Aussie Bands

Jez

Nice one, mate. Very cool looking site. I just left a pointless kind of comment; just saying I owned albums from pretty much half of the bands on that compilation. Not one still resides in my collection, lol. Not a fan of any of those ones. ;)

Thanks Geoff. You didn't like Wrecking Crew? Actually that doesn't surprise me much, but I thought they were a great band.

Can't remember the Wrecking Crew one to be honest. I think I got it based on you guys here on the forum. But it didn't last long. I think it had a nice sound (?) but not good songs I could remember.

Is the old Cyclone Tracy song okay? They looked like a band that should be good, but I just hated that first album.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right - Seeing as Geoff has mercilessly being plugging the excellent Roxus - Nightstreet disc, I was wondering about anyone else's opinion on some other quality Aussie bands.

I have been spinning De Mont -'Body Language' this morning and definately prefer it above the Roxus disc, generally more consistent for me. Also a band of real merit is Noiseworks with the 'S/T' and especially the humungous 'Touch' album. Rick Price and his 'Heaven Knows' disc is another of my faves although maybe a little 'Lite' for some.

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart (thanx for the reminder TIM) is also another mighty fine disc as well.

And of course not forgetting one of the best bands ever to come from the land of 'Oz' that being the mighty Rose Tattoo. I don't expect Geoff will like 'The Tatts' very much (although I may be wrong)???

Opinions on any/All of the above.

Going back to the first post which I just read.

Nightstreet is pretty amazing, only omission on it was Body Heat, which I don't think was ever released on CD aside from the live album.

DeMont for me have 2 amazing songs on that CD - So Easy and In MY Dreams. The rest are good or average.

Agreed totally. I wonder if I addressed that in reply to Jez back in 2007 (!). But yeah, that's an opposite comment if I ever saw one. Roxus is almost perfect from start to end and super consistent. Demont, as you say, has two great songs and the rest is just solid.

My favorites in no particular order

Candy Harlots - Five Wicked Ways

Roxus - Nighstreet

DeMont - Body Language

Choirboys - Evolver (Also S/T, Midnight Sun and Big Bad Noise)

Rose Tattoo - Scared For Life

Rick Springfield - Rock Of Life - Can't recommend this enough - great hard rock
1927 - ...ish (not hard rock)

The Angels - Howling

The Poor - Who Cares

Skyhooks - anything, but Latest & Greatest is your best bet if you've never heard of them

Cold Chisel - anything, but a greatest hits is your best bet if you've never heard of them, or Twentieth Century just for Flame Trees and Saturday Night

Dragon - Body And The Beat

Uncanny X-men - Cos Life Hurts

The Screaming Jets - I'd do a greatest hits - good songs are really good, others average

Little River Band - just do a greatest hits

Painters & Dockers

The Hard Ons

Mondo Rock

Also saw The Dead Daisies last night supporting Kiss. John Corabi now singing for them, having replaced Jon Stevens. Apparently an Aussie band, which is pretty international now. I think the only Aussie left is maybe a guitarist who is from Baby Animals.
Anyway, they sounded good - never heard them before, but the music was solid.

Roxus - Nighstreet

DeMont - Body Language

Choirboys

Rick Springfield

I know it's an innocent forget (it must be), but you forgot Southern Sons! Their second album is arguably one of the best out of Australia. Also worthy of mention is Empire (particularly their debut).

Another few musts that are not on that list;

BB Steal - debut (the second best Aussie CD ever!!!)

Mr Scary (very nice album; better late than never)

Rick Price - debut (Splendid AOR)

Psuedo Echo - 'Race' (great AOR)

Ragdoll (very good current band)

De La Cruz (great stuff)

Safire (very over-rated and really not one of my faves, but definitely worthy of mention over most that list!)

Devils In Heaven (Could have been the best of them all if they released more than just the two amazing singles - 5 songs in total)

Shotgun Alley (Australia/NZ band... but either way, they were excellent)

White Widdow (undoubtedly placed themselves in the Aussie hall of fame with their 3 albums so far)

Ice Tiger (kind of like DeMont and Safire; over-rated, but solid with 2 amazing songs)

Actually, Southern Sons never did it for me. Same with Kings Of The Sun.

Remember a cool BB Steal song from, ages ago. Heartbeat Away I think

Also a very cool song by Cattletruck - Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX4WRBRWncM

Of the rest you mentioned - Pseudo Echo is a massive omission on my part.
Race is an AMAZING disc.

Remember seeing them off Bell Street in some little club just because we had nothing to do and they came out and rocked hard and kicked my ass.

