Spanish "reader's comments"

Delbert

Hmmm.... Since many of the complaints seem to be regarding consecutive comments on the same CD from the same party, do you think it would help if I doubled the character limit per message from 500 to 1000 characters?

(There has to be a limit of some sort).

-Dan

I'd personally be for that idea. It's only happened a couple of times, but every now and then you just wish you had those few extra words to use. I think it'd be a cool idea. Even if it's normally more than enough. :)

Backed, I feel the same.

Me too. I usually waffle on way too much anyways, but look what they said about Shakespeare ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... Since many of the complaints seem to be regarding consecutive comments on the same CD from the same party, do you think it would help if I doubled the character limit per message from 500 to 1000 characters?

(There has to be a limit of some sort).

-Dan

I'd personally be for that idea. It's only happened a couple of times, but every now and then you just wish you had those few extra words to use. I think it'd be a cool idea. Even if it's normally more than enough. :)

Backed, I feel the same.

Me too. I usually waffle on way too much anyways, but look what they said about Shakespeare ;)

I often think of your posts as mini-classics, I can only imagine how powerful they would be if allowed to double in size... ;)

Maybe it's not the popular or politically-correct stance, but I'm another one who got so tired of the Spanish comments dominating the Comments section that I simply stopped going there and pretty much stopped posting there as well. Sorry, but I refuse to wade through 25 Spanish posts to find one written in English. Maybe that makes me a lazy bastard, but that's the reality; because of the influx of Spanish posts in that section, that section has lost a reader (and a poster). I don't sweat it much, because the Message Board is still pretty much English-only, but sometimes when I stop to think about it, a burr gets under my saddle, as it seems to have with Delbert and a few others as well. And the translator...yeah, that thing's pretty much only good for comic relief.

I mean no disrespect to the Spanish-speaking/writing fans of our beloved musical genre, but try logging onto a French- or Norwegian- or German-based melodic rock site and see if they'll accomodate you posting in Spanish...or even English for that matter. It's just not going to happen. You'll be informed that you have to learn whatever language the site is based on or you'll need to find a different site to frequent. Guess that makes Heavy Harmonies a bedrock of tolerance and accomodation...

Anyway, that's my two cents' tossed into the pot. Now, to read this message in Spanish, please press "2." ;)

what happened to the English ones? It seems like English speakers are outnumbered by non-speakers in the comments sections these days.

Pretty obvious I think.......most of those who posted in English have grown tired of the massive influx of Spanish comments and have just quit reading the comments section, subsequently, they've quit posting as well......

Yeah, I just say that remember the internet is a global thing, not a United States thing or a British thing or a Aussi thing. even if the site is based in the U.S. anyone from anyplace can access the site from their home. I just overlook the "other language" post

Probably the most sensible response so far, lets face it, it is the world wide web.

Probably the most sensible response so far, lets face it, it is the world wide web.

And I ask.....why do we not see posts in French, Bulgarian, Portugese etc etc etc etc etc etc.............??????

Just because the site is on the 'WORLDWIDE WEB' does not mean it is multilingual!!! The site is an 'ENGLISH' based, 'ENGLISH" oriented site until the not too distant past. A number of people began posting in Spanish and the webmaster decided to accomodate them by creating a Spanish based translator with the postings........I guess if the French guys start posting we'll have a French translator and of course, if the Russians decide to start posting comments, we'll add a Russian translator and etc etc etc.....????

Again, I knew I was going to snag some nerves, but this is getting out of hand in my opinion.

Well...

I've talked it over with the mods and while there's pros and cons on both sides of the issue, I've decided to make the main site English-only, and will be making changes and announcements to that effect.

The biggest reason is the difficulty in moderating that area when discussion is in a different language. It makes detecting the presence of threats, etc. more difficult.

It has also created a subcommunity that interacts almost entirely with itself over there, and doesn't convert into participation here on the board, meaningful donations to the site, or more CD submissions.

