MAJOR Label - MINOR Success

heaven&hell

KEEL/GUIFFRIA MCA lable who knows what happened there.

I think MCA dropped the ball on almost every Hard Rock band on their roster.

No shit I think Lillian Axe was also on the MCA lable.

So was Crimson Glory. So was Bang Tango. So was VoiVod.

See a pattern beginning to emerge?? :lol:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think the s/t and Love & War were on there.

They did sell a few records with the Trixter debut but couldn't do anything with Sweet F.A.

Backed...MCA fucked over many a band...Wasn't KEEL on MCA/Gold Mountain...

Yes.

Yes.

Yup, they were. The list goes on!!

I'm told that in the music biz, MCA stands for "Musician's Cemetary of America." :lol:

That's a good way to put it.

Don't forget how bad A&M was either, they couldn't break Y&T, but then again either could Geffen who seemed to be breaking everyone, except for Black N Blue.

Speaking of which, that reminds me, Keel were double f**ked. THE RIGHT TO ROCK came out thru A&M, then their next three albums came out thru MCA.

Don't forget how bad A&M was either, they couldn't break Y&T, but then again either could Geffen who seemed to be breaking everyone, except for Black N Blue.

Geffen's big fish was GNR if I'm not mistaken, I think they also have a few other big names...Aerosmith...maybe without looking.

Speaking of which, that reminds me, Keel were double f**ked. THE RIGHT TO ROCK came out thru A&M, then their next three albums came out thru MCA.

Holy crap you're right.

They also had the debut on Shrapnel which refused to reissue for what seems like forever until recently.

So in some way Shrapnel was screwing them over as well.

MCA also dropped the ball on Marc Ferrari's post Keel band Cold Sweat.

Geffen's big fish was GNR if I'm not mistaken, I think they also have a few other big names...Aerosmith...maybe without looking.

GNR

Aerosmith

Whitesnake

Tesla

Y&T(Contagious & Ten)

Black N Blue

If memory serves, Black-N-Blue were the first hard rock band signed to Geffen. The label was still fairly new at the time (their first release was the first Asia album, which was only two or three years before B&B). Fat lotta good that distinction did'em though.

Backed...WTF Geffen dropped the ball here...everybody on Geffen seemed to be big except

Black N Blue

Holy crap you're right.

They also had the debut on Shrapnel which refused to reissue for what seems like forever until recently.

So in some way Shrapnel was screwing them over as well.

Triple f**ked!! :yikes:

If memory serves, Black-N-Blue were the first hard rock band signed to Geffen. The label was still fairly new at the time (their first release was the first Asia album, which was only two or three years before B&B). Fat lotta good that distinction did'em though.

They waited a full year for Dieter Dierks to produce that debut album but by that time RATT and Motley had beaten them to the punch by putting out albums on Major Labels.

They waited a full year for Dieter Dierks to produce that debut album but by that time RATT and Motley had beaten them to the punch by putting out albums on Major Labels.

Timing is everything... <_<

GNR

Aerosmith

Whitesnake

Tesla

Y&T(Contagious & Ten)

Black N Blue

You know what come to think of it, I think ICON's first two releases were on A&M but never got released on CD by them.

Timing is everything... <_<

Yeah it is and by the outside world they were followers but from what I've read they had their major label deal before RATT or Motley.

Mitch Malloy

Trixter

Britny Fox

??

Mitch Malloy I agree with since I don't think he even sold 100,000 copies but both Trixter and Britny Fox had gold records and I beleive Britny Fox's debut might of went platinum but I could be wrong.

Assuming we're including major labels in Europe as well I'd say these to start off, agreeing with Wildside also:

Sven Gali

Treat

Bonfire

Casanova

Blue Tears

Danger Danger

SR-71

Vain

Kane Roberts

Fate

Now I didn't include D2 since I wasn't sure if they had a platinum album or if they just went gold.

Their two videos from the debut, "Naughty Naughty" and "Bang Bang", both got a lot of play on MTV.

Totally backed on Kane Roberts, especially with Saints and Sinners.

As for bands like Cassanova, Bonfire and Treat, I'm not sure what if any of their albums ever got released in America, so that could of been some of their problems right there. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that Bonfire had some of their stuff released here.

Yeah, I put D2 in the list because when I got into the tunes they were very hard to find and from what I understand they did okay, but not as well as I feel they deserved. The fact that their stunning third album was shelved also hints, to me, that there probably wasn't much interest or support for them. :(

And yeah, Kane Roberts' inclusion is purely for the brilliant 'Saints and sinners'.

