The ultimate late 80's commercial hard rock album

The ultimate late 80's commercial hard rock ablum  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the time I probably would have gone with Poison 'Open Up', but that doesnt seem to have aged as well as some of the others.

I think Hysteria, Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Appetitie could all go into the classic class.

Skid Row just a tad behind as I think while the best songs on the album are as good as the best on the beforementioned albums, there are a few fillers in my opinion.

Although I enjoyed Feelgood and Night Songs, they never really did it for me as much as the others.... and again, I don't think these 2 have aged very well.

There's not a bad choice amongst the lot, and i see why people say that era will never be repeated again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dig all these discs. 'Slippery' has the most filler so, definately not that one. 'Open Up and say Ahh' I love, but it has some of my least fave prime Poison tracks, even though it has some of my faves... 'Hysteria' and 'Jersey' are both almost flawless, as is 'Appetite' and 'Dr Feelgood' is a huge fave to, but to me I think the epitome of 80's "hair metal" has to be Skid Row's debut. 'Youth gone wild' being the anthem of the time and '18 and life' and 'I remember you' are just perfect 80's metal ballads. I don't know, not every song amazes me, but it's what I chose when I saw the list so I guess there's a reason. :)

I really dig all these discs. 'Slippery' has the most filler so, definately not that one. 'Open Up and say Ahh' I love, but it has some of my least fave prime Poison tracks, even though it has some of my faves... 'Hysteria' and 'Jersey' are both almost flawless, as is 'Appetite' and 'Dr Feelgood' is a huge fave to, but to me I think the epitome of 80's "hair metal" has to be Skid Row's debut. 'Youth gone wild' being the anthem of the time and '18 and life' and 'I remember you' are just perfect 80's metal ballads. I don't know, not every song amazes me, but it's what I chose when I saw the list so I guess there's a reason. :)

What tracks would you class as fillers on Slippery When Wet?

The only one I'd class as a filler is 'Social Disease' which never really hooked me. I guessing others would also class 'Without Love' as a filler, althouhg I really like that track. Even the 'no single' trackls are classics... like raise your hands, wild in the streets, let it rock, i'd die for you.

I personally think Skid Row has more (3-4) fillers, but still 5-6 incredible tracks.

The only one I'd class as a filler is 'Social Disease' which never really hooked me. I guessing others would also class 'Without Love' as a filler, althouhg I really like that track. Even the 'no single' trackls are classics... like raise your hands, wild in the streets, let it rock, i'd die for you.

I personally think Skid Row has more (3-4) fillers, but still 5-6 incredible tracks.

Lindsay mate, which sinner dare calls 'Without Love' a filler??? That always has been and still is my fave track off the album. I love it!!! The ones I'd call fillers are:

Let it Rock - To me, just an average track. Does nothing for me at all. Not memorable, IMO.

Social Disease - terrible.

Wild in the Streets - as terrible as 'Social disease' IMO.

Wow, having just done that I may have put my foot in my mouth. I thought there were way more fillers than that. :( I stand corrected. And I agree there are probably more fillers on Skid Row's debut.

Lindsay mate, which sinner dare calls 'Without Love' a filler??? That always has been and still is my fave track off the album. I love it!!! The ones I'd call fillers are:

Let it Rock - To me, just an average track. Does nothing for me at all. Not memorable, IMO.

Social Disease - terrible.

Wild in the Streets - as terrible as 'Social disease' IMO.

Wow, having just done that I may have put my foot in my mouth. I thought there were way more fillers than that. :( I stand corrected. And I agree there are probably more fillers on Skid Row's debut.

I don't call 'Without Love' a filler... I love the track, but it's not a track people often rave about which is why I'm guessing people consider it a filler. (I didn't know anyonese else besides me liked that song!)

Let it Rock is one of my favourites (top 3) on the album - especially live... it's an absolute killer.

After reading the question a few times, I went with Bon Jovi ~ Slippery When Wet. I guess the key word for me was "commercial". I much prefer Cinderella ~ Night Songs... but I really don't consider it as a "commercial" release myself. Likewise, I don't consider G'N'R ~ Appetite For Destruction to be very "commercial".

Slippery When Wet, in my opinion, really openned the door for many late "80's hair bands". It changed the rules for the genre... made it OK to be polished. And ultimatley, also may have contributed to the decline of the genre.

Aren't opinions great....? :banana:

~ Dave ~

Poor Poison... zero votes out of 48.

Yet, in the day almost everyone had the album.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE that album and some tracks are just amazing. There's not a single track on there I dislike (yeah, I don't even mind 'Your mamma don't dance') but most a weaker than the rest of the list. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go with Dr.Feelgood, that album brings back nothing but GOOD!!!! memories.

• 5 months later...

I am a big fan of all of those albums! Obviously, they were all huge...

I went with, GnR "Appetite For Destruction"!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...