Dirty Penny - Take It Sleazy

whiplash1972

check their myspace. i had a bit of a listen yesterday.

they're good, but to me the image doesn;t fit the music. They look trashy but sound polished from the samples I heard.

Excellent, sounds good to me!!

but what I think is polished and what you think is polished are completely different things i think.

Possibly, but I still look forward to hearing these guys. You consider Dirty Penny polished? I believe they're polished as hell. And I like it.

DP cd definitely polished sound. Whether or not they are 'polished' live I'm not sure.

They havea sleazy sound, but polished (even over polished at times). I like that style of music a bit rawer, which is maybe where our differing opinions come into it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check their myspace. i had a bit of a listen yesterday.

they're good, but to me the image doesn;t fit the music. They look trashy but sound polished from the samples I heard.

Wow, definitely hear what you mean by polished. Man, these guys sound amazing. I see what Sam is saying about Def Leppard too - man, listen to those backing vocals! And the guitar here in 'For so long'... WOW! What a great song.

'I wanna get it on' is straight off a Def Lep disc.

Haha... that intro to 'Open up your eyes' is pretty much Hysteria. :lol: Wow, these guys really do sound like Def Leppard... really. What a great song too. This and 'For so long' are the highlights for me.

Cannot wait to hear a disc from these guys. They're honestly close to edging out BB Steal and Loudlion for Def Leppard comparisons. Man, this track too, 'Soldier of love' is pure 'Pyromania' Def Leppard. Awesome stuff.

Wow, long time ago but I honestly don't remember it taking too long. I noticed today it is stocked at CD Baby too...

• 1 year later...

Just bought this CD off eBay and it came in a card sleeve, which was not mentioned by the seller. I queried this, and have been told that: "this release was never released in a jewel case version and will never be". Please could someone confirm whether this is true? I see that some people in this thread have got their CD in a card sleeve, but there are mentions of jewel case too. I'm don't mind the CD in a card sleeve, but just wanted to check as I would have expected to see in the item description that there is no booklet, etc. I do think $7 shipping from the USA to the UK for such a light item is pretty outrageous though!

Never released in a jewel case. When I bought mine I actually emailed them and asked if they had a different version I be willing to pay more for. Whoever manages their website replied and said something like "the boys are just starting out, being their first cd this is all they could afford"

Their second release is in a slightly better package, digipak type casing minus all the good stuff (I think). Great CD, even better than the first IMO.

Thanks Jeff, good to know. Still surprised it wasn't mentioned in the listing and the reason given for the $7 postage fee was that it is the "standard rate", which to me just means it's a rip off.

Second CD seems to be very highly rated, but also very expensive. Strange as it only came out last year. Would it be high in your 2007 list?

Thanks Jeff, good to know. Still surprised it wasn't mentioned in the listing and the reason given for the $7 postage fee was that it is the "standard rate", which to me just means it's a rip off.

Second CD seems to be very highly rated, but also very expensive. Strange as it only came out last year. Would it be high in your 2007 list?

Yup only released in that crappy sleeve but a good cd but to my ears the second disc was much better but some thing it's not as good. I think you can get it on amazon or even cdbaby for a cheap price but not sure about the shipping.

Oh yeah, second one is very good. I'd say this, if you like the first one you should very much like the second one. Send them an email directly at their website. That is where I ordered both of mine each time and if I did email them somebody always responded (website manager or maybe their manager, not sure). Anyway, it is $10 USD (about 7 or 8 euro?) for each CD directly from them, not too bad IMO.

http://www.dirtypennysucks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

And I double checked just so you know, Young & Reckless does come in a digipak style jewel case which is done very nice, BUT no inserts, lyrics or anything. It just opens up with a band pic on the inside and their names and that's about it....better then the slipcase though!

Apparently they are in search of a new singer!

Yea I saw he left the band earlier this week.

It's strange how many of these newer Sleaze bands are having trouble keeping lead singers.

It's a shame how many bands struggle with their singers...although in case of Dirty Penny I think there's room for improvement as I have always been put off by Binge's voice :unsure:

It's strange how many of these newer Sleaze bands are having trouble keeping lead singers.

It's a shame how many bands struggle with their singers...although in case of Dirty Penny I think there's room for improvement as I have always been put off by Binge's voice :unsure:

I agree with you on DP that they could become an even better band if they could find a better singer.

Crashdiet - has actually found the perfect frontman IMO now with Simon although Dave Lepard was awesome but Simon is better for sleaze than Ollie is/was.

