MAJOR Label - MINOR Success

heaven&hell

I was just watching some of Lynch Mob's vids from Rocklahoma and thought of them for this thread.

I don't think they ever had a gold album and I dont't understand why.

They were a great band on those first two albums IMO.

Great call. An abundance of songs on that which had potential to tear the radio apart, like 'Wicked Sensation', 'Sweet sister mercy' or the made-for-radio 'No bed of roses'.

Totally backed. "No Bed of Roses" should of been all over radio as should of been "River of Love". :tumbsup:

Backed...that Whole album rulez!!! :banger:

It seemed like that album and Don's solo album wasn't pushed that hard by the labels but I could be wrong.

I do remember Don's "Mirror Mirror" getting some day time play on MTV on Dial MTV but only remember seeing "Wicked Sensation" getting played late at night or on Headbangers Ball.

Lynch Mob's Wicked Sensation actually scored pretty decent on the charts. It peaked at #46 with the song "Wicked Sensation" hitting #31 and "River of Love" breaking the Top 20 at #19 in the Mainstream Rock category.

Ah the good ol' days when our music was considered Mainstream Rock!

Yes those were the days. :headbanger:

So what did Don's solo album do? I would of thought it did better with the name.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about King Kobra?

Their first two discs were both good especially the debut 'Ready to Strike'.

They had a minor hit with the Never Say Die(Iron Eagle) tune from the movie but I don't think they ever really sold any records and not sure why. Of course Mark left and went on with Signal and Unruly Child which both should of been huge as well.

:agree:

Just got through reading this whole thread & didn't realize all the bands that coulda been huge...especially the ones with major label backing! I guess after awhile they just gave up on trying to break these bands...how sad cuz some of them were tons better than the one that actually 'made' it. Some of my faves were:

Y&T

ROUGH CUTT

ICON

BLACK 'N' BLUE

A few more that nobody mentioned were CONEY HATCH, HELIX & KICK AXE (I love the first 2 albums) & TRASH (whose "BURNIN' ROCK" album came out on Atlantic Records in '85 I believe & is an underrated gem IMO)

How about King Kobra?

Their first two discs were both good especially the debut 'Ready to Strike'.

They had a minor hit with the Never Say Die(Iron Eagle) tune from the movie but I don't think they ever really sold any records and not sure why. Of course Mark left and went on with Signal and Unruly Child which both should of been huge as well.

:agree:

Just got through reading this whole thread & didn't realize all the bands that coulda been huge...especially the ones with major label backing! I guess after awhile they just gave up on trying to break these bands...how sad cuz some of them were tons better than the one that actually 'made' it. Some of my faves were:

Y&T

ROUGH CUTT

ICON

BLACK 'N' BLUE

A few more that nobody mentioned were CONEY HATCH, HELIX & KICK AXE (I love the first 2 albums) & TRASH (whose "BURNIN' ROCK" album came out on Atlantic Records in '85 I believe & is an underrated gem IMO)

Helix had some great stuff in the mid 80's and had some minor success with a couple of singles but never made it to the Arena headlining status.

Maybe it's just me but there seemed to be a ton of Canadian bands that were great but none of them except Rush made it big in the US. Some had minor success and toured and put out multiple releases but none of them made is huge.

I guess another band I should mention cuz they were from my area & I used to see them live all the time was BANSHEE...they self released their first EP "CRY IN THE NIGHT" (which I still have the original cassette) then I think Metal Blade picked them up & rereleased it. Then they signed to Titanium/Atlantic which released "RACE AGAINST TIME" & the video for "SHOOT DOWN THE NIGHT" which got some airtime on "Headbangers Ball". I think because of non label support, ego's within the band & some band member's poor personal decisions (of which I have reliable inside info) this band crashed & burned...they eventually released "TAKEN BY STORM" on their own indie label but by then it was too late...They did kick ass at Rocklahoma '08 though... :headbanger:

I guess another band I should mention cuz they were from my area & I used to see them live all the time was BANSHEE...they self released their first EP "CRY IN THE NIGHT" (which I still have the original cassette) then I think Metal Blade picked them up & rereleased it. Then they signed to Titanium/Atlantic which released "RACE AGAINST TIME" & the video for "SHOOT DOWN THE NIGHT" which got some airtime on "Headbangers Ball". I think because of non label support, ego's within the band & some band member's poor personal decisions (of which I have reliable inside info) this band crashed & burned...they eventually released "TAKEN BY STORM" on their own indie label but by then it was too late...They did kick ass at Rocklahoma '08 though... :headbanger:

I wish they would reissue their catalog silver pressed instead of the cdrs they put out two years ago.

I used to have Race Against Time but for some stupid reason I traded it away and now I'm just left with Mp3s of all 3 discs. I used to see RAT everywhere when I lived in Illinois but after I traded it away they all seemed to dissapear. :doh:

Anyway great band and were a great mix of the Hair Metal look but had a much more Melodic Metal sound kind of like a lighter Judas Preist.

I was just watching some of Lynch Mob's vids from Rocklahoma and thought of them for this thread.

Great call. An abundance of songs on that which had potential to tear the radio apart, like 'Wicked Sensation', 'Sweet sister mercy' or the made-for-radio 'No bed of roses'.

Totally backed. "No Bed of Roses" should of been all over radio as should of been "River of Love". :tumbsup:

It seemed like that album and Don's solo album wasn't pushed that hard by the labels but I could be wrong.

I do remember Don's "Mirror Mirror" getting some day time play on MTV on Dial MTV but only remember seeing "Wicked Sensation" getting played late at night or on Headbangers Ball.

Lynch Mob's Wicked Sensation actually scored pretty decent on the charts. It peaked at #46 with the song "Wicked Sensation" hitting #31 and "River of Love" breaking the Top 20 at #19 in the Mainstream Rock category.

So what did Don's solo album do? I would of thought it did better with the name.

Don's album peaked at #50 on the Billboard 200. "Mirror Mirror" hit #26 in the Mainstream Rock category.

Don's album peaked at #50 on the Billboard 200. "Mirror Mirror" hit #26 in the Mainstream Rock category.

Well I'll be damned I wouldn't of expected that at all.

I just remember Don's video getting more day time play so I would of expected sales to be better.

I just remember Don's video getting more day time play so I would of expected sales to be better.

I know, that vid was on every time I turned on MTV it seemed. That was a big reason why I held off on buying his album for so long, I was so sick of that video. I do think Lynch Mob got a lot of play as well, and personally, when I was in school their tape was always getting played when we would be out and about.

I know, that vid was on every time I turned on MTV it seemed. That was a big reason why I held off on buying his album for so long, I was so sick of that video. I do think Lynch Mob got a lot of play as well, and personally, when I was in school their tape was always getting played when we would be out and about.

Oh I played both so many times I couldn't count but I do remember not being sure if I liked the Lynch Mob after the first listen. But after a few more plays I loved it. I only ever saw the LM videos late at night though.