ROCKARMA reviews

66 mustang

Hey there, just wanted to post this blog re: Jim's post at the beginning of this thread. very cool stuff by the way Jim, hope you're okay with us reposting it for the world to see!

NEW BRING IT REVIEW!

Hey Folks....!

We are truckin along today and want to share a KICK ASS REVIEW! Now this review is "special" to us. As it didnt come from a website, a magazine , journalist etc etc etc. It came from a dude just like us!! Someone that pre ordered our cd during the holiday season, and waited with baited breath like lil Ralphie on christmas morning. In the end it seems we did not disappoint (or shoot his eye out) Heres Jim in VA review of ROCKARMA "Bring It!"

here it is , the good bad and ugly from the Rockarma album "Bring It!"

1. BADJUNE - good song to kick off the album with. I like the flow and feel of the song. reminds me a bit of AdrianGale meets Danger Danger.

2. BETWEEN YOU N ME - If I had to pick "the best" on the album this song would be it (as of right now). Great melody, great lyrics that just get stuck in your head. The vocals fit so perfect to this style it is scary. love the guitar work. This reminds me of what is so great about 80's AOR / Hardrock mix. I've listened to this so many times all I hear is Rockarma.

3. ALL 4 YOU - this really reminds me of what was really good about the band Slaughter. This has a nice Slaughter style feel to it, not their fly to the angels type ballad but more of the "gave me your heart" style of mid-tempo grooving song. continues with the really good start to the album. again vocals and guitar fit great.

4. GET ME OUTTA THIS HOLE - the first song I'm not crazy about on the album. about 2 minutes into the song it really takes off but then it is over. The song takes too long to hook me into it and is one of my least listen to songs so far. maybe it is a grower.

5. I KNOW - back to the standard of the first 3 songs. Great melody, nice vocals, good guitar. Very Catchy like the early Danger Danger or Firehouse albums. Their is a band on the tip of my tougue that sounds a lot like this song but I just can not place it right now and it is killing me.

6. MISSING YOU - starts out like a Stryper styled song then into pure melodic joy. This reminds me of something that would have been huge on MTv back in the day. would have made it on Dial Mtv along side of Every Rose, Heaven, I Remember You, Love Bites, Up All Night, Love Of A Lifetime...... I just love this song.

7. BRING IT - heavier, more driving straight up rock. Almost should have been the opening track on the cd. Reminds me a lot of AdrianGale styled rock. the only thing that distracts me is the vocals feel a bit out style with the song. what I mean is the rhythem feels like it needs a bit more of a grittier, bluesed up style of vocal to really make the track stand out.

8. HERE AFTER - Pete might kill me but I love this song and it has such a Trixter feel to it at times. love the acoustic guitar throughout the song. Nice power ballad. my daughter is dancing to it as I type these words.

9. FEELS LIKE I'M FALLIN - just a good as any other song on the disc. I was expecting it to start falling off by this time but am very well pleased with the quality of the songs at the end of the disc.

10. LETS GO - Wow, this remines me of AC/DC, X-Sinner and Idle Cure rolled up into one song. this is the vocal sound that would have made the song Bring It stand out for me.

11. THATS ALL - again, I was expecting a song that was a lot less by the end of the album but again am pleased with the quality of songs at the end of the album.

12. SAME OL' SONG - wow, getting into a Tora Tora style feel here again the vocals get a bit more dirty for this song that screams blues rock metal. Guitar work again is great.

my total point score for this album ? I'd have to give it a 93% out of 100. easy one of the top 5 rock albums I've bought this past year GREAT JOB to everyone who had a hand in this album from the players to the producers and the label and those who had the belief that people still crave this kind of music. ..

Sounds Terrible :whistle:

I've spun the Rockarma CD a bunch of times but I'll save my full-on commentary for when I write the disc up for Detrtius zine. For now, all I'm gonna say is "Me likee. Nice job, Pete." :lol:

Hey there, just wanted to post this blog re: Jim's post at the beginning of this thread. very cool stuff by the way Jim, hope you're okay with us reposting it for the world to see!

NEW BRING IT REVIEW!

Hey Folks....!

We are truckin along today and want to share a KICK ASS REVIEW! Now this review is "special" to us. As it didnt come from a website, a magazine , journalist etc etc etc. It came from a dude just like us!! Someone that pre ordered our cd during the holiday season, and waited with baited breath like lil Ralphie on christmas morning. In the end it seems we did not disappoint (or shoot his eye out) Heres Jim in VA review of ROCKARMA "Bring It!"

1. BADJUNE - good song to kick off the album with. I like the flow and feel of the song. reminds me a bit of AdrianGale meets Danger Danger.

2. BETWEEN YOU N ME - If I had to pick "the best" on the album this song would be it (as of right now). Great melody, great lyrics that just get stuck in your head. The vocals fit so perfect to this style it is scary. love the guitar work. This reminds me of what is so great about 80's AOR / Hardrock mix. I've listened to this so many times all I hear is Rockarma.