Vains of Jenna - Didn't love the first album and didn't love the first singer but havne't heard anything from the new guy yet.

Babylon Bombs - I think these guys lost their singer recently as well and I liked them so we'll see what happens.

For some reason I thought there were some more sleaze bands with missing or new singers but I can't think of any. On the AOR front we had the change in the band HEAT.

I agree with you on DP that they could become an even better band if they could find a better singer.

Crashdiet - has actually found the perfect frontman IMO now with Simon although Dave Lepard was awesome but Simon is better for sleaze than Ollie is/was.

Vains of Jenna - Didn't love the first album and didn't love the first singer but havne't heard anything from the new guy yet.

Babylon Bombs - I think these guys lost their singer recently as well and I liked them so we'll see what happens.

For some reason I thought there were some more sleaze bands with missing or new singers but I can't think of any. On the AOR front we had the change in the band HEAT.

Absolutely agree with you on Crashdiet! Simon seems to fit right in perfectly and "Generation Wild" is a superb album.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Jesse Forte is the much better singer for VoJ. Seen them in May and thought they were great, so I am really looking forward to what they can come up with.

Babylon Bombs have split up unfortunately...seems it didn't work out with the new guy.

Backwash (Swiss band, which released their excellent debut "Kick ass" back in 2006 :D ) have broken up with their singer recently...too bad.

H.E.A.T. could turn out very well too! :guitbannana:

Heaven's Basement lost their singer as well! Not easy to replace as he had a very unique voice imo.

Absolutely agree with you on Crashdiet! Simon seems to fit right in perfectly and "Generation Wild" is a superb album.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Jesse Forte is the much better singer for VoJ. Seen them in May and thought they were great, so I am really looking forward to what they can come up with.

Babylon Bombs have split up unfortunately...seems it didn't work out with the new guy.

Backwash (Swiss band, which released their excellent debut "Kick ass" back in 2006 :D ) have broken up with their singer recently...too bad.

H.E.A.T. could turn out very well too! :guitbannana:

Heaven's Basement lost their singer as well! Not easy to replace as he had a very unique voice imo.

The Heaven's Basement break up was the worst for me as I love those guys.

It's just to bad they keep changing their name and starting over because they are a great band IMO.

I remember that Backwash disc, it was pretty good, but I didn't know what was going on with them.

I have to agree... After seeing Dirty Penny a couple times last summer I would have to say that Binge's voice is pretty much shot. I had seen them in 2009 and the vocals were much better... I was amazed at what a difference a year made. I'm not sure if he just didn't take care of his voice or if the type of vocals just put too much of a strain on the voice. Either way.. His voice was awful last summer (and I saw them a couple times...so I don't think it was just a one time thing or a bad night).

Yeah, I said it in an email to a few dudes from the forum, but like I said there, it may actually be a good thing. I love both Dirty Penny CDs but if we're being totally honest you'd have to say the lead vocals are the weak link. I also used the Crashdiet example, so hopefully it works out for Dirty Penny also. I just hope they do stick around to stick it out with a new vocalist.

Yeah, I said it in an email to a few dudes from the forum, but like I said there, it may actually be a good thing. I love both Dirty Penny CDs but if we're being totally honest you'd have to say the lead vocals are the weak link. I also used the Crashdiet example, so hopefully it works out for Dirty Penny also. I just hope they do stick around to stick it out with a new vocalist.

So do I need the second CD? :unsure:

Yeah, if you liked the first one you definitely need it. As for being expensive, Jeff posted the proper direct link above, hey? I bought it for something like us$10 plus postage... just normal price. Not expensive at all. Worth checking out.

The guy had a suitable sleaze vocal style, but there is endless potential for them to actually do better 2nd time round with a new vocalist. Always sad when an original member leaves band, though.

Yeah, if you liked the first one you definitely need it. As for being expensive, Jeff posted the proper direct link above, hey? I bought it for something like us$10 plus postage... just normal price. Not expensive at all. Worth checking out.

The guy had a suitable sleaze vocal style, but there is endless potential for them to actually do better 2nd time round with a new vocalist. Always sad when an original member leaves band, though.

Cheers, I thought as much. Yeah, I checked out the band site to get the CD, it's high on my list now.

• 3 months later...

saw this guys with toxic heart in italy last year. Absolutly love the dirty penny...really raw...some say the are "the new gnr".

I have not heard or checked lately, but have they found a new lead singer yet?