Stone Gods

zacharyamelie

well i saw em, and they kicked ass!

cept Dan, he was probably quite drunk towards the end....but Richie (the singer) is a great guy, hung out with him for about 10 minutes in the car park, he's one of these guys that really has time for fans.....hasnt let the semi-fame go to his head yet (like Dan Hawkins seems to have..)

The album reminds me a little of 'Bite Down Hard' from Britny Fox, for whatever reason.

So that's what Tommy Paris/Don Jillson is up to these days, singing for Stone Gods! Damn does that sound like him or what? The first 4 tracks here absolutely smoke. After that they change gears and offer up a bunch of songs in a row that sound like Rod Stewart cast offs. Up until that point I was sold, now I'm not so sure.

Backed 100% mate. There are some really, really oddball songs in there, hey - they just don't belong, or fit in the mix. But I think in the end the majority is pretty good hard rock. Not sure what they were doing with that weird crap, though. Glad to see you picked the Tommy Paris thing too - I'm always so alone with comparisons like that. :(

The album reminds me a little of 'Bite Down Hard' from Britny Fox, for whatever reason.

So that's what Tommy Paris/Don Jillson is up to these days, singing for Stone Gods! Damn does that sound like him or what? The first 4 tracks here absolutely smoke. After that they change gears and offer up a bunch of songs in a row that sound like Rod Stewart cast offs. Up until that point I was sold, now I'm not so sure.

Backed 100% mate. There are some really, really oddball songs in there, hey - they just don't belong, or fit in the mix. But I think in the end the majority is pretty good hard rock. Not sure what they were doing with that weird crap, though. Glad to see you picked the Tommy Paris thing too - I'm always so alone with comparisons like that. :(

Dont Drink The Water and O Whereo My Beero come to mind....

both were kinda oddball on the album, but actually kicked ass live! one of thosethings i guess....

we came out thegig and my bro was saying how his fave song was Dont Drink The Water, then he heard the studio version and changed his mind, said it was "only their best live"

I just love 'You Brought A Knife To A Gunfight' - probably my favourite song title in a long, long time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Didn't realize there was another thread. I did a search and nothing came up. Sorry.

• 6 years later...

Well, colour me impressed. I've been lucky enough to get my ears on an advance copy of the debut full release from Stone Gods, 'Silver Spoons And Broken Bones'. And I have to say I am impressed.

I've never made any secret of the fact that I think The Darkness were a f*cking heap of shit band which didn't deserve the attention of the steam from my urine... but Stone Gods is a different story. It's amazing what a decent voice, a beefier sound and some good songs can do.

There are a couple of really out of place fillers (but luckily it is literally only a couple - well, maybe as much as 3 or 4 even, but not too much) but overall this is good solid hard rock that is going to hit the spot for traditionalists. The album reminds me a little of 'Bite Down Hard' from Britny Fox, for whatever reason.

The two songs off the EP, 'Burn The Witch' and the killer 'You Brought A Knife To A Gunfight' set the scene for most the disc, except, as I said, a few odd fillers. Overall I can see a huge portion of these songs hitting the mark with many viewers of this site - might be one of the surprises of 2008. Good solid hard rock.

Track list is:

1. Burn The Witch 4:44

2. Don't Drink The Water 2:47

3. Defend Or Die 4:58

4. You Brought A Knife To A Gunfight 3:07

5. Magdalene Street 3:56

6. Where You Coming From 3:12

7. Lazy Bones 3:57

8. I'm With The Band 4:17

9. Start Of Something 3:29

10. Making It Hard 3:12

11. Wasting Time 3:24