MAJOR Label - MINOR Success

heaven&hell

Didn't Chrysalis have Krokus? maybe not...face it though Most if not all of

the labels in the early to mid 80's didn't know how to market Metal. Their idea

was to have a "Metal" band cover some crappy song that was a hit at one time

or make them change their look and sound to something safer...

Krokus were on Arista, who were never a big metal label either. By the time they tried to jump on the Hair Metal train by signing Babylon A.D. in the late 90s, the ship had already sailed.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krokus were on Arista, who were never a big metal label either. By the time they tried to jump on the Hair Metal train by signing Babylon A.D. in the late 90s, the ship had already sailed.

Aritsa...damn I couldn't remember that name for some reason...

Krokus could be added to the list though....

Arista was too busy selling Whitney Houston, Air Supply, and Barry Manilow CDs to give a sh*t about rock. They were probably as surprised as anyone when Krokus actually sold a few records on HEADHUNTER. :lol:

You can sort by record label over at the main site.

I recommend taking a look at how many bands were on MCA.

Wow I didn't know you could do that...thanks for the tip... :beerbang:

Yeah there were to many good bands on the MCA label that sputtered out because of them.

Yeah there were to many good bands on the MCA label that sputtered out because of them.

Childs Play...

Childs Play...

I love "My Bottle". :beerbang:

Most of the bands mentioned here were just signed too late.

Any band signed after 86/87 was just too late.

By 86 the big lables were signing so many hair bands, there was just too much choice and it was hard to sort the chafe from the wheat, especially when bands were being signed because they look or sound like Band X or Band Y.

After 88/89 it was pretty much too late, with grunge/alternative music just round the corner.

This is why albums like the first to D2 albums, PBFs debut and a few others actually got a decent(ish) push, and maybe sold some good numbers, but by 1991, the big lables only wanted the hip new bands.

Dont forget, even Poison, one of the most successful bands of the era, and had a multi platinum selling greatest hits CD in the middle of the grunge movement, still had their Crack a smile CD shelved for years!

The lables had no confidence or interest in hair metal/glam/aor, even if there was a possibility of it doing good numbers.

Unless you were Kiss, GNR, Aerosmith etc, you were fucked.

Warrant did good numbers with their first two CDs, but it only took one shakey sales figure on DED for them to be dropped.

Some bands suffered from the success of its own genre and became lost in a plethora of similar sounding bands and some suffered at the hands of the unholy grunge!

What is interesting to note though, is some of these bands are still going today on smaller lables, selling reasonable numbers to still loyal fans, but how many of the "newer" grunge/alternative bands still have a music career?

What is interesting to note though, is some of these bands are still going today on smaller lables, selling reasonable numbers to still loyal fans, but how many of the "newer" grunge/alternative bands still have a music career?

That right there says it all. :tumbsup:

That right there says it all. :tumbsup:

there area few out there that still have a big following. The possible STP reunion would / will be big. Alice In Chains just did a small tour and there is still a demand for them, even with a replacement singer. Pearl Jam still gets a push. Collective Soul does well.

out of the grunge movement you still have the big bands and the ones that kind of washed away, like with the 80's rock bands. really, outside of "us" the 80's rock fans, who knows when slaughter, firehouse or anyother band from the day puts out a new album? very few and I think it is the same with the 90's bands, outside of their core group not many people really know what they are doing.

I think it is the same with the 90's bands, outside of their core group not many people really know what they are doing.

Yep, I agree. And just like 80s rock fans gather on boards like these to go "F**kin' Nirvana! It's all THEIR fault (name of band) isn't popular anymore!", I imagine there must be message boards devoted to 90s rock where fans gather to go "F**kin' Boy Bands! It's all THEIR fault!" Hell, there are probably message boards devoted to 50s doo wop where THOSE fans sit around and bitch "F**kin' Beatles! It's all THEIR fault!"

It's the Circle of Musical Life.

How could we forget BADLANDS...Now IMHO I think this band shoulda been

a Fuckin Huge success....They have the best songs, singing, music....it's a crime they went

under the radar....they had it ALL IMO and are One of my faves ever!!!

Backed! I am always amazed at how similar our (excellent) tastes are. :drink:

Backed...I've noticed that too...

another band that makes the list is Armored Saint...what happend here....They are

a KILLER Band...

Armored Saint-Symbol of Salvation should of been huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

It's one of my fav albums of all time.

I love that one too. 'Reign of fire', 'Last train home' and 'Another day' are f*cking magnificent!

a Fuckin Huge success....They have the best songs, singing, music....it's a crime they went

another band that makes the list is Armored Saint...what happend here....They are

a KILLER Band...

I love that one too. 'Reign of fire', 'Last train home' and 'Another day' are f*cking magnificent!

Are you yanking my chain cousin? Or are you serious? I never in a million years would of guessed you'd be into that album or that band. Is someone posting under your username again? :whistle:

a KILLER Band...

Are you yanking my chain cousin? Or are you serious? I never in a million years would of guessed you'd be into that album or that band. Is someone posting under your username again? :whistle:

It's the only Armored Saint album I own, but I'm very serious that I love that album. Never really got to try out any of their others, though.

a KILLER Band...

It's the only Armored Saint album I own, but I'm very serious that I love that album. Never really got to try out any of their others, though.

:headbanger::banger:

a KILLER Band...

Yeah Armored Saint should have been huge, after March Of The Saint they kind of fell into limbo.

a KILLER Band...

Yeah Armored Saint should have been huge, after March Of The Saint they kind of fell into limbo.

They were on a bad label and made some bad producer choices according to the band.

But I didn't discover them until Symbol of Salvation and that's my fav by far and everything that came before didn't sound as good to me.

a KILLER Band...

They were on a bad label and made some bad producer choices according to the band.

But I didn't discover them until Symbol of Salvation and that's my fav by far and everything that came before didn't sound as good to me.

Raising Fear is pretty fucking sweet as well.

Thought of another one.. Now I haven't read alot of the recent posts, SO if they are mentioned already I apologize..

But, what about.. Autograph??

They had 3 pretty good albums and then just faded away......

I really did like the "Sign in Please" Album too...... On a Major label, but they just didn't go anywhere really......

I mean Who DIDN'T like that tune "Turn Up the Radio"???? :headbanger:

Thought of another one.. Now I haven't read alot of the recent posts, SO if they are mentioned already I apologize..

But, what about.. Autograph??

They had 3 pretty good albums and then just faded away......

I really did like the "Sign in Please" Album too...... On a Major label, but they just didn't go anywhere really......

I mean Who DIDN'T like that tune "Turn Up the Radio"???? :headbanger:

Yeah they seemed to have that one huge hit and then was over.