3. ALL 4 YOU - this really reminds me of what was really good about the band Slaughter. This has a nice Slaughter style feel to it, not their fly to the angels type ballad but more of the "gave me your heart" style of mid-tempo grooving song. continues with the really good start to the album. again vocals and guitar fit great.

4. GET ME OUTTA THIS HOLE - the first song I'm not crazy about on the album. about 2 minutes into the song it really takes off but then it is over. The song takes too long to hook me into it and is one of my least listen to songs so far. maybe it is a grower.

5. I KNOW - back to the standard of the first 3 songs. Great melody, nice vocals, good guitar. Very Catchy like the early Danger Danger or Firehouse albums. Their is a band on the tip of my tougue that sounds a lot like this song but I just can not place it right now and it is killing me.

6. MISSING YOU - starts out like a Stryper styled song then into pure melodic joy. This reminds me of something that would have been huge on MTv back in the day. would have made it on Dial Mtv along side of Every Rose, Heaven, I Remember You, Love Bites, Up All Night, Love Of A Lifetime...... I just love this song.

7. BRING IT - heavier, more driving straight up rock. Almost should have been the opening track on the cd. Reminds me a lot of AdrianGale styled rock. the only thing that distracts me is the vocals feel a bit out style with the song. what I mean is the rhythem feels like it needs a bit more of a grittier, bluesed up style of vocal to really make the track stand out.

8. HERE AFTER - Pete might kill me but I love this song and it has such a Trixter feel to it at times. love the acoustic guitar throughout the song. Nice power ballad. my daughter is dancing to it as I type these words.

9. FEELS LIKE I'M FALLIN - just a good as any other song on the disc. I was expecting it to start falling off by this time but am very well pleased with the quality of the songs at the end of the disc.

10. LETS GO - Wow, this remines me of AC/DC, X-Sinner and Idle Cure rolled up into one song. this is the vocal sound that would have made the song Bring It stand out for me.

11. THATS ALL - again, I was expecting a song that was a lot less by the end of the album but again am pleased with the quality of songs at the end of the album.

12. SAME OL' SONG - wow, getting into a Tora Tora style feel here again the vocals get a bit more dirty for this song that screams blues rock metal. Guitar work again is great.

my total point score for this album ? I'd have to give it a 93% out of 100. easy one of the top 5 rock albums I've bought this past year GREAT JOB to everyone who had a hand in this album from the players to the producers and the label and those who had the belief that people still crave this kind of music. ..

Sounds Terrible :whistle:

Yes, I think you'll hate it. :headbanger:

I'm currently trying to convince Captain Howdy to get the album, but i dont think its his cup of tea..

Hmm, I wouldn't think it would be that far off. Maybe not quite as sleazy as Tigertailz, but what do I know? :)

NEW BRING IT REVIEW!

Hey Folks....!

I feel honored. Glad you felt the review was worth posting.

I want to post a review worth posting too!! I'm hoping it's in my mailbox today. Pete, in my review if I comment on the sexy underpants you wore as you recorded this album will it still get published?

NEW BRING IT REVIEW!

Hey Folks....!

I feel honored. Glad you felt the review was worth posting.

It's all you brother, it was mostly positive, but not only that it was well thought out, and written by someone with a true knowledge and love of the genre. :drink:

I want to post a review worth posting too!! I'm hoping it's in my mailbox today. Pete, in my review if I comment on the sexy underpants you wore as you recorded this album will it still get published?

Busted! I never wear underpants... oh wait, you mean the ones I wear on my head to protect myself from the cosmic rays? Okay, maybe they are just a little sexy... :anon:

Busted! I never wear underpants... oh wait, you mean the ones I wear on my head to protect myself from the cosmic rays? Okay, maybe they are just a little sexy... :anon:

A little sexy?! Do you remember me taking a shower every 14 minutes? I wasn't that dirty, dude.

Or am... I mean was I?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a rough draft of the review I wrote for Rockarma's BRING IT, which I will be sending in to Detritus e-zine tomorrow after a bit more tweaking:

