1984-Best HEAVY METAL Album

1984 Best Metal Album  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the 1984 Poll as promised.

You can really see a difference in what was going on in the U.S. compared to the rest of the World.

There was more Hair Metal in America and much more Traditional/Power Metal coming out of Europe.

With the influence of the Thrash Metal scene started by Metallica and Slayer I'm sure the next couple of polls will have more bands of that style.

This is the hardest poll for me by far. The U.S. bands make this very hard and picking between Maiden and Priest in 2nd part is tough also.

U.S.:

1)Queensryche- The Warning

2)Dio- Last in Line

3)Metallica- Ride the Lightning

4)Fates Warning- Night on Brocken

5)Dokken- Tooth & Nail

U.K/Europe/Canada:

1)Judas Priest- Defenders of the Faith

2)Iron Maiden- Powerslave

3)Accept- Balls to the Wall

4)Scorpions- Love at First Sting

5)Yngwie Malmsteen- Rising Force

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my GAWD.. 84 was one of the best metal years EVER... (scratches head) This is gonna take some serious thought on my part, and I have no time for serious thought right now... will have to come back to this one :)

Okay, I thought it over... went with WASP's first album in the U.S. half and Mercyful Fate's DON'T BREAK THE OATH in the second half, but it took a lot of thinking, sweating, and gnashing of teeth...

If I were allowed to pick a top 3 in each category, it would probably look like this:

WASP- S/T

Metallica - RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Armored Saint - MARCH OF THE SAINT for the U.S. bands

and

Mercyful Fate - DON'T BREAK THE OATH

Iron Maiden - POWERSLAVE

Accept - BALLS TO THE WALL

for the non-U.S. bands

Okay, I thought it over... went with WASP's first album in the U.S. half and Mercyful Fate's DON'T BREAK THE OATH in the second half, but it took a lot of thinking, sweating, and gnashing of teeth...

If I were allowed to pick a top 3 in each category, it would probably look like this:

WASP- S/T

and

Mercyful Fate - DON'T BREAK THE OATH

Iron Maiden - POWERSLAVE

Accept - BALLS TO THE WALL

for the non-U.S. bands

I thought you would go with Queensryche & Priest.

This was pretty easy for me:

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar & Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith hands down.

But Iron Maiden - Powerslave was a close second to Priest.

Hell, this was the time period that shaped my music tastes up to today. Where is Van Halen 1984? Did that come out in 84 or 83? I don't remember. That one would be right up there as well!

Where is Van Halen 1984? Did that come out in 84 or 83? I don't remember. That one would be right up there as well!

If memory serves, Van Halen's "1984" did indeed come out on January 1st, 1984.

I could've went with just about anything on both of these lists! Do you have ANY idea how hard it was to boil it down to a top three? Good Lord! I could've compiled a top twenty!! 1984 was a phenomenal metal year!! :crazy:

So will we be moving on to 1985 soon, Wes?? :lol:

Hell, this was the time period that shaped my music tastes up to today. Where is Van Halen 1984? Did that come out in 84 or 83? I don't remember. That one would be right up there as well!

I thought about including Van Halen 1984, but in the end I decided it wasn't really a Metal record.

I thought about including Van Halen 1984, but in the end I decided it wasn't really a Metal record.

I was wondering about that so I checked the HH page and it says 1983 for Van Halen.

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.c...384&CDName=1984

I love THESE:

Dio-Last in Line [ 4 ] [26.67%]

Great White-S/T [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Manowar-Hail to England [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Manowar-Sign of the Hammer [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Metallica-Ride the Lightning [ 2 ] [13.33%]

Queensryche-The Warning [ 3 ] [20.00%]

Ratt-Out of the Cellar [ 3 ] [20.00%]

Stryper-The Yellow and Black Attack [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry [ 0 ] [0.00%]

W.A.S.P.-S/T [ 1 ] [6.67%]

Y&T-In Rock We Trust [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Accept-Balls to the Wall [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Judas Priest-Defenders of the Faith [ 4 ] [26.67%]

Mercyful Fate-Don't Break the Oath [ 1 ] [6.67%]

Pretty Maids-Red,Hot,& Heavy [ 1 ] [6.67%]

Scorpions-Love at First Sting [ 3 ] [20.00%]

TNT-Knights of the New Thunder [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Yngwie Malmsteen-Rising Force

...and many of the rest I actually haven't heard much, so I don't know if I love them!

