"Anvil! The True Story of Anvil" Movie

Fat Freddy

Anvil posted on their Facebook page that as of right now, they're only opening a couple of Priest/Whitesnake dates in the Midwest. It would be cool if they eventually got added to the entire tour.

Did anyone that's seen the 'Get Thrashed' DVD notice the comments on Anvil?

I can't remember who said it but the statement was something to the effect of "they could do a whole movie on Anvil".

I find that hilarious since that comment was waaaay before the Anvil movie was being made.

Ian Christie said it...if you watch the DVD he's laughing when he says

it..kinda like he's knows a little more than he's telling :banger:

I can't remember who said it but the statement was something to the effect of "they could do a whole movie on Anvil".

I find that hilarious since that comment was waaaay before the Anvil movie was being made.

He probably did know something.

His 'Sound of the Beast' book is great and even mentions Anvil in there quite a bit.

His 'Sound of the Beast' book is great and even mentions Anvil in there quite a bit.

Yeah I read it a few years ago..he does mention Anvil a lot!! :banger:

I wish he's write another book and focus on just one band or one subgenre.

I'd love to see a Thrash Metal or Power Metal book. :tumbsup:

I wish he's write another book and focus on just one band or one subgenre.

I'd love to see a Thrash Metal or Power Metal book. :tumbsup:

Backed ..one on Power Metal would be cool... :banger:

• 3 months later...

Wow, its weird that you guys aint got it yet.

It came out here in June, and there was even a double disc version with a CD called This is thirteen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anvil-Story-CD-DVD...9947&sr=1-2

Wow, its weird that you guys aint got it yet.

It came out here in June, and there was even a double disc version with a CD called This is thirteen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anvil-Story-CD-DVD...9947&sr=1-2

That's because VH1 isn't done milking the movie on the art-house and indie film festival circuit yet in the US :lol:

Strangely for such an "unknown" movie, this got a hell of a lot of advertising over here when it came out on tv.

At one point you couldnt go more than an hour on certain channels without seeing the advert at least four times!

A lot of people I know bought it even though they had never even heard of the band!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Anvil: The Story of Anvil" makes its U.S. television debut tonight at 10 on VH1 Classic. The DVD comes out on Tuesday. I'll be watchin'! :beerbang:

Watched "ANVIL: The Story of Anvil" last night. Really enjoyed it. Lips and Robb Reiner truly seem like nice guys. I gotta say that Lips is one of the most positive thinkers I've ever seen. Even though he and his band have spent the last 20+ years being repeatedly shit on by the music industry he has never thought about throwing in the towel and keeps pushing to realize his dream. If I were in a band and went through half of the crap that Anvil experiences in this movie (keeping in mind that they've been putting up with endless variations on that same crap for the past two decades!) I probably would've said "fuck it" and shot up a Burger King a long time ago.

It was heartwarming, it was sad, it was funny, it rocks. Even if you've never heard of Anvil, you need to see this movie.

Did anyone see Anvil last night on Conan O'Brien? After the interview they played Metal On Metal. I bet half the audience was appalled. I thought it was killer! You could tell Lips was enjoying every minute of it.

Did anyone see Anvil last night on Conan O'Brien? After the interview they played Metal On Metal. I bet half the audience was appalled. I thought it was killer! You could tell Lips was enjoying every minute of it.

Yep, I saw it. I usually don't watch Conan O'Brien but I made an exception in this case. It was killer!

KISS were on David Letterman last night as well. It was the most hard rockin' night of late-night TV I have ever seen!

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw this and it's just awesome.

I know they are now touring the movie starting in January where the movie is shown to the audience and then the band come out and plays a concert.

The new disc "This is Thirteen" just kicks ass IMO. I just picked it up along with "Metal on Metal" and their autobiography that was just released.

I sure hope their old albums get the reissue treatment to give these guys the potential to make some money and help them along even further.

Just looking over at the their site http://www.anvilmetal.com/?page_id=30 and it appears that in their discography that they are working on a new one already(it was mentioned in the closing credits to the movie as well) and they had some type of tribute album planned of bands that were inpired by Anvil but from the looks of it that was cancelled.

Discography

Albums

HARD ‘N’ HEAVY 1981 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl, picture disc

METAL ON METAL 1982 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl, picture disc

FORGED IN FIRE 1983 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl

BACKWAXED 1985 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl

STRENGTH OF STEEL 1987 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl

POUND FOR POUND 1988 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl

PAST AND PRESENT – LIVE IN CONCERT 1989 LINE-UP #1 CD, cassette, vinyl

WORTH THE WEIGHT 1991 LINE-UP #2 CD, cassette

PLUGGED IN PERMANENT 1996 LINE-UP #4 CD, digipak, picture disc

ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE 1997 LINE-UP #5 CD

SPEED OF SOUND 1998 LINE-UP #5 CD, digipak, vinyl

ANTHOLOGY OF ANVIL 2000 LINE-UP #1, #2, #4 and #5 CD

PLENTY OF POWER 2001 LINE-UP #5 CD, vinyl

STILL GOING STRONG 2002 LINE-UP #5 CD, vinyl

BACK TO BASICS 2004 LINE-UP #5 CD

THIS IS THIRTEEN 2007 LINE-UP #5,#6 CD, vinyl

MUSIC FROM AND INSPIRED BY ANVIL! THE STORY OF ANVIL 2009

cancelled LINE-UP #1, #2, #4, #5 and #6 CD

JUGGERNAUT OF JUSTICE 20?? LINE-UP #6 CD

• 11 months later...

Just watched this and had to find the thread - too good for just a brief mention in the 'Last Movie You Watched' thread.

An incredible film, I absolutely loved it. Heartbreaking at times, heartwarming at others, but always gripping. Great guys, who really love the music. Despite all the shit they've had to put up with, their passion and enthusiasm is amazing, inspirational even. I'll definitely be getting the 'This Is Thirteen' CD, it sounds great. In fact, that's another thread I can bump...

• 4 years later...

Just like James in the post above i had to see if there is a thread on here about it. Watched this at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Inspiring stuff. I wonder how they are doing now.