Given the comments from some of the regulars in this thread about their reluctance to use that functionality of the web site, I have to ask myself the following:

By adding the translation tool from Spanish <-> English and encouraging the posting of Spanish comments, am I actually doing a disservice to the intended target audience of Heavy Harmonies: English speakers, predominantly American, by unwittingly making their user experience more hostile?

I think the answer is yes.

It was a mistake and it's time to fix it.

-Dan

Well...

I've talked it over with the mods and while there's pros and cons on both sides of the issue, I've decided to make the main site English-only, and will be making changes and announcements to that effect.

The biggest reason is the difficulty in moderating that area when discussion is in a different language. It makes detecting the presence of threats, etc. more difficult.

It has also created a subcommunity that interacts almost entirely with itself over there, and doesn't convert into participation here on the board, meaningful donations to the site, or more CD submissions.

Given the comments from some of the regulars in this thread about their reluctance to use that functionality of the web site, I have to ask myself the following:

By adding the translation tool from Spanish <-> English and encouraging the posting of Spanish comments, am I actually doing a disservice to the intended target audience of Heavy Harmonies: English speakers, predominantly American, by unwittingly making their user experience more hostile?

I think the answer is yes.

It was a mistake and it's time to fix it.

-Dan

I believe this is the best thing to do... for the good of the website and the HH community in general. I hope with your reasons you give the members can accept your decision and understand that the decision was made to keep HH at the top of heap as one of the webs best sources of this genre.

As one member said... The Spanish speaking posters seem to have no problem reading the sight in English, therefor they shouldn't have much of a problem responding in English.

Dan....Thanks for this improvement. :headbanger:

OK, since I was one of the ones who voiced my displeasure at the Spanish posts taking over the Comments Section, I thought it only fair that I go back and post there now that it has reverted to English-only. However, I was under the impression that we now had 1000 words for our comments, yet when I posted my comments for Jaded Reign, it only displayed the first 500 I wrote. Has this "1000 characters" function been activated yet, or are we still limited to 500?

Senor Dan, help me, por favor. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :P )

OK, since I was one of the ones who voiced my displeasure at the Spanish posts taking over the Comments Section, I thought it only fair that I go back and post there now that it has reverted to English-only. However, I was under the impression that we now had 1000 words for our comments, yet when I posted my comments for Jaded Reign, it only displayed the first 500 I wrote. Has this "1000 characters" function been activated yet, or are we still limited to 500?

The number of allowed characters is actually a sliding scale from 500 to 1000 based on an evaluation of your previous comments, and how much value to the community they are.

Note to self: make minimum lower....

;)

The number of allowed characters is actually a sliding scale from 500 to 1000 based on an evaluation of your previous comments, and how much value to the community they are.

;)

Ouch. That's harsh. :unsure: Hey, did I tell you that I finally scraped enough spare cash together to buy one CD and I decided to buy Crazy Lixx: "Loud Minority" instead of Rockarma: "Bring it!"? :gun3:

;)

Ouch. That's harsh. :unsure: Hey, did I tell you that I finally scraped enough spare cash together to buy one CD and I decided to buy Crazy Lixx: "Loud Minority" instead of Rockarma: "Bring it!"? :gun3:

Oh that's very nice... I am very sad now. :crying:

Maybe some nice Spanish people will buy it instead....

;)

You started it. :joust:

;)

You started it. :joust:

Uh... hehe... Uh... it was some other kids...

• 1 month later...

Вы не желаете вас сумели как прочитать русский язык? После этого вы знали бы я писал около. Oh наилучшим образом, некоторые людей как раз не может получить его правым.....

Вы не желаете вас сумели как прочитать русский язык? После этого вы знали бы я писал около. Oh наилучшим образом, некоторые людей как раз не может получить его правым.....

Ummmm... yea, I couldn't agree more. :whistle:

I cannot believe you just said that about Keef's mother...

:yikes: Say wha? You must have used a different online translator than I did...

:yikes: Say wha? You must have used a different online translator than I did...

*Hands Keef a baseball bat, pointing to Delbert's knees* You know what to do Bro.. :whistle: