Aussie Bands

Jez

Some great CDs here but I can't believe there isn't more talk about Kings of the Sun - all 3 CDs are great.

I love that Candy Harlots CD!!!

What about the skyhooks? Take all their best tracks and you get one smokin CD! Same with the Angels, songs like No Secrets, Shadowboxer awesome stuff.

Also, the first 2 Screaming Jets CDs rock.

For those not into Progresive Metal but open minded take a chance on Vanishing Point's 3rd CD Embrace the Silence, great album.... perhaps a bit long and dies off towards the end but the first 40mins kick ass and really accessible.

kings of the sun sure do rock, can't say I've ever been dissapointed by thier albums.

speaking of screaming jets I'd love to know a way of getting hold of thier demos when the band was known as Sudden Impact before changing thier name to Aspect. I understand there's quite a few tracks recorded under those monickers that have never been released.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some bands from back in the day i enjoyed are Ion Drive,Taipan and Heaven.Saw these bands live alot at the Metal For Melbourne gigs.We used to laugh ourselves stupid at The Bengal Moggies as we all used to call them,they were such posers and the other bands always kick their butts live.Oh the good old days.

Some great CDs here but I can't believe there isn't more talk about Kings of the Sun - all 3 CDs are great.

I love that Candy Harlots CD!!!

What about the skyhooks? Take all their best tracks and you get one smokin CD! Same with the Angels, songs like No Secrets, Shadowboxer awesome stuff.

Also, the first 2 Screaming Jets CDs rock.

For those not into Progresive Metal but open minded take a chance on Vanishing Point's 3rd CD Embrace the Silence, great album.... perhaps a bit long and dies off towards the end but the first 40mins kick ass and really accessible.

kings of the sun sure do rock, can't say I've ever been dissapointed by thier albums.

speaking of screaming jets I'd love to know a way of getting hold of thier demos when the band was known as Sudden Impact before changing thier name to Aspect. I understand there's quite a few tracks recorded under those monickers that have never been released.

Yeah nothing wrong with Kings Of The Sun. Their first album was great.

I didn't know the Jets were formerly known as Sudden Impact or Aspect. They must have been real young at the time. I'd also be very interested to hear them.

Yeah nothing wrong with Kings Of The Sun. Their first album was great.

Especially this song Black Leather.....Great clip as well :tumbsup:

Some bands from back in the day i enjoyed are Ion Drive,Taipan and Heaven.Saw these bands live alot at the Metal For Melbourne gigs.We used to laugh ourselves stupid at The Bengal Moggies as we all used to call them,they were such posers and the other bands always kick their butts live.Oh the good old days.

Hey Dave if you look on Youtube and put any of those bands name in search engine, you see them.

They were put up there by Lemmy(Leigh Wilson) who use film a lot of those gigs eg Metal for Melbourne, Bell St rock.

:headbanger:

• 5 weeks later...

Wildfire - Dreams In Action

Year - 1998

Record Label - Horizons Music

Band Members:

Anthony Edwards - Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar, Keyboards

Ivan Brinklow - Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals

Mark Shaw - Bass Guitar

Phil Preston - Drums

Track Listing:

Fighting Words

Too Many Nights

How Do I Win Your Heart

One Shot At The Title

Didn't Wanna Leave

Jamie

Veip

Maybe Only Music

Dreams In Action

Instinct

Anyone heard of these guys?? I picked this up for 99cents having no clue who they are or what they sound like. Turns out this is some really nice Melodic Rock/AOR from here in sunny Queensland. The production is not the best but the ballads on this CD (of which there are many) are really very nice. I'm not so keen on their heavier songs though. From what I can gather they are from Brisbane or the Gold Coast and released this debut album in 1998 followed by 'Silver Bell Valley' in 2001. Anthony Edwards also released a CD called 'Universeleven - Time 2 Rock' in 2006. He is now part of a Christian band called 6across.

Does anyone have anymore info on these guys. I noticed Geoff you mentioned Wildfire - S/T in one the early posts in this thread. I'm guessing that is a completely different band?

You can apparantly purchace this and the other CD's I mentioned from the 6across website. I'd be keeping an eye out on E-Bay and the local 2nd hand shops for this one. Definately worth it if you can find it cheap.

Does anyone have anymore info on these guys. I noticed Geoff you mentioned Wildfire - S/T in one the early posts in this thread. I'm guessing that is a completely different band?

Hey mate, no that's the same band I mentioned. I actually picked this CD up from a Cash Converters in Indooroopilly ($6 if I recall correctly) when I was there for work, wow, going back a decade now? A long time ago. It is a great disc (even with the pretty simple production job) and sadly I traded it away because of a great offer from my Canadian buddy. I made a CDR copy with full artwork that still resides in my collection.

I actually went straight to the site you mentioned and would have bought it again... but $25 is a little too much for me. I wonder what their 2nd CD is like.

