New Stryper Album

Fat Freddy

• My Little Pony
Sounds like some killer (well, killer might be too strong a word) mixed with some filler.

That pretty much describes any Stryper album aside from YELLOW & BLACK ATTACK and AGAINST THE LAW. :lol:

Yep, but so long as the killer is good then the filler ain't so bad.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. I wasn't dissin', I'm actually quite the Stryper fan (with the exception of REBORN, which did nothin' for me), I was just sayin'.

• My Little Pony

That's true. I wasn't dissin', I'm actually quite the Stryper fan (with the exception of REBORN, which did nothin' for me), I was just sayin'.

Oh, I'm a fan, but I'm also a little more realistic than some. I mean Stryper gets a lot of praise, regardless of all the filler, whereas other great bands in the same vein go unnoticed.

• 5 weeks later...

I hope the new Stryper disc is musically better than the awful cover. WTF is that when it's at home?? Artist Mr. Rangel wants fucking shooting in my opinion :puke:

murderbyprideart.jpg

I hope the new Stryper disc is musically better than the awful cover. WTF is that when it's at home?? Artist Mr. Rangel wants fucking shooting in my opinion :puke:

murderbyprideart.jpg

Woof, yea, that's godawful ain't it? The scary thing is that this was picked as a winner in a "design the cover" contest they held on their web site. I'd hate to see what the rejects looked like if this is the winner.

That's almost as bad as the REBORN cover, with the band members all covered in yellow and black goo. It looked like they'd been thru an explosion at the French's Mustard factory. :lol:

murderbyprideart.jpg

Woof, yea, that's godawful ain't it? The scary thing is that this was picked as a winner in a "design the cover" contest they held on their web site. I'd hate to see what the rejects looked like if this is the winner.

That's almost as bad as the REBORN cover, with the band members all covered in yellow and black goo. It looked like they'd been thru an explosion at the French's Mustard factory. :lol:

I actually really liked Reborn and thought it was really clever. Murder by pride however.... is AWFUL!

murderbyprideart.jpg

I actually really liked Reborn and thought it was really clever. Murder by pride however.... is AWFUL!

Btw that mouth is some really bad photoshopping...

What's wrong with the cover?

In my opinion, nothing is wrong. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, as they say. I don't have any problem with the cover of the latest X Sinner either, despite several on this board taking shots at it.

What I care about is the music. Groups should never care as much about the cover as they do the music, and neither should we, as far as I am concerned. After all, this is supposed to be a MUSIC board, isn't it? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
What's wrong with the cover?

In my opinion, nothing is wrong. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, as they say.

I'm with you guys, so I guess that makes a whopping 3 of us that don't see anything wrong with the cover. No, it's not the greatest album art of all time and certainly doesn't belong in a museum next to the Mona Lisa, but it's perfectly serviceable.

Eh, whatever. It really comes down to the music, and that's what I'm waiting for. Based on the samples, I expect a couple of duds, some decent filler, and a handful of really great tunes. In other words, a typical Stryper album. :band:

murderbyprideart.jpg

I just think the dude looks like he's about to heave... like he had some bad chili or somethin'... :puke:

murderbyprideart.jpg

I just think the dude looks like he's about to heave... like he had some bad chili or somethin'... :puke:

Or maybe he has heard the new stryper album in full. :whistle:

I actually like the cover... Those usual yellow and black covers were getting old anyway.

I thought "Reborn" was a very solid release and I hope this is the same. I'll be getting this one for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with the cover. Looks Classic 80s Metal and there is nothing wrong with that. On the otherhand, if they put space ships shooting flying jesus dwarves dressed in spacesuits on the cover. I am sure people would complain about that also. So to each his own opinion.

• 5 months later...

Been listening to this the past couple of days, and it is another awesome Stryper album.

Like Geoff mentioned all those months ago, the earlier albums had some great tunes on them, and were often let down somewhat by the other songs, often (once again, as Geoff said) the ballads.

For me, the first album by them that I would say was the most consistant was IGWT, and featured probably their first decent ballad (I believe in you), but it was with Against the law that they came into their own, beefing up their sound, toning down the image and preachy lyrics, and writing a bunch of songs that were filler free (hell, even the cover song is great on that one) and producing their best ballad to date, Lady.

They then did two more great songs on the Cant stop the Rock CD, which promised that their next album would be as great as ATL (some of the songs were later recorded for the Sin Dizzy album, and were pretty damn cool for the most part), but that was it.

Reborn (and the new tracks on 7) were never gonna be to everyones taste, but the song writing on it, production and music, to my ears, was fantastic.

As I said before, it was actually close to toppling ATL as my fave Stryper CD, but in the end, it couldnt quite do it.

Now onto this new album, and it certainly is a return to the older stylings, but for me it sits somewhere between IGWT and ATL. Not quite as heavy as ATL but certainly heavier that IGWT.

Once again, a superb set of songs, with nothing that lets it down for me. The ballad 'Alive' is a great song, and is obviously something that could have easily appeared on a Michael Sweet solo album, as I think its certainly more Michael than Stryper, per se.

The mans voice just gets better and better with age.

I would actually put this one down as number 3 in my list of top Stryper albums, just below Reborn.

While I am not one to moan about christian lyrics, I do believe that their improvement certainly came when they toned the lyrics down. They message is still there for those that want to hear it, but the lyrics could so easily be interpreted in different ways.

I am certainly not a religious person, but I simply believe good songs are good songs, and pity any rock fan who would avoid an album like this just because its 'Christian Rock'.

This isnt a great christian rock album, its a great rock album...period!