I agree that 1984 was great for music.... But to me, there wasn't that one great release. Alot of good... but nothing mind shattering in my opinion.

Here's what I went with:

US

1.) Dio ~ The Last In Line

2.) Y&T ~ In Rock We Trust

3.) RATT ~ Out Of The Cellar

4.) Black N' Blue ~ S/T

* As much as I like Dokken, for some reason their music didn't withstand the test of time. I have to be in the right mood for Dokken... But Dio or Y&T, give it to me anytime. (Sorry Chad)

OTHER

1.) Warlock ~ Burning The Witches

2.) Scorpions ~ Love at First Sting

3.) TNT ~ Knight Of The New Thunder

4.) Krokus ~ The Blitz

* As much as I love Krokus, this release was a bit of a dissappointment. Just to commercial for me. As I've mentioned befor, their "Metal Rendez-vous" release is in my top 5 all-time.

1st part :

1- Dio "The Last In Line"

2- Y&T "In Rock We Trust"

3- Manowar "Sign Of The Hammer"

2nd part :

1- Judas Priest "Defenders Of The Faith"

2- Iron Maiden "Powerslave"

3- Pretty Maids "Red Hot & Heavy"

WASP- S/T

I saw that tour... awesome.

I have to come back to this too, how could one year be THAT good? :blink:

WASP- S/T

You suck. I would have given my left NUT to see that tour... but unfortunately, I was only 14 years old at the time, and Mom and Dad certainly weren't about to drive me to L'amour in Brooklyn (closest venue to me where they played) to see that one. Damn parents. :blink:

Where is Van Halen 1984? Did that come out in 84 or 83? I don't remember. That one would be right up there as well!

If memory serves, Van Halen's "1984" did indeed come out on January 1st, 1984.

I could've went with just about anything on both of these lists! Do you have ANY idea how hard it was to boil it down to a top three? Good Lord! I could've compiled a top twenty!! 1984 was a phenomenal metal year!! :crazy:

So will we be moving on to 1985 soon, Wes?? :lol:

1985 will be coming soon, I just need to find some time. It will probably tonight or tomorrow. So far it doesn't look like there's as many quality releases in 85'.

WASP- S/T

You suck. I would have given my left NUT to see that tour... but unfortunately, I was only 14 years old at the time, and Mom and Dad certainly weren't about to drive me to L'amour in Brooklyn (closest venue to me where they played) to see that one. Damn parents. :blink:

That's exactly where I saw it, I think I was 17 or 18 (they weren't too picky about fake ID's back then... :woot:).

Now back to on topic and this took a lot of thought... what a fuckin' year!

First poll I went with Ratt, because DiMartini changed the whole way I looked at guitar from both a lead and rhythm perspective. Man the sound of those guys was just so cool to me at the time (still is...). VERY close runners up were Dio, WASP, Armored Saint, Metallica, Anthrax, and Black 'n' Blue.

Second poll was no easier and I eventually chose TNT, the vocals and the guitar were so high impact and so different from a lot of what else was around. I still love that album to this day and am known to totally blow my voice out in the car trying to hit the notes in "Break The Ice"... :anon: Again, VERY close runners up were Accept, Maiden, Scorps and YJM.

Not tryin' to raise a fuss or nothin' but I could almost swear that Black N Blue's first album came out in 1985, not 84. I'd have to go pull my vinyl LP out of the closet to be absolutely sure, tho.

Not tryin' to raise a fuss or nothin' but I could almost swear that Black N Blue's first album came out in 1985, not 84. I'd have to go pull my vinyl LP out of the closet to be absolutely sure, tho.

Black n Blue:

S/t- 1984

Without Love- 1985

Nasty Nasty- 1986

In Heat- 1988

The s/t album should of been released in 83' but they waited for Dieter Dierks to come available to produce.

If they wouldn't of waited so long they might of beat Dokken and Ratt to the punch.

You are indeed correct sir, I checked my old vinyl copy and BNB's first LP did indeed come out in '84, not '85. If memory serves I didn't actually hear the album till '85 so that's probably why I had '85 stuck in my head.

Hey, I can't be right all the time... :)

You are indeed correct sir, I checked my old vinyl copy and BNB's first LP did indeed come out in '84, not '85. If memory serves I didn't actually hear the album till '85 so that's probably why I had '85 stuck in my head.

Hey, I can't be right all the time... :)

:nyanya:

;)