Hey mate, no that's the same band I mentioned. I actually picked this CD up from a Cash Converters in Indooroopilly ($6 if I recall correctly) when I was there for work, wow, going back a decade now? A long time ago. It is a great disc (even with the pretty simple production job) and sadly I traded it away because of a great offer from my Canadian buddy. I made a CDR copy with full artwork that still resides in my collection.

I actually went straight to the site you mentioned and would have bought it again... but $25 is a little too much for me. I wonder what their 2nd CD is like.

Yeah they mention Indooroopilly in the liner notes. So is the CD you bought back then called 'Dreams In Action' or is their a S/T CD that comes before it? I'm confused.

Yeah they mention Indooroopilly in the liner notes. So is the CD you bought back then called 'Dreams In Action' or is their a S/T CD that comes before it? I'm confused.

'Dreams in action' definitely sounds familiar, but I thought it was s/t. Could be completely wrong though. Is 'Dreams in action' a visible title on the cover? Actually I can check tonight on my artworked CDR. I know 100% for sure the disc I had is the same tracklist as what you have.

I also noticed that if you buy their CDs their PO box is in Indooroopilly.

'Dreams in action' definitely sounds familiar, but I thought it was s/t. Could be completely wrong though. Is 'Dreams in action' a visible title on the cover? Actually I can check tonight on my artworked CDR. I know 100% for sure the disc I had is the same tracklist as what you have.

I also noticed that if you buy their CDs their PO box is in Indooroopilly.

Yeah it has to be the same one. The cover is s bit wierd actually, it's like a crappy computer generated old building with a planet behind it and a random 1 year old baby on the side. Need drugs to understand.

Haven't read much of this thread, but these are my all time favourite Australian releases

No order

Roxus - Nightstreet

1927 - ...Ish

Southern Sons - S/T

John Farnham - Age of Reason

Noiseworks - S/T

De Mont - Body Language

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart

Angry Anderson - Blood from Stone

Icehouse - Man of Colours

And a few others I'm missing!

Haven't read much of this thread, but these are my all time favourite Australian releases

No order

Roxus - Nightstreet

1927 - ...Ish

Southern Sons - S/T

John Farnham - Age of Reason

Noiseworks - S/T

De Mont - Body Language

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart

Angry Anderson - Blood from Stone

Icehouse - Man of Colours

And a few others I'm missing!

Never did like that DeMont CD. But I agree with the rest of your list, all great albums.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey Dave if you look on Youtube and put any of those bands name in search engine, you see them.

They were put up there by Lemmy(Leigh Wilson) who use film a lot of those gigs eg Metal for Melbourne, Bell St rock.

:headbanger:

Thanks for that mate i will check it out and i remember seeing Lemmy at the gigs.A mate of mine has alot of those shows transferred from tape to dvd.

• 5 years later...

My new Aussie rock blog :)

https://7wishesmusic.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-early-90s-cd-compilation/

Just a bit of fun, nothing serious.

1st post is this excellent Aussie hard rock compilation:

cobra-club-volume-i-limited-edition-fron

Also have a Facebook page: search for "7 Wishes Music"

More to come.

Oh and for anyone interested, there is a copy for sale here. It's $50 but this CD almost never shows up.

Nice one, mate. Very cool looking site. I just left a pointless kind of comment; just saying I owned albums from pretty much half of the bands on that compilation. Not one still resides in my collection, lol. Not a fan of any of those ones. ;)

Nice one, mate. Very cool looking site. I just left a pointless kind of comment; just saying I owned albums from pretty much half of the bands on that compilation. Not one still resides in my collection, lol. Not a fan of any of those ones. ;)

Thanks Geoff. You didn't like Wrecking Crew? Actually that doesn't surprise me much, but I thought they were a great band.

The Cyclone Tracy track didn't make it on either their two cds.

Yeah I found it strange that Cyclone Tracy took until '96 and '98 to release CDs - unless there was something else before these?

Right - Seeing as Geoff has mercilessly being plugging the excellent Roxus - Nightstreet disc, I was wondering about anyone else's opinion on some other quality Aussie bands.

I have been spinning De Mont -'Body Language' this morning and definately prefer it above the Roxus disc, generally more consistent for me. Also a band of real merit is Noiseworks with the 'S/T' and especially the humungous 'Touch' album. Rick Price and his 'Heaven Knows' disc is another of my faves although maybe a little 'Lite' for some.

Jimmy Barnes - Freight Train Heart (thanx for the reminder TIM) is also another mighty fine disc as well.

And of course not forgetting one of the best bands ever to come from the land of 'Oz' that being the mighty Rose Tattoo. I don't expect Geoff will like 'The Tatts' very much (although I may be wrong)???

Opinions on any/All of the above.

Going back to the first post which I just read.

Nightstreet is pretty amazing, only omission on it was Body Heat, which I don't think was ever released on CD aside from the live album.

DeMont for me have 2 amazing songs on that CD - So Easy and In MY Dreams. The rest are good or average.