Dirty Penny - Take It Sleazy

whiplash1972

Dirty Penny are friends with one of my acts SHY TIGER (who actually are very similar). D.P. have a good debut album and I'd probably sign these guys but let's face a couple of facts here...

Guitar player isn't really that good. (listen to solo in the 'video' song - ugh...)

Singer is flat ALOT

Yeh , the backing vox sound good but they cannot pull them off live.

I think the Swedish bands like CrashDiet or even Hardcore Superstar are just doing it better.

Not to take anything away from D.P. because I respect and appreciate what they are doing , it's just that others are doing it better...

Just my 2 cents.

oh my gosh.... thats the first time ever i've seen you say anything negative about any band ......... wow :)

i do think d.p could do with a bit more keys sam.. you should help em out.. make em better :beerbang:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirty Penny are friends with one of my acts SHY TIGER (who actually are very similar). D.P. have a good debut album and I'd probably sign these guys but let's face a couple of facts here...

Guitar player isn't really that good. (listen to solo in the 'video' song - ugh...)

Singer is flat ALOT

Yeh , the backing vox sound good but they cannot pull them off live.

I think the Swedish bands like CrashDiet or even Hardcore Superstar are just doing it better.

Not to take anything away from D.P. because I respect and appreciate what they are doing , it's just that others are doing it better...

Just my 2 cents.

Agree on some parts with you, Sam! While Dirty Penny's debut is a good album that I really enjoy a lot, it does not get close to outputs of the likes as HCS, Crashdiet or Crazy Lixx (or pretty much any Swedish band around). But let's see how they go on, as I think DP have a lot of room for improvement and they definately know how to write a good song. It's great to see bands like DP marking their territories in the USA as well!

Out of curiosity: Do you consider starting to sign "new" bands as well since you say you'd sign DP?

While this year has been a fantastic one for Melodic Rock, 2009 is promising to be a MASSIVE one for Sleaze-lovers! :banger:

Have a naughty X-Mas everyone! :christmas:

Thanks for the replys guys. Yes I am definitely looking for new acts to sign too. In fact the last 2 releases I put out are brand new recordings. I believe D.P. have some great potential and caused quite a stir and I agree about MORE KEYS!! LOL.

I think 2009 will be an awesome year all the way around.

ROCK ON guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I still maintain that this DP (Double Penetration?) CD is excellent. As I said, I have seen people rave continuously about Johnny Lima, but I would take Dirty Penny over Lima's entire discography any day of the week and then all over again the week after. Shy Tiger, though, that's another story. Can we expect to ever hear that second Anatomic album, or a new Shy Tiger disc??? Love that band.

And just as a note, and I want to make sure I don't sound like a prick in saying this because I love a lot of the bands I refer to, but I think I would probably take Dirty Penny over any Retrospect band I can think of, aside from the obvious likes of Friction, Shy Tiger and Defcon. That's not to say I don't love many of the other bands as I like most, but having "doubts" about signing Dirty Penny when a lot of those inferior bands were signed without question is a bit odd to me. :)

And although Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx do have those few better songs which make them better, I think Dirty Penny are more consistent than both, and better than Hardcore Superstar by miles. ;)

i like DP, but it's so cliche. You said you didn't like Houston (partially) because all they sang about "parties, girls, oh yeah"...ect

Well, DP take this to the extreme even to the point where it annoys me a bit... so i fail to see how you think it's better than the likes of Johnny Lima and hardcore superstar.

DP have 2-3 killer songs, and the rest is filler...but good filler. I think they're far from consistant.

It sounds liek from that i dislike them, but relative to all the other bands you mentioned, they are a few classes below. At this stage anyway.

And although Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx do have those few better songs which make them better, I think Dirty Penny are more consistent than both, and better than Hardcore Superstar by miles. ;)

While I've only heard a couple of DP songs I do like them but they are in no way in the same class as Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx or even Hardcore Superstar.

i like DP, but it's so cliche. You said you didn't like Houston (partially) because all they sang about "parties, girls, oh yeah"...ect

Well, DP take this to the extreme even to the point where it annoys me a bit... so i fail to see how you think it's better than the likes of Johnny Lima and hardcore superstar.

DP have 2-3 killer songs, and the rest is filler...but good filler. I think they're far from consistant.

It sounds liek from that i dislike them, but relative to all the other bands you mentioned, they are a few classes below. At this stage anyway.

Really? Please feel free to prove me wrong, but I doubt strongly I said anything about me disliking a CD because it was about parties and girls. That's the kind of shit I love. I may have hated the way they wrote their lyrics, but certainly not the subject matter.

