may be, though, that they prefer the modern stuff and don't like the bands that started the whole movement and such is their right.

I think it's good to recognise where our favourite bands' inspiration came from, but I don't think it's healthy to declare something to be 'essentail listening' when everyone's tastes are so different ... Steve Harris loves Golden Earring - as much as I love Iron Maiden, Golden Earring leave me cold; Joe Elliott is a huge fan of Ian Hunter - I'm not ... Lemmy has often professed his admiration for The Beatles, but I doubt that every Motorhead fan out there feels the same ...

For the record, I like a lot of Queen's stuff, but I don't rate their first two albums at all :)