They are playing the Burvale Hotel, just up the road from me, but I doubt they'll play much off the CD any more. More like Kiss who play only their older hits that the bigger fan base knows.
Not sure if I'll be overseas or not, but if not I may try and make it anyway.

Interesting fact.
Brian Canham released a solo CD under the band name "Brill" which I bought, and it pretty good.

10 years later I got to know my kids music teacher at their primary school, named Darren Downs.

Turns out he sung on that CD (he freaked out when I pulled it when he was at my place) and sure enough he was there in the credits.

Apparently one night he was playing in his band and Brian was there and liked what he heard and asked him to come down to the studio and record.
Cool story.

Another band who had a great song were Stand - Somebody's Waiting.

Saw them when they supported Mike Tramp when he was living here and then when they finished their set would go on and become hos backing band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX3j67f43xQ

Roxus - Nighstreet

DeMont - Body Language

Choirboys - Evolver (Also S/T, Midnight Sun and Big Bad Noise)

Rose Tattoo - Scared For Life

Rick Springfield - Rock Of Life - Can't recommend this enough - great hard rock

The Angels - Howling

The Poor - Who Cares

Skyhooks - anything, but Latest & Greatest is your best bet if you've never heard of them

Cold Chisel - anything, but a greatest hits is your best bet if you've never heard of them, or Twentieth Century just for Flame Trees and Saturday Night

Dragon - Body And The Beat

Uncanny X-men - Cos Life Hurts

The Screaming Jets - I'd do a greatest hits - good songs are really good, others average

Little River Band - just do a greatest hits

Painters & Dockers

The Hard Ons

Mondo Rock

Also saw The Dead Daisies last night supporting Kiss. John Corabi now singing for them, having replaced Jon Stevens. Apparently an Aussie band, which is pretty international now. I think the only Aussie left is maybe a guitarist who is from Baby Animals.

Anyway, they sounded good - never heard them before, but the music was solid.

Nice list! I think Rick Springfield and Uncanny Xmen are overlooked - both excellent IMO. In fact I heard 'Don't Talk to Strangers' playing today - love that song!

Roxus - Nighstreet

DeMont - Body Language

Choirboys

Rick Springfield

I know it's an innocent forget (it must be), but you forgot Southern Sons! Their second album is arguably one of the best out of Australia. Also worthy of mention is Empire (particularly their debut).

Another few musts that are not on that list;

BB Steal - debut (the second best Aussie CD ever!!!)

Mr Scary (very nice album; better late than never)

Rick Price - debut (Splendid AOR)

Psuedo Echo - 'Race' (great AOR)

Ragdoll (very good current band)

De La Cruz (great stuff)

Safire (very over-rated and really not one of my faves, but definitely worthy of mention over most that list!)

Devils In Heaven (Could have been the best of them all if they released more than just the two amazing singles - 5 songs in total)

Shotgun Alley (Australia/NZ band... but either way, they were excellent)

White Widdow (undoubtedly placed themselves in the Aussie hall of fame with their 3 albums so far)

Ice Tiger (kind of like DeMont and Safire; over-rated, but solid with 2 amazing songs)

Great list! Some essential Aussie releases there mate.

Actually, Southern Sons never did it for me. Same with Kings Of The Sun.

Remember a cool BB Steal song from, ages ago. Heartbeat Away I think

Also a very cool song by Cattletruck - Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX4WRBRWncM

Of the rest you mentioned - Pseudo Echo is a massive omission on my part.

Race is an AMAZING disc.

Remember seeing them off Bell Street in some little club just because we had nothing to do and they came out and rocked hard and kicked my ass.

They are playing the Burvale Hotel, just up the road from me, but I doubt they'll play much off the CD any more. More like Kiss who play only their older hits that the bigger fan base knows.

Not sure if I'll be overseas or not, but if not I may try and make it anyway.

Interesting fact.

Brian Canham released a solo CD under the band name "Brill" which I bought, and it pretty good.

10 years later I got to know my kids music teacher at their primary school, named Darren Downs.

Turns out he sung on that CD (he freaked out when I pulled it when he was at my place) and sure enough he was there in the credits.

Apparently one night he was playing in his band and Brian was there and liked what he heard and asked him to come down to the studio and record.

Cool story.

Another band who had a great song were Stand - Somebody's Waiting.

Saw them when they supported Mike Tramp when he was living here and then when they finished their set would go on and become hos backing band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX3j67f43xQ

Stand...I forgot all about them. That was a good disc!

Dave Leslie of Baby Animals is only helping out the Dead Daises while the guitarist recovering his injury.

