MAJOR Label - MINOR Success

heaven&hell

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic....

The bands that come to mind for me are:

1.) DIRTY LOOKS ~ Great songs and they didn't all sound the same like another very overrated popular band. :whistle:

2.) SR-71 ~ I'll never understand why SR-71 isn't as popular as bands such as Good Charlotte, Blink 182, or Green Day.

3.) CHILD'S PLAY ~ When Child's Play was first signed to Chrysalis Records they were suppose to be the rock/metal band that put the label on the map as far as that genre goes. Then along came Slaughter and Child's play was pushed to the rear.

4.) SOUTHGANG ~ A perfect commercial rock release that should have been all over the radio. Not saying Southgang was a great band, just very marketable as far as I am concerned.

5.) D GENERATION ~ First major label release was on EMI/Chrysalis who did very little promotion and then dropped the band shortly after the album release. They were then signed to Columbia, who basically put out the same songs that were on the EMI/Chrysalis release but had the release produced by Ric Ocasic. At the time I really thought that D Generation would be huge, the music mixes glam, metal, & punk and should have appealed to a wide audience.

6.) SHOOTING STAR ~ Why was this band not HUGE. The self titled release from 1980 is a release everyone who comes to this site should own. A flawless release... Although they did play a couple of the songs from this release on the radio, somebody somewhere screwed this one up.

Great topic....

1.) DIRTY LOOKS ~ Great songs and they didn't all sound the same like another very overrated popular band. :whistle:

2.) SR-71 ~ I'll never understand why SR-71 isn't as popular as bands such as Good Charlotte, Blink 182, or Green Day.

3.) CHILD'S PLAY ~ When Child's Play was first signed to Chrysalis Records they were suppose to be the rock/metal band that put the label on the map as far as that genre goes. Then along came Slaughter and Child's play was pushed to the rear.

4.) SOUTHGANG ~ A perfect commercial rock release that should have been all over the radio. Not saying Southgang was a great band, just very marketable as far as I am concerned.

5.) D GENERATION ~ First major label release was on EMI/Chrysalis who did very little promotion and then dropped the band shortly after the album release. They were then signed to Columbia, who basically put out the same songs that were on the EMI/Chrysalis release but had the release produced by Ric Ocasic. At the time I really thought that D Generation would be huge, the music mixes glam, metal, & punk and should have appealed to a wide audience.

6.) SHOOTING STAR ~ Why was this band not HUGE. The self titled release from 1980 is a release everyone who comes to this site should own. A flawless release... Although they did play a couple of the songs from this release on the radio, somebody somewhere screwed this one up.

Backed on Dirty Looks, Southgang and Childs Play.

Southgang did get played a little on MTV with "Tainted Angel" but only on Headbangers Ball.

"Love aint Enough" or "Aim for the Heart" should of been pushed and could of been huge hit singles for them.

Oh man, how did I forget Southgang?! Agree 100%, and of course I agree 100% with SR-71. How they didn't make it when a dozen similar far less talented bands at the same time did is a kick in the balls.

Oh man, how did I forget Southgang?! Agree 100%, and of course I agree 100% with SR-71. How they didn't make it when a dozen similar far less talented bands at the same time did is a kick in the balls.

How about Marvelous 3? The "Hey Album" should of sold millions.

They were 10 times better then most of the other bands of their genre.

I don't know if it was their label or if they looked to old for the young kids that buy cds.

I know they did a pretty good job of keeping quiet that they'd been in a hair band in the late 80's.

How about Marvelous 3? The "Hey Album" should of sold millions.

They were 10 times better then most of the other bands of their genre.

I don't know if it was their label or if they looked to old for the young kids that buy cds.

I know they did a pretty good job of keeping quiet that they'd been in a hair band in the late 80's.

Oh yeah, of course! Backed 100% again. If the 'Hey album' failed, 'Readysexgo' still should have sold 14,000,000 copies as there were literally 10 sure-fire singles lined up and ready to go on that disc. And while we're talking about Butch, his debut solo album should have been huge too.

Great topic....

Love D Generation!!! Agreed with M-3 and Sr-71 too... too many great bands have fallen under the radar...

How about:

Rail? They had some great rockin' songs on EMI. Maybe the EP's killed em?

and

Sea Hags

D'molls

Salty Dog

Spread Eagle

The Best Kissers In The World

Kings X (Did Faith, Hope, Love go gold?)

