1985 - Best HEAVY METAL Album

1985 Best Metal Album  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the 85' Metal Poll.

There's not as many great releases as some of the previous years had but still some really solid albums.

The 1st part is the toughest for me. Keel, Malmsteen, Anthrax, and Dokken could of easily won my vote but I had to go with the Progressive Metal masterpiece that is Fates Warning 'The Spectre Within'.

Queensryche meets Maiden would be the best way to describe 'Spectre' but it's really the vocals of original Fates vocalist John Arch that sets this apart from the others for me. No one sang like him and No one wrote lyrics like him. He was truly an original and it's a shame he hasn't done much since leaving Fates in 1987.

'The Apparition' is one of the greatest Metal songs ever recorded IMHO.

The 2nd part again had some good stuff like Ratt, Motley & Y&T, but I had to go with Twisted Sister 'Come out and Play'. If you could take the song 'Leader of the Pack' off this thing it would be up there with their best releases IMO. 'Fire Still Burns' is one of my fav TS songs ever.

There are quite a few goodies on those lists but my eyes immediately jumped to two of my all time favorites, Loudness' THUNDER IN THE EAST and Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, so those are my picks. I could've easily also gone with Stryper, S.O.D. (f**king ESSENTIAL thrash disc!), and Raven, to name just a few, however. (Surprised that I didn't pick the Raven disc this time, Wes? Me too. Heh heh)

Not for nuthin', I still think of Metal Church's S/T as a 1984 release because the band put it out themselves (on their own Ground Zero Records label) in 1984 before Elektra picked them up and re-issued it in '85

There are quite a few goodies on those lists but my eyes immediately jumped to two of my all time favorites, Loudness' THUNDER IN THE EAST and Overkill's FEEL THE FIRE, so those are my picks. I could've easily also gone with Stryper, S.O.D. (f**king ESSENTIAL thrash disc!), and Raven, to name just a few, however. (Surprised that I didn't pick the Raven disc this time, Wes? Me too. Heh heh)

Not for nuthin', I still think of Metal Church's S/T as a 1984 release because the band put it out themselves (on their own Ground Zero Records label) in 1984 before Elektra picked them up and re-issued it in '85

No I'm not suprised you didn't pick Raven as I figured you would pick the Overkill.

I didn't know that the Metal Church was released the year the before by the band.

I learned something new today.

Dio 'Sacred Heart' ("Rock'n'Roll Children" is an eternal gem !)

Savatage 'Power Of The Night'

Alcatrazz - Disturbing The Peace (Awesome Disc)

Y&T - Down For The Count

Did you vote Jez? It doesn't show either one of them getting a vote. :screwy:

DUH!!! Corrected. I always forget to do that. :drink:

I went for EXODUS & OVERKILL. Choosing between METAL CHURCH, S.O.D, SLAYER & OVERKILL was tough though....

I was a huge Dokken fan back in high school so I had to go with them. I also voted for Motely Crue only because I go t laid a lot while listening to that stuff...the chicks dig Crue for some reason.

Because Vince was hot! And yes, WAS is the operative word here... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Keel: "The Right to Rock" is not a perfect album by any means (that didn't happen until their self-titled release), but I still voted for it, mainly for nostalgic reasons. In the late 80s, the song "Right to rock" was one of my favorite anthems, and I wore out countless tapes playing it ad nauseum, until even my best friends refused to ride in my car for fear of having to listen to the song again. (At least that's what they said...personally, I think they were scared of my driving.)

For the second half of the poll, it was a no-brainer--STRYPER: "Soldiers Under Command." Their next album, "To Hell With the Devil," put them on the mainstream map, but it was "Soldiers..." that cemented their place as the leaders of the Christian glam/hair-metal movement. Love that CD.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...