aor-1980-86 or so

swriter

I love this period, RPM, Aviator, Survivor, Frank Stalone, Bolton etc. Before the harder metal stuff came in, just good aor between this period, what r some of your favs from this time period and genre???

Great topic!

Too many good bands during this period to just mention a few... really! If I would just limit myself to 15 bands though, I would probably say :

Survivor

Franke & The Knockouts

Preview

Beau Coup

Streets

Van Zant

Le Roux

Fortune

Stan Meissner

Shooting Star

Arc Angel

The VU

Aviator

Michael Bolton

The Automatix

There's more... but I think these will do... :P

Kim already listed quite a few very good ones. I am adding the following:

Dakota

Trillion

The Sherbs

Asia

Steel Breeze

Billy Satellite

Giuffria

Paul Janz

Van Stephenson

Phenomena

Virginia Wolf

Guys you already listed great bands (thanks Swazi to mentionned the great Virginia Wolf !). I just add these :

Joe Lynn Turner ("Rescue You" is awesome)

Distance

Balance

Pat Benatar

Rick Springfield

John Parr

Joe Lamont

Stevie Nicks

The Babys

Night Ranger

Robert Tepper

Wrabit

Autograph

Bernny Mardones

Eddie Money

Jim Capaldi

Le Mans

Marilyn Martin

White Sister

Y&T

... I forget certainly some...

Beau Coup???? hmmm, from the U.S.???? Was there any airplay on them???? how do these bands seem to pass me by when I knew everything at that time????? hmmmm

I gotta find this one!!!

keep em coming all!!!!! I am learning!!!!! hehehe

Beau Coup???? hmmm, from the U.S.???? Was there any airplay on them???? how do these bands seem to pass me by when I knew everything at that time????? hmmmm

I gotta find this one!!!

You should get their '87 album, it's a pure classic IMO. They also have a self-titled album from '84, but this one is only released on vinyl.

Some more Essential AOR/MR::

New England

Grand Prix

Touch

Russ Ballard

Quaterflash

Santers

Toronto

Charlie

Cobra

Hybrid Ice

Aldo Nova

Point Blank

Sheriff

Axe

Coney Hatch

i-Ten

Eric Martin Band

Orphan

Prototype

Zebra

Airrace

Duke Jupiter

Michael Stanley Band

Everest

Lionheart

Orion The Hunter

Urgent (Canada)

Urgent (US)

Zappacosta

Van Stephenson

Strangeways

Craaft

Fate

Haywire

Honeymoon Suite

Outside Edge

Skagarack

Treat

White Heart

I gotta find this one!!!

You should get their '87 album, it's a pure classic IMO. They also have a self-titled album from '84, but this one is only released on vinyl.

Thanks for the tip ! The comments tell me that it should be right up my alley. :drink: I just bought it at Amazon for 11€. Not bad, I dare say !! :P

sherbs????? more please!!!!! hehehe

Quaterflash

Michael Stanley Band

Jez : I don't know those two bands... How many albums ? Hard to find ? Are they really good ? PLEASE REPLY NOW (:lol:)

Quaterflash

Michael Stanley Band

Jez : I don't know those two bands... How many albums ? Hard to find ? Are they really good ? PLEASE REPLY NOW (:lol:)

Chris

Quarterflash are good but very lite, kinda a more AOR Fleetwood Mac meets Pat Benatar - Check out their section on the cd listings on HH. All of their discs are easy to get except 'Girl In The Wind' their last one, which ironically, is one of their best, but is quite hard to get. My advice would be go for the S/T or 'Take Another Picture' - both really good.

Michael Stanley band are really good as well, although not all strictly AOR on their early discs. Their best albums for you (and me) would be their early mid 80's AOR stuff like 'Inside Moves' (Excellent disc - re-issued + 5 top notch bonus tracks)) and 'Heartland'. His early stuff is pretty pricey, but these 2 should be reasonably priced and pretty easily avaliable. His solo disc from 1996 'Coming Up For Air' is worth a shout as well - you can get that one real cheap!!!

Knowing your tastes, you won't go wrong with Quarterflash although as I said it is pretty lightweight stuff. Michael Stanley you will love 'Inside Moves' I can pretty much guarantee.

Hope that helps :drink::drink:

Thanks mate :drink: Merci beaucoup !

I'll try to check those albums out... Seems very interesting.

thanks guys, I just got rushed in

Beau Coup-

Haywire-Bad boys

Le Roux---all fired up---with fergie

man, probably in the top 20 aor releases ever these 3 are, where have I been??? hehehe

Haywire-Bad boys

IMHO "Don't Just Stand There" is much better...

Haywire-Bad boys

IMHO "Don't Just Stand There" is much better...

'Bad Boys' has always been their greatest disc for me and one of the best to come out of Canada in the 80's- Very Orphan/Loverboy in style. 'Don't Just Stand There' is good, but not on the same level for me. It all went pretty much downhill after that one with their last 2 discs which were not that great!!!

Any more opinions on the first 2 Haywire discs - PLEASE REPLY NOW!!

'Bad Boys' has always been their greatest disc for me and one of the best to come out of Canada in the 80's- Very Orphan/Loverboy in style. 'Don't Just Stand There' is good, but not on the same level for me. It all went pretty much downhill after that one with their last 2 discs which were not that great!!!

Perhaps it's because I discovered the band with 'Don't Just stand There' and listen to it a lot during this period (especially the song 'Dance Desire' which is my fave)... But 'Bad Boys' is also a great album to my ears (I can't say same with 'Get Off'...) !

off :

PLEASE REPLY NOW!!

LOL it's spreading

well, I am no expert, But I like the first HWire cause it seems more aorish, the second one is a mixed bag for me with some more technish stuff, although I have only heard a few tunes from the second, the first is perfect aor, I will seek out the second one!!!!!

how bout The Ladder, I love that album, never released on cd yet???

cool, hightech(for the early 80's) stuff

wonder why I never heard of that when it was out???

ever being remastered u think????

oh yeah, and where are the re=releases of Preview and DFPearls that Rock Candy was to do at the start of 06??? hmmmm

Good stuff indeed, but not officially on CD yet, as I know... Never seen it on CD (except as a bootleg)... I've just got a good copy... Maybe one day it will be edited.

oh yeah, and where are the re=releases of Preview and DFPearls that Rock Candy was to do at the start of 06??? hmmmm

I'm still waiting for the Preview's album which were announced since a few month now... I know that Jez has posted some informations about Rock Candy, but I don't find the thread... As I remembered, it will be out this autumn (with the DFP)... It's a great album, can't wait !

Concerning DfP : I hope that the forthcoming reissue will included the Live At Saint Louis as bonus tracks...

Good stuff indeed, but not officially on CD yet, as I know... Never seen it on CD (except as a bootleg)... I've just got a good copy... Maybe one day it will be edited.

I'm still waiting for the Preview's album which were announced since a few month now... I know that Jez has posted some informations about Rock Candy, but I don't find the thread... As I remembered, it will be out this autumn (with the DFP)... It's a great album, can't wait !

Concerning DfP : I hope that the forthcoming reissue will included the Live At Saint Louis as bonus tracks...

DFP was meant to be out last monday along with Johnny Van Zant - No More Dirty Deals and Storm - Storm II, but they have been put back until Aug 31st. I was told by a good source that The Preview was listed as Sept, but as with everything Rockcandy, that will probably drop back until probably at least Oct now. We have been waiting sooo long, so another few weeks won't matter.

I know the DFP has 5 bonus tracks, but don't yet know what they are - I am presuming that they are some of the St. Louis show though!!!

• 2 weeks later...