"Body Heat" was on AOR Heaven remastered version of "Nightstreet" by Roxus.

There was only a demo tape before two cds by Cyclone Tracy.

Dave Leslie of Baby Animals is only helping out the Dead Daises while the guitarist recovering his injury.

"Body Heat" was on AOR Heaven remastered version of "Nightstreet" by Roxus.

There was only a demo tape before two cds by Cyclone Tracy.

Yeah actually I have that demo tspe and will feature it on the blog sometime...got a few other goodies first.

The Roxus reissue is essential IMO.

My new Aussie rock blog :)

https://7wishesmusic.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-early-90s-cd-compilation/

Just a bit of fun, nothing serious.

1st post is this excellent Aussie hard rock compilation:

cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-fron

Also have a Facebook page: search for "7 Wishes Music"

More to come.

Oh and for anyone interested, there is a copy for sale here. It's $50 but this CD almost never shows up.

Cool start to the blog. Will be looking to see what follows!

My new Aussie rock blog :)

https://7wishesmusic.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-early-90s-cd-compilation/

Just a bit of fun, nothing serious.

1st post is this excellent Aussie hard rock compilation:

cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-fron

Also have a Facebook page: search for "7 Wishes Music"

More to come.

Oh and for anyone interested, there is a copy for sale here. It's $50 but this CD almost never shows up.

Cool start to the blog. Will be looking to see what follows!

Thanks man. Hopefully it won't be too long between posts! Plenty of ideas though. Cheers.

Where Judge Mercy ?

Where Texas Rose?

Where Call of The Wild ?

Where Horsehead?

Where De Arrow ?

Judge Mercy and Horsehead are in the terrible pile and DeArrow is in the unreleased pile... not heard of the other two. Are they any good?

I remember Stand too. I can't actually remember if I heard the CD... I think I did? I remember they were the talk of the town but they didn't do much for me. I saw them open for / play with Mike Tramp a couple of times too. But yeah, don't remember them doing much for me.

Missed one - Love Cream - First Taste

From Adelaide, a less gimmicky Steel Panther, with some smutty lyrics, which don't go overboard, and lots of hooks and melodies.
Amazing album, one of my favorites.

Call of the Wild sound is typical pub rock :beerbang: .

Their only cd was produced by Geordie Leech and Pete Welles of Rose Tattoo fame.

Will have Call of the Wild on the blog very soon. I have 2 CDs from them. Pretty standard pub rock with ACDC influences.

I thought they were terrible. :(

This seems to be your standard response to everything these days Geoff

Only the terrible stuff. Look in the threads about good music and you will see much more variation. Or, in the post at the bottom of the previous page where I complimented about 400 bands. ;) Or all the time when I give credit where it's due. ;) Sorry mate, if it's crap it's crap and that's how I describe it, and if it's not I say nice things about it.

I thought they were terrible. :(

This seems to be your standard response to everything these days Geoff

Only the terrible stuff. Look in the threads about good music and you will see much more variation. Or, in the post at the bottom of the previous page where I complimented about 400 bands. ;) Or all the time when I give credit where it's due. ;) Sorry mate, if it's crap it's crap and that's how I describe it, and if it's not I say nice things about it.

I honestly must not read any of those threads of bands you like. To be fair i read 90% glam sleaze related stuff on here, so there must be nothing glam/sleaze related that you have liked over the past 2 years, and the stuff you do like I'm not reading those threads.

Just checked my list so far this year and I think the first album you could classify as glam/sleaze would be Damn Dice, in at 48th place with a solid 74%. A solid disc, but definitely not the type of thing I'd rave about (this is all assuming Santa Cruz is not classified as glam/sleaze, because if so I've raved about that one all year).

But what you said is probably a pretty fair assessment. I probably haven't passed many good comments on glam/sleaze albums over the past two years because I doubt there has been a good one. Sorry mate, just trying to keep it real. There's no point lowering my standards to like garbage like Love Cream just because it's the only album in the genre to talk about. I genuinely love the genre, and a lot of my all-time faves would be from the genre, but like you yourself have said, there's nothing good coming out of it at the moment at all, spanning back as far back as 2005 (with a few exceptions).

I'm trying to cull the fuck out of the albums I own, and that sure as hell does not involve allowing myself to start liking shit, just because it's all there is. There are hundreds of great glam/sleaze albums I can fall back on from the past, without needing to try to like mediocre new ones for the sake of it.

Recently Ι got the cd from M. Paynter - Love The Fall. It rawks! Especially that Love The Fall gives neutrinos some mass, goddammit!

I actually did think about this omission from my list and slapped my head. It is very high up the list for me.