I agree the DP CD is possibly the simplest I've heard in several years. Most choruses are one or two line chants and the lyrics are extremely simple and not overly varied... but the beauty of this band is that they just nail the sound perfectly and continually provide monster sing-along choruses and hooks, with beefy sleaze riffs alongside it. This band shows you don't need to be a puddle of talent to make good songs. Houston wouldn't know a hook if they chewed a prawn from one, their lead singer was impossible to understand, the music was subdued and not an ounce as in-your-face as DP. No comparison, imo.

While I've only heard a couple of DP songs I do like them but they are in no way in the same class as Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx or even Hardcore Superstar.

I agree they're not as good as the first two but to the day I die I will never "get" the Hardcore Superstar hype. Loved the last CD (not as much as DP), but the rest do very little for me.

this was your quote from the Houston thread

"those types of songs that are along the lines of 'We're going out on the town tonight to drink and party, Yeah Rock!' ... that kind of stuff really shits me if it's done averagely"

Maybe it's 'the done averagely' part that differs in your opinon.

Wow, I still maintain that this DP (Double Penetration?) CD is excellent. As I said, I have seen people rave continuously about Johnny Lima, but I would take Dirty Penny over Lima's entire discography any day of the week and then all over again the week after. Shy Tiger, though, that's another story. Can we expect to ever hear that second Anatomic album, or a new Shy Tiger disc??? Love that band.

And just as a note, and I want to make sure I don't sound like a prick in saying this because I love a lot of the bands I refer to, but I think I would probably take Dirty Penny over any Retrospect band I can think of, aside from the obvious likes of Friction, Shy Tiger and Defcon. That's not to say I don't love many of the other bands as I like most, but having "doubts" about signing Dirty Penny when a lot of those inferior bands were signed without question is a bit odd to me. :)

Geoff , you've never seen Dirty Penny Live. I have. They can't pull it off. I LIKE the band but they are a studio band with an average guitar player and a pitchy vocalist.

For the record , I can name at least 30 Retrospect bands that destroy D.P. in a LIVE setting. Heaven's Wish for starters...those guys are phucking phenomenal LIVE.

Like I said , I respect DP and that album but it's pretty sad that it ends there.

On a more positive note , I just signed a band that is the second coming of Def Leppard and LOOK like Dirty Penny. I can't freaking wait to unleash this band to the public - I'm telling you, these guys are Def Leppard all over again (circa Pyro / Hysteria) and I think these kids are gonna have a hell of a future....

"those types of songs that are along the lines of 'We're going out on the town tonight to drink and party, Yeah Rock!' ... that kind of stuff really shits me if it's done averagely"

HAHA! Good to see me come through for myself. Yep, I fully stand by my statement. I hate that kind of stuff if it's done just to be done, but I think Dirty Penny nail their market and I don't even think there's any/many going out to party songs on DP at all anyway? Am I wrong? But yeah, Hinder is all about that but they do it amazingly and I like how DP operate too. Houston just suck, plain and simple. :lol:

HAHA! Good to see me come through for myself. Yep, I fully stand by my statement. I hate that kind of stuff if it's done just to be done, but I think Dirty Penny nail their market and I don't even think there's any/many going out to party songs on DP at all anyway? Am I wrong? But yeah, Hinder is all about that but they do it amazingly and I like how DP operate too. Houston just suck, plain and simple. :lol:

Maybe you'll like the new tracks Houston have up on their myspace?

Maybe you'll like the new tracks Houston have up on their myspace?

I'll check them out. Honestly haven't given up hope completely on those guys, just didn't dig that debut at all.

On a more positive note , I just signed a band that is the second coming of Def Leppard and LOOK like Dirty Penny. I can't freaking wait to unleash this band to the public - I'm telling you, these guys are Def Leppard all over again (circa Pyro / Hysteria) and I think these kids are gonna have a hell of a future....

Okay, now you've got me interested! Is it Wildstreet? That would be phenomenal!!!

Thought I'd add their pic...

WildStreetHEADER2keith.jpg

These guys have a little to work on , but I'm helping them big-time...

Ladies and Gentlemen , The NEW Def Leppard has arrived....

AWESOME news, Sam and congrats on signin' those guys!!!! :banger::drink:

I've been waiting a long time for a release, I just love "Fist of Fury" and "So Long"!

I've been waiting a long time for a release, I just love "Fist of Fury" and "So Long"!

looks very cool!

cant wait for more info..

looks very cool!

cant wait for more info..

Yeah, looks good. Are there samples anywhere to hear?

check their myspace. i had a bit of a listen yesterday.

they're good, but to me the image doesn;t fit the music. They look trashy but sound polished from the samples I heard.

Excellent, sounds good to me!!

they're good, but to me the image doesn;t fit the music. They look trashy but sound polished from the samples I heard.

but what I think is polished and what you think is polished are completely different things i think.

but what I think is polished and what you think is polished are completely different things i think.

Possibly, but I still look forward to hearing these guys. You consider Dirty Penny polished? I believe they're polished as hell. And I like it.