ROCKARMA - BRING IT! ( B ) Kivel Records, 2008

12 Tracks, RT:

Sitting down to review this disc caused me to battle some personal demons at first. I know one of the band members (guitarist Pete Fry, a fellow Jersey boy and a good friend from the "Heavy Harmonies" message board) personally, so I had a lot of thinking to do before I even pressed "play" on BRING IT!... if I gave the album a rave review, would people then accuse me of kissing the band's ass because of my ever-so-slight personal connection to them? Even worse, if I hated the disc, would Pete come to my house (he only lives about an hour and a half away from me) and kick my ass? Betcha you didn't know that amateur music critics like me ever had these kind of troubles, huh? Finally I simply asked myself, "Would I like this disc even if I didn't know Pete played on it?" and the answer came back a resounding YES. For the uninitiated, Rockarma is a Canadian melodic rock band (Pete is a new recruit) that continues in the tradition of '80s arena-rock forefathers like Firehouse, Dokken, Stryper, Winger, Cinderella, Slaughter, et cetera, et cetera (the list could go on and on). As a result, BRING IT (their second album) sounds like it fell out of a time capsule straight from 1988. You won't find any "modern rock" influences on BRING IT, and that's just fine by me, brother! The band is tight, vocalist Damon Kelly sounds like a combination of C.J. Snare (Firehouse) and Robin Zander (Cheap Trick), and the songs are straight-up catchy, pop-edged hard rock anthems -- the kind of stuff we all grooved to on the radio back in the day. My favorite tracks were "Get Me Outta This Hole" (the guitar work in this one is pure George Lynch), "Let's Go" (a crunchy track with a groove similar to JetBoy's "Feel The Shake") and the tender "Missing You" (which isn't a cover of the John Waite AOR classic, by the way, even though that would've been pretty cool; it's actually closer to Stryper's "Always There For You"), but nearly all of these songs had me humming along after only a few spins. BRING IT! is simply a fun listen all the way through and it provided a much needed, very pleasant break from all the B-list metalcore, thrash and hardcore CDs I've been reviewing around here lately. This one comes highly recommended to anyone out there who misses the commercial hard rock sound of the late '80s golden era. Do yourself (and my friend Pete) a favor and buy several copies! :) -- Keith Abt

By the way, Pete, potentially stupid question (is there any other kind coming from me?) -- the little cartoon guy with the mallet on the cover of BRING IT! -- is he the band's mascot, like Iron Maiden's "Eddie?" If so, does he have a name?

Just curious. :)

By the way, Pete, potentially stupid question (is there any other kind coming from me?) -- the little cartoon guy with the mallet on the cover of BRING IT! -- is he the band's mascot, like Iron Maiden's "Eddie?" If so, does he have a name?

I'm actually not sure... perhaps John will see this message and enlighten us... hint, hint...

• 2 months later...

allright Geoff, what do you think of the album?

It's excellent. I've commented on it quite a lot on the boards. I might try a more detailed review soon, but there is some killer stuff on this.

I wouldnt call him a mascot in the same sense as EDDIE. However, we may recycle him now and then. Maybe more in the Allister Feind sense, where as Motley didnt utilize him in the same capacity as Maiden did with Eddie. Who knows...maybe you will never see him again either. LOL. What do YOU think of our lil guy with the bad attitude? His name is Bugsy btw and is likely to put his cigar out on persons face right before whacking them with his KARMA stick. He just wants to be loved...:-)

oh....Damon of ROCKARMA, as of last week commited Bugsy to his shouldar!!

John

KIVEL RECORDS

allright Geoff, what do you think of the album?

It's excellent. I've commented on it quite a lot on the boards. I might try a more detailed review soon, but there is some killer stuff on this.

THANKS GEOFF!!! GLAD YOU DIG IT!!! Look fwd to your review

JK

I'm sure you guys noticed on the third track All 4 You the drummer has cow bell, it seems to be a lost art these days.

And not just because it's Rockarma, but I always loved cowbell... :banger:

Rockarma has a FEVER, and the ONLY prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!

97937348_bad6967538.jpg

WFcowbell.gif

• 4 years later...

my total point score for this album ? I'd have to give it a 93% out of 100. easy one of the top 5 rock albums I've bought this past year GREAT JOB to everyone who had a hand in this album from the players to the producers and the label and those who had the belief that people still crave this kind of music.

went outside, mowed some grass before it rains again (after spending 2 weeks in awful HOT temps and drout conditions) it has rained all week. had my MP3 player and a bunch of songs I did know but didn't know who was the band right off. finally got the best of me and had to look. Shotgun Alli it was. then some Journey, Firehouse then Rockarma. So after grass is mowed I find my Rockarma cd and take a listen while in the shower. I stand by my review. great album and I will even add that Get Me Outta This Hole has not grown on me but at the time I wrote the review my dislike for the song covered up the FANTASTIC guitar work on this song.

that is all for my update!!!! :whistle:

Killer disc. A handful of really amazing songs from recent years on this disc. 'Between you and me,' 'All for you,' 'I know,' 'Missing you.' 'Bring it,' 'Hereafter,' and 'Feels like I'm falling' are the type of songs I like to hear when I play a CD.

my total point score for this album ? I'd have to give it a 93% out of 100. easy one of the top 5 rock albums I've bought this past year GREAT JOB to everyone who had a hand in this album from the players to the producers and the label and those who had the belief that people still crave this kind of music.

went outside, mowed some grass before it rains again (after spending 2 weeks in awful HOT temps and drout conditions) it has rained all week. had my MP3 player and a bunch of songs I did know but didn't know who was the band right off. finally got the best of me and had to look. Shotgun Alli it was. then some Journey, Firehouse then Rockarma. So after grass is mowed I find my Rockarma cd and take a listen while in the shower. I stand by my review. great album and I will even add that Get Me Outta This Hole has not grown on me but at the time I wrote the review my dislike for the song covered up the FANTASTIC guitar work on this song.

that is all for my update!!!! :whistle:

"Get Me Outta This Hole" is still my favorite track off this fantastic album. :) Too bad it appears Damon has fallen off the face of the earth, I would love to hear a new album from Rockarma.