I remember reading old Kerrangs about Treat and their hopes and efforts to crack the US market... which they never did. :(

I think Bonfire had the single 'Hard on me' released in the US and that was pretty much the extent of it. I guess 'Point Blank' and probably even 'Fireworks' would have seen US releases? Maybe? Not sure at all.

Of others mentioned... backed on Shotgun messiah and Bangalore Choir.

Assuming we're including major labels in Europe as well I'd say these to start off, agreeing with Wildside also:

Sven Gali

Treat

Bonfire

Casanova

Blue Tears

Danger Danger

SR-71

Vain

Kane Roberts

Fate

Now I didn't include D2 since I wasn't sure if they had a platinum album or if they just went gold.

Their two videos from the debut, "Naughty Naughty" and "Bang Bang", both got a lot of play on MTV.

Totally backed on Kane Roberts, especially with Saints and Sinners.

As for bands like Cassanova, Bonfire and Treat, I'm not sure what if any of their albums ever got released in America, so that could of been some of their problems right there. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that Bonfire had some of their stuff released here.

Yeah, I put D2 in the list because when I got into the tunes they were very hard to find and from what I understand they did okay, but not as well as I feel they deserved. The fact that their stunning third album was shelved also hints, to me, that there probably wasn't much interest or support for them. :(

And yeah, Kane Roberts' inclusion is purely for the brilliant 'Saints and sinners'.

I remember reading old Kerrangs about Treat and their hopes and efforts to crack the US market... which they never did. :(

I think Bonfire had 'Hard on me' released in the US and that was pretty much the extent of it. I guess 'Point Blank' and probably even 'Fireworks' would have seen US releases? Maybe? Not sure at all.

Of others mentioned... backed on Shotgun messiah and Bangalore Choir.

D2's 3rd release wasn't put out mostly due to the coming on of Alternative and Grunge music and the hatred the press had for Hair Metal.

I know Bonfire had 'Sword and the Stone' on the Shocker soundtrack so I assume some of their early stuff was out in the States but not sure which ones. I'm sure Jarred would know this.

As far as Treat go I had never heard of them until I came to this site not that means anything but I'm almost sure they never had anything out over here but could be wrong.

Shotgun Messiah got some MTV play late at night only for two vids from the debut(Dont Care about Nothin and Shout it Out) and for Hearbreak BLVD from the follow up, but I don't think either album sold more than 100,000 copies.

Shotgun Messiah got some MTV play late at night only for two vids from the debut(Dont Care about Nothin and Shout it Out) and for Hearbreak BLVD from the follow up, but I don't think either album sold more than 100,000 copies.

Shotgun Messiah were signed to Relativity (not exactly a major label, but at least a "major indie" label) that was more known for thrash/death metal/hardcore acts (Combat Records was a Relativity sub-label). They didn't have the big budget necessary to market commercial stuff like S.M. (the only other glam/hair act I can remember on the Relativity roster was Sweet Pain).... Relativity did pretty well in the thrash realm (where videos/radio play weren't as necessary) but likely they weren't selling enough records to justify a huge marketing campaign for S.M. and butting heads with the big boys who were spending zillions of dollars plastering Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, Dokken, etc. all over the airwaves and MTV.

Plus, by the time S.M.'s VIOLENT NEW BREED came out, Relativity was moving into the hip hop realm and dumping all the Combat bands and other rock acts. Again, timing is everything, and S.M. had none.

Shotgun Messiah were signed to Relativity (not exactly a major label, but at least a "major indie" label) that was more known for thrash/death metal/hardcore acts (Combat Records was a Relativity sub-label). They didn't have the big budget necessary to market commercial stuff like S.M. (the only other glam/hair act I can remember on the Relativity roster was Sweet Pain).... Relativity did pretty well in the thrash realm (where videos/radio play weren't as necessary) but likely they weren't selling enough records to justify a huge marketing campaign for S.M. and butting heads with the big boys who were spending zillions of dollars plastering Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, Dokken, etc. all over the airwaves and MTV.

Plus, by the time S.M.'s VIOLENT NEW BREED came out, Relativity was moving into the hip hop realm and dumping all the Combat bands and other rock acts. Again, timing is everything, and S.M. had none.

Good point about their label and your right they were more a Major indie then a Major.

Either way they were a good band that probably should of gotten more then they did but changing singers and then directions didn't do them any favors either. Really all 3 albums sounded like 3 different bands.

One band I've left out was House of Lords.

They were on RCA which I think was a Major Label, but of course they were signed by Gene Simmons which never seems to work out. Hell even having your album produced by him don't seem to help just ask Keel and Black&Blue.