Protein

Roughhouse

The Lemons

Kings X (Did Faith, Hope, Love go gold?)

If it did, it was just barely...

How could we forget BADLANDS...Now IMHO I think this band shoulda been

a Fuckin Huge success....They have the best songs, singing, music....it's a crime they went

under the radar....they had it ALL IMO and are One of my faves ever!!!

a Fuckin Huge success....They have the best songs, singing, music....it's a crime they went

Backed! I am always amazed at how similar our (excellent) tastes are. :drink:

(Smacks forehead) D'OH! :homer: Agreed, how come it took this long for their name to come up?? I got the S/T album with me today... gonna give it a spin in a lil' while...

(Smacks forehead) D'OH! :homer: Agreed, how come it took this long for their name to come up?? I got the S/T album with me today... gonna give it a spin in a lil' while...

:crazy: I brought all 3 with me today and was listening to the S/T on the way to work

and I thought how lame I was for forgetting them...

:crazy: I brought all 3 with me today and was listening to the S/T on the way to work

and I thought how lame I was for forgetting them...

I guess I didn't include them before since I had thought that the debut had sold pretty well but not sure if it went gold or better. I do agree though that they were one awesome band. Ray is one of the greatest singers of this genre and Jake dont get the respect he deserves IMO.

What about Hurricane?

I can't believe I forgot about them, they should of been much bigger.

Their label dropped the ball big time IMO.

Yeah, very true. 'I'm onto you' was a killer potential big-time single.

What about..

Kix?? I know they had alot of good albums and all that..

BUT, did they EVER get out of the Club circuit?? Hell, They SHOULD have been playing Arenas like Ratt, Motley Crue and etc.. They were at least AS good if not better......

Sure they packed those clubs, No question,but they should have been bigger, playing Arenas across the World......

Least in My opinion anyways....

Backed...I've noticed that too...

another band that makes the list is Armored Saint...what happend here....They are

a KILLER Band...

What about..

Kix?? I know they had alot of good albums and all that..

BUT, did they EVER get out of the Club circuit?? Hell, They SHOULD have been playing Arenas like Ratt, Motley Crue and etc.. They were at least AS good if not better......

Kix did some arena dates opening for Whitesnake circa 1988 (the BLOW MY FUSE era) but that's all I know of.

I guess I didn't include them before since I had thought that the debut had sold pretty well but not sure if it went gold or better. I do agree though that they were one awesome band. Ray is one of the greatest singers of this genre and Jake dont get the respect he deserves IMO.

I don't think any of their stuff went gold...what a shame

I don't think any of their stuff went gold...what a shame

The debut had to come close didn't it? MTV played "Dreams in the Dark" and "Winters Call" quite a bit.

They also did some touring with Tesla/Great White.

Backed...I've noticed that too...

another band that makes the list is Armored Saint...what happend here....They are

a KILLER Band...

Armored Saint-Symbol of Salvation should of been huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

It's one of my fav albums of all time.

a KILLER Band...

Sh*t yeah. What happened there is that they were signed to Chrysalis, a label that had no experience in the hard rock/metal area (the hardest rocking act on their roster was Pat Benatar!)... they picked up Saint simply cuz they were from L.A. and then couldn't figure out why they weren't selling zillions of records like Quiet Riot and the Crue. Duh. Because they were REAL metal, not poof metal!! :angry:

a KILLER Band...

Sh*t yeah. What happened there is that they were signed to Chrysalis, a label that had no experience in the hard rock/metal area (the hardest rocking act on their roster was Pat Benatar!)... they picked up Saint simply cuz they were from L.A. and then couldn't figure out why they weren't selling zillions of records like Quiet Riot and the Crue. Duh. Because they were REAL metal, not poof metal!! :angry:

Didn't Chrysalis have Krokus? maybe not...face it though Most if not all of

the labels in the early to mid 80's didn't know how to market Metal. Their idea

was to have a "Metal" band cover some crappy song that was a hit at one time

or make them change their look and sound to something safer...

a KILLER Band...

Didn't Chrysalis have Krokus? maybe not...face it though Most if not all of

the labels in the early to mid 80's didn't know how to market Metal. Their idea

was to have a "Metal" band cover some crappy song that was a hit at one time

or make them change their look and sound to something safer...

I think the only band that Chrysalis did